Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
1 in 1800 is not a small percentage for something exploding or catching on fire.

I have no idea where you are pulling that figure from. Are people trying to divide the number of phones sold by the number of reports of battery failures to come up with some false statistic?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It was thrown around in an earlier post and that person considered that a reasonably low percentage. I doubt anyone who doesn't work for Samsung knows and they may not fully know either.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It would be in Samsung's best interest to provide information as to the expected date for the new stock. If they take too long they may lose some customers to the iPhone 7.Secondly along with the $25, Samsung should give all returned customers the supped up Note 7 that was made for china, besides that would speed up the process if the CPSC take too long as that Note 7 is a different model.

Best Buy was about to announce for some carriers next week, but all on hold until the CPSC goes through their process motions. If they follow their normal process, not sure how this is done quickly.

Need to audit production plants
Sub component plants
ISO Quality procedures
Test many samples from batches
Interview staff

Oh, and schedule dates and travel for that.

THEN they review the data, debrief auditors and THEN meet with Samsung.

IF the CPSC applies normal due diligence, this is weeks.

If there are significant findings and failure of samples of new batches, it would pretty much kill an already maimed Note 7.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Best Buy was about to announce for some carriers next week, but all on hold until the CPSC goes through their process motions. If they follow their normal process, not sure how this is done quickly.

Need to audit production plants
Sub component plants
ISO Quality procedures
Test many samples from batches
Interview staff

Oh, and schedule dates and travel for that.

THEN they review the data, debrief auditors and THEN meet with Samsung.

IF the CPSC applies normal due diligence, this is weeks.

If there are significant findings and failure of samples of new batches, it would pretty much kill an already maimed Note 7.

HAs to be someway they streamline this. I wouldn't exactly trust the gubermint being an expert in testing all this stuff anyways. I'm sure Samsung's people are much more experts in this kind of stuff.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
HAs to be someway they streamline this. I wouldn't exactly trust the gubermint being an expert in testing all this stuff anyways. I'm sure Samsung's people are much more experts in this kind of stuff.

Samsung needs to invest in more lobbyists. It helps Apple avoid literally billions in taxes. That revenue shortfall of course is absorbed mainly by the middle class. Apple customers should get a rebate from Apple ;) All paying tax payers should really.....

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Where do you come up with a number of 350. If you want to assume failures out of 2,400,000 units sold... Samsung had said the batteries effected accounted for .1% of total units made... 2,400,000... so you're looking at 2,400 explosive devices out there right?

Based on assuming 350 failures of 2,400,000 instead of 35 plus, it would be 1 in 6,893.. Something like that... Too lazy to go to a calculator.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: U.S. and Samsung tell Galaxy Note 7 owners: Power down now

I hope everybody gets the new one before they start this process or it may be longer.

You can switch out thru Verizon and when Note7 is back can get it .. better to be safe. I went tonight. Got edge7 and when Note 7 is back will get it. This is great for us as Verizon customers.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Folks still using the N7, probably best to turn off rapid charging.

Seems that if Samsung is being forthright (must be with CPSC involved now), and is an anode / cathode breach, it should have already shown symptoms of heat, low battery life or flamed out. If Samsung is not being forthright and there are impurity issues with the battery layers, then an additional mitigation step is to turn off rapid charging to reduce charging stress.

That said, if impurities are an issue, that should have shown as well. Especially if a launch day purchase.

BTW, the Jeep fire story seems a tad fishy, but I am inherently skeptical.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Where do you come up with a number of 350. If you want to assume failures out of 2,400,000 units sold... Samsung had said the batteries effected accounted for .1% of total units made... 2,400,000... so you're looking at 2,400 explosive devices out there right?

Did not see that. I thought they worded "less than .1%" which is known as stat hedging. I took the 35 apparent failures (important distinction from actual) and multiplied by ten.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea where you are pulling that figure from. Are people trying to divide the number of phones sold by the number of reports of battery failures to come up with some false statistic?

I thought I saw 38 reported incidents and they sold 2M (not sure how many of those were actually shipped/received by customers though)...

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Folks still using the N7, probably best to turn off rapid charging.

Mine has been off since the official announcement of the recall and I don't car charge either... Only use official charger until my replacement comes

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I just did quick Google to see if I could find it and referencing a CNN link...

Confused about the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall? Here's what to do - Sep. 10, 2016

"The issue is only believed to affect 0.1% of all devices." And they mention 2.5 million units so we are talking a possible 2,500 units.

Sorry I Googled "Stat hedging" and doesn't exist in Googleland so I don't know what it means... I think in PR speak, it probably means "I think we are hedging our bets that we'll have it contained and enough phones of those 2,500 explosive devices returned to not have to say 2,500 explosive devices"... stat hedging ;)

Did not see that. I thought they worded "less than .1%" which is known as stat hedging. I took the 35 apparent failures (important distinction from actual) and multiplied by ten.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Faulty Note 7 safe storage suggestions

Due to the polite, but firm suggestion that all Note 7 owners power down and discontinue use of their device until it is returned/replaced, and all the issues with returning said devices, i thought i might share my method of 'safely' storing my own Note 7, which i have thus far been unable to return to its store of origin, Best Buy.

I make no warranties or claims in any event of damage, etc; this is purely my own method of storing said device in as safe as a manner as was readily available to me at the time. Our apartment is pretty small, and i'd rather not have any fiasco whatsoever, so decided to act with an abundance of caution. Also, my GF is horrified its going to explode at any moment, so more or less trying to assuage her fears as well; a mutual friend had one of those hoverboards nearly torch their garage, so i can understand her concern. Also, we are expecting, so there's that as well. As some of you know, my GF is an attorney, i also have a legal background, and i try to approach everything with a scientific, logical mindset. That said, i was also once accused of being 'criminally negligent' for forgetting to water a plant i had bought her lol.

First, i decided to pick up a smoke detector at a local hardware shop with a 30 day return policy, knowing i would be able to return BOTH the Note 7 and smoke detector within a 30 day period. I allowed the Note 7 to get to 45% battery charge, and powered it down; 40-50% is supposed to be a more stable storage charge than 0-20%, and 80-100%. I then picked out a wide, thick cast iron cooking pan to place the Note 7 in, although ceramic, such as a flower pot, or any inert (not aluminum, or coated/teflon type pans), thick solid uncoated steel, brick, cement, etc would also work, and all have very good thermal properties, with no chance of chemical reaction with burning lithium. I also put a stainless steel bowl, upside down, over the Note 7 which i left backside down, and left the smoke detector resting at an angle in the cast iron skillet, inlet facing the phones' front, left side as viewed from the face of the device (ie closest to the battery). I tested the smoke detector as well (GF's idea). I then used a ceramic cooking dish to elevate the cast iron skillet containing the smoke detector, stainless steel bowl, and Note 7 a few inches. Aluminum and copper are excellent conductors; hence i would avoid their use. Ceramic and cast iron are decent insulators, hence my preference.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Status