Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Just in from the Consumer Product Safety Commission says to shut down immediately and don't charge your phones could cause fires The Consumer Product Safety Commission issued the strong warning to all Note 7 users Friday, saying they should "power them down and stop charging or using the device."

For more information, go to CPSC: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users should power down, stop using phone due to fire hazard | abc7ny.com

I don't really understand the reasoning here. They say power down the phone and quit using it blah blah.
The problem i have is that they are only extending the process and going to make things move much slower.

The government was like hold on guys why are we not making $ over this recall! This is our job! Make Samsung pay homage to us!

This is just a freaking money grab. Slowing down the process just leaves more "dangerous devices" out in the wild.

I would think that just powering it down wouldn't suffice. The battery i imagine would also need to be drained to eliminate danger right?

Good ole Merica money grab. Capitalism!!

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have not had one issue with my phone. You may have to pry it from my cold, dead, fingers. I have taken some precautions; I only charge the phone while I can monitor it, I do not charge the phone overnight, I only use the provided charger no 3rd party chargers, and I have been watching to see if it gets hot. According to the app it never gets over 95 degrees when charging. I sure hope I can get a replacement rather than having to go to another phone.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would want to have a phone they have to babysit like that when you can get another. To each it's own.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
And NBC enterprise hardware is the iPhone and other Apple products. Wonder if Gizmodo will get a cut too?

Oh God. They cover apple too when they have problems. From antenna gate to bend gate and faulty AC adapters. It happens to all companies they are as big and successful as them. Samsung is in this position because of how successful they are. If this was Apple, it would be an even bigger deal. If it was HTC it would be a lesser deal.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

Why is it we don't see any other pictures or videos of these so called bad N7's?? I have seen 2 that's it. There are claims all over yet we see a blue and black N7. What the other 33 didn't post a pic or what? Same video over and over. Gotta wonder about the validity of this whole mess. Bad battery, bad port layout, or hey we need a recall so we can smash Apple with a totally different spec layout?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't really understand the reasoning here. They say power down the phone and quit using it blah blah.
The problem i have is that they are only extending the process and going to make things move much slower.

The government was like hold on guys why are we not making $ over this recall! This is our job! Make Samsung pay homage to us!

This is just a freaking money grab. Slowing down the process just leaves more "dangerous devices" out in the wild.

I would think that just powering it down wouldn't suffice. The battery i imagine would also need to be drained to eliminate danger right?

Good ole Merica money grab. Capitalism!!

You may be right but there's a protocol that is supposed to be followed for recalls and Samsung was trying to circumvent it. I don't understand why people approve of a company essentially breaking the rules when it involved a product or service they want. Going this way is the best way to get the devices off the street and it forces agencies to monitor and enforce rules around using the device that in turns forces users to take the correct action and return the device. A "voluntary recall" for participation in Samsung's "exchange program" cannot have the impact that a real recall can. And that is more important than anything. Not appeasing people.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well one good thing will come out of this, people that bought them off swappa, eBay, or Craigslist won't be having an issue exchanging now.

Samsung and the carriers should have kept people in the loop and not give so many different answers to confuse everyone, themselves included. Just tonight Verizon informed me that there may not be a note 7 anymore, return or exchange. I will also say the person that told me that was telling me it was the s7 being recalled, not the note 7, I had to set her straight. So the government getting involved is the carriers, retailers, and Samsung fault, they all turned this recall into one big f..... Mess.

the real batman

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
You may be right but there's a protocol that is supposed to be followed for recalls and Samsung was trying to circumvent it. I don't understand why people approve of a company essentially breaking the rules when it involved a product or service they want. Going this way is the best way to get the devices off the street and it forces agencies to monitor and enforce rules around using the device that in turns forces users to take the correct action and return the device. A "voluntary recall" for participation in Samsung's "exchange program" cannot have the impact that a real recall can. And that is more important than anything. Not appeasing people.

Yeah it seems like Samsung made a gross error in judgment in how they chose to handle this. I get that it's a very tiny percentage of devices(which is why I'm going to keep using mine with extra precautions until a replacement N7 is available or it burns up) and that it's more a matter of what may happen that what is likely to happen. I get that it's embarrassing and frustrating and expensive and it sucks because they made an excellent product marred by a flaw in manufacturing that likely doesn't affect the bulk of the devices but now the people who have suffered the most in this process (us) are going to be even more inconvenienced with the government at the very least slowing down the process of replacements being issued. They have more than enough money to afford better advice than they seem to have gotten. The government should have been brought in the second they decided it was a big enough issue to offer the "exchange program". That's over a week now that has been wasted achieving nothing when they could have started whatever process the government takes to test and approve the new safe model. I'm disappointed in that for sure.

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Well I'll be exchanging my Note 7 for an S7 Edge after this. This could potentionally kill the phone altogether. Severely disappointing. Definitely has taught me a lesson, I will not ever buy a phone day of release. I'll be waiting at least a month in the future.

budven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Baby sitting my phone...ha. It charges while sitting on my desk at work or the table beside my chair watching tv. Not hardly babysitting. Prying from by cold, dead fingers, is being a little facetious. Ease up guys and relax a little.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Baby sitting my phone...ha. It charges while sitting on my desk at work or the table beside my chair watching tv. Not hardly babysitting. Prying from by cold, dead fingers, is being a little facetious. Ease up guys and relax a little.

Exactly. Relax. Use your phone and enjoy it. It's a damn good phone. Unfortunately, for a small selection few, it's not what you had hoped. That sucks. But for most folks, it's a matter of time before we get our new Note. Then, it's game on!!!!!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. Relax. Use your phone and enjoy it. It's a damn good phone. Unfortunately, for a small selection few, it's not what you had hoped. That sucks. But for most folks, it's a matter of time before we get our new Note. Then, it's game on!!!!!

I'm doubtful we get them soon though. Maybe late Oct with the gov involved now. Would you say the S7 edge is as good as Iphone 7 plus?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how long are you realistically willing to wait before the new devices are released? Do you have a timeframe before you give up on the phone?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how long are you realistically willing to wait before the new devices are released? Do you have a timeframe before you give up on the phone?

It won't be out next week since the government is involved. I say later in oct sometime they get swapped. I think a small chance Samsung just ditches it this year instead of possibly taking more loses if sales totally tank.

I'm thinking of giving the 7 plus a run and might just order it. At least tons more cases and defender style cases for it and screen protectors and non glass back.

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Look at it this way. Once the inspection on the new phones are done and everyone is taken care of, maybe Samsung will ditch the note series this year. That would make those of us who waited in an exclusive club!

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Look at it this way. Once the inspection on the new phones are done and everyone is taken care of, maybe Samsung will ditch the note series this year. That would make those of us who waited in an exclusive club!

Lol um nope. They better not end the note series. But if they do I can say no matter what....I'm a proud note 7 owner lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair