Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If it is a government recall do you think the note 7 can recover from this, or just forget about the debacle and focus on the Note 8?

Nothing really exists as a mandatory recall, but can be worded in a manner to compel as many as possible to do it. I think the only way to fix this going forward is to go back to replaceable batteries to both gain consumer confidence and mitigate a battery issue in the future.

The Note 7 is a great device with probably a .0014 percent chance of having a torch event. Driving, running, biking, firearms, sports etc has far more likely probably levels of bad luck events than the Note 7.

This BTW presumes the issue is ten time worse than reported and all events were legit in the first place.

If the event is as Samsung stated, an anode / cathode proximity breach (a cell short) this is usually not a time bomb issue through continued use. It should show quickly as short battery life, heat and or a flaming cell soon after several initial charges. Given the burn area pattern of the few devices pictured so far, it would "seem" it is the issue Samsung is noting (sad pun intended).

Depending how big a batch of production is, it would be at least that many suspect batteries if the issue is accurate.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
32gb models on apple site say 2-3 weeks and tmobile basically same time period. I love the Note 7 but this year the stigma is on it and likely won't be able to fly and such with it now. It's safe to say this years is a dud. Not performance and spec wise because it's top of the line phone, but the battery issue. It won't be a good seller and even otterbox probably won't release the defender for it now because not many people will buy the phones.

Yeah 32 gb is 100% out of the question for me. I WILL roll the dice before I switch to any phone that locks me into less than 64 gig with no other option.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I am glad I decided to return mine tonight and get my money back. I just need to find another phone to go to. As much as I hate to I will probably the iPhone 7 plus 256gb.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
There are exactly 6 facts stated in this entire thread... the rest is wild speculation. The only thing more embarrassing that that fact, is that I read all 6 pages.

No one... at least none of us... knows how long a government approval could take. It isn't an act of congress... they could do it pretty darn quick. "see guys, here is our issues, here are our results, and here is our repair" The government isn't going to spend a penny testing the new units. Also "concentrating on making the models for the rest of the world" 2 problems with that statement... first, they make more than one at a time, they can do both, and in any combination they want. one doesn't effect the other... second.. lets just say that the US doesn't approve of the replacements... now all of the other units in the world are suspect..maybe not directly but indirectly.

I would still expect to see some new units by the end of next week, and significant quantities by the end of the month.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm most likely just going to wait it out until some more concrete statements are released. The stores are going to all be packed full of iPhoners this weekend so no point in trying to battle it out at the stores.

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
At this point I am ready to set the thing on fire myself! I am getting so sick of this thing. Keeps getting worse. Oh well, nothing else I want at this point so I am going to keep using it. Hopefully sooner or later I can get a new one.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Updated the Exchange Page!!

to be fair if they're offering loaners now, it's probably going to be awhile before new phones are here. If they were going to be here next week I doubt they'd offer a loaner.

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Let's face facts. There isn't anything out there that will replace a Note phone, strictly from a use perspective. I'm a phone junky and I've had them all. Even the Juke. It's just going to be a waiting game for everyone. Btw, those of you that have been long time Android users iOS will drive you mad. Mad I say!

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
At this point I am ready to set the thing on fire myself! I am getting so sick of this thing. Keeps getting worse. Oh well, nothing else I want at this point so I am going to keep using it. Hopefully sooner or later I can get a new one.

Man this entire thing has been blown so far out of proportion. I really, TRULY doubt this entire situation is anywhere near is serious and as dangerous as people are letting on, I don't care what Samsung or the CPSC says. Samsung obviously did what they had to do in this situation, but this is a failure rate of less than 0.01%. And this sucks in the worst way for Samsung, there is NO DOUBT that this Note 7 is dead in the water at this point, this bad publicity has been enough to kill it off, even if it ends up coming back. And it sucks in the worst way for us as consumers because even the few glitches this phone has (and it does have a few from time to time) this is still the best phone on the market (including iPhone 7)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I wonder how long Apple lobbyists asked to delay?? ;)

"Exchange current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 (pending CPSC approval)."

Sad stuff, since barring some sudden government Epiphany of speed, it could be a while.

Samsung would be foolish to stick with fixed battery designs now.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes I know they can make more than one at a time.. didn't say they would completely stop snapdragon units... but if there is any hint of a slowdown because of CPSC involvement, I am just saying N7 production and rest of year recovery doesnt come down to a halt because of the CPSC... business goes on and Samsung can just concentrate on Exynos unit production and all other countries will probably get their replacements according to plan and they will be back to selling to new customers as soon as possible. The snapdragons models they do make can do to the Canadians.

I don't really see if the US Govt doesnt approve the replacements how the rest of the world's production is suspect. They determined the problem and have the fix in place. Samsung may have hurdles to jump with other government agencies. US involvement may get other countries agencies to take a look. But it's not definite it will effect their plans in other countries.

There are exactly 6 facts stated in this entire thread... the rest is wild speculation. The only thing more embarrassing that that fact, is that I read all 6 pages.

No one... at least none of us... knows how long a government approval could take. It isn't an act of congress... they could do it pretty darn quick. "see guys, here is our issues, here are our results, and here is our repair" The government isn't going to spend a penny testing the new units. Also "concentrating on making the models for the rest of the world" 2 problems with that statement... first, they make more than one at a time, they can do both, and in any combination they want. one doesn't effect the other... second.. lets just say that the US doesn't approve of the replacements... now all of the other units in the world are suspect..maybe not directly but indirectly.

I would still expect to see some new units by the end of next week, and significant quantities by the end of the month.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site

to be fair if they're offering loaners now, it's probably going to be awhile before new phones are here. If they were going to be here next week I doubt they'd offer a loaner.

This is the most intelligent thing you've said all night, and I can't argue with you on this - makes sense to me.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

This is the most intelligent thing you've said all night, and I can't argue with you on this - makes sense to me.

Thanks. I'm just ticked because something inside me said I shouldn't pre order as I never did before :( Honestly even if two weeks from now the new phones are here it's going to be a stigma for at least this years notes. Kinda like herpes, won't go away.

I'm likely going to order the 32 gb Iphone 7 Plus and with the savings order a spare charger, and get an Defender case. At least I can relearn a new OS for a change and maybe it will make the Note 8 look like a huge upgrade then.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung SDI is no longer supplying the batteries for the Note 7... so most likely it's the Chinese supplying most of the batteries unless they sourced out others already. Most gov'ts shouldn't have any issues if Samsung says the phones they are using batteries known to be good and no longer using the supplier of the faulty batteries.

The US probably wouldnt have a problem either... except Samsung didn't go to through the CPSC. Now it's blown up in their face. Pun intended.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
CPSC interfering with Note7 users desiring replacement Note7s from getting devices

As some on the board have already mentioned the CPSC has stepped in and is preventing Samsung and the carriers from allowing people to get the exchange Note7 phones in place of the recalled Note7 phones.

Samsung has revised their exchange page (Galaxy Note7 Exchange Program) to read:

Through the U.S. Note7 Exchange Program, you can:
Exchange current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 (pending CPSC approval). Until time of approval, select carrier and retail outlets will provide customers, who prefer a replacement Note7, with a Samsung J Series loaner phone to use until new Note7s are available.
Exchange current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7 specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices.

In other words those of us that desire a replacement Note7 are indefinitely prevented from getting one, and the only replacement phone option we are being given (if we desire a Note 7) is a low quality inferior Samsung J Series loaner phone (no S7 or S7 edge) loaner option.
Carriers may have the replacement Note7 phones, but can't give them to us because the CPSC is now preventing them.
The CPSC is illogically preventing us from replacing Note7 with potentially dangerous batteries with Note7 that have been tested and manufactured to have stable batteries.

I'm thinking those of us Note7 owners desiring new Note7 phones should let the CPSC and Samsung know that a weak Samsung J as a temporary phone (for an unspecified (and possibly forever) length of time) is unacceptable. At the worst we should be allowed S7 and S7 temporary phones as options.

Using Verizon as an example. The only J series phone available in the lineup is :

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...artphones/samsung-galaxy-j3-v/&token=hfHVq6H5

5.0 screen ( vastly inferior to our 5.7 Note7 screen)
2600 battery ( vastly inferior to our 3500 Note7 batteries)
1.5 gb ram 16gb rom (vastly inferior to our 4gb ram 64gb rom Note7)
expandable memory limited to 128gb (meaning we can't use our 256gb cards we got in the promotion)
I'm sure many of us were using phones superior to the J before we moved on to the Note7 phones.

Who else thinks this prevention of us getting new Note7 phones, and limiting us to the inferior J phones is unacceptable?

Who else thinks we should contact the CPSC and Samsung about this turn for the worst in the exchange plan?

What do you think about this latest change to the "exchange program"?

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site

Thanks. I'm just ticked because something inside me said I shouldn't pre order as I never did before :( Honestly even if two weeks from now the new phones are here it's going to be a stigma for at least this years notes. Kinda like herpes, won't go away.

I'm likely going to order the 32 gb Iphone 7 Plus and with the savings order a spare charger, and get an Defender case. At least I can relearn a new OS for a change and maybe it will make the Note 8 look like a huge upgrade then.

Good luck with that. It's easy to go from iOS to Android and be happy. It's much more problematic to go from Android (if that's what you're used to) to iOS. And 32 gigs is actually only going to be like 23 gigs out of the box - and iCloud will only get you so much further and has a lot of its own issues.

Not saying you won't like the iPhone and/or iOS, just don't expect the kind of experience you get with Android.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: CPSC interfering with Note7 users desiring replacement Note7s from getting devices

I don't even want to talk about that trash J series phone...what a joke. Might as well just trade your Note 7 in for a turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.