Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jabloomf1230

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

I agree with you but many people are holding onto the 35-40 mantra as justification that their phone is fine.
It's 35 or 40 failures over a very short period of time. What if the probability of battery failure increases over time? Most systems fail more frequently as they wear out.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It's 35 or 40 failures over a very short period of time. What if the probability of battery failure increases over time? Most systems fail more frequently as they wear out.
That assumes all systems are flawed. I thought it was only some of them, in which case the longer you have your phone the less likely it is to have the flaw, statistically speaking.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Because incorrect fearmongering statements aren't helpful. So far there have been no confirmed cases of batteries catching fire unrelated to charging. Not sure why you felt the need to rely on an incorrect statement to encourage people to return their devices.
Nothing I said was fear mongering. How a person perceives something in print is their own deal, not mine. Fact - "defective battery". Stating that people need to be responsible is not fear mongering, it just is.

Incorrect statement. LOL That is comical considering people are suggesting and encouraging *safer* charge options. That's about as incorrect as it can be.

Understanding how a battery works and what makes it ignite makes the charging theories hogwash. That's it. There is nothing to figure out.

Again, you missed the point entirely. Because it's the battery, it simply does not make a difference if an incident is confirmed and unconfirmed.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Based to some degree on the worry for using the Note 7, we should also perhaps pursue banning fireworks, since exponentially more people (especially under 21) have been injured or worse through the years. Okay, some were when drunk, but still the point is there are things with a bigger chance to hurt or kill that people approach daily as "meh" until something happens.

I keep hearing about issues happening "daily" and piling up by some posters and the media, yet the same garage and Jeep events are recycled as new, but people just now finding out. The terrible event with the 6 year old is new, but even that has respectfully yet to be verified. People even stating it was not charging while being used , but says nothing about that in the article.

All things presumed constant, anode / cathode layer breaches do not normally behave in a ticking bomb manner after initial charges and use. If it is something else beyond that and Samsung is not forthright, kiss the Note 7 (at least) goodbye. Too much attention, especially if/when the three incidents above are verified as legit concerning the Note 7.

The only thing I can think of that would cause a breach after initial charges and use is if a sharp object penetrates the cell and creates anode / cathode contact (a breach). If a layer insulation defect, the energy for an explosive like failure is not normally going to lay dormant for days and weeks of use and then suddenly, kapow!

It would be interesting to see the CPSC's findings, but that would also mean they took the time to visit, audit, interview and test the cells. That means weeks before good. None of this will add up if the issue is so grave as the media points out and this is fast tracked. Point here is I would not be surprised if this takes longer than people might expect. Again, if as dire as perceived.
Re: the battery *odes. If the separator is not adequate, it can 'wear' over time. Charging and discharging both can affect it, and each can be happening the time the separator fails.

Re: comparing this situation to banning other dangerous activities. That's absurd. There is no proposed ban on Li-ion batteries, just a recall on this particular batch.

No drama or ill will intended.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I understand batteries from a chemical, physics, production, quality and post failure perspective. All batteries from garage openers to stationary cells for hospital, nuclear and subs.

There is respectfully a lot bogus info being posted in forums and the media and it seems to be a closed loop of the same info then being established as "fact".

None the less, I respect the caution.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: the battery *odes. If the separator is not adequate, it can 'wear' over time. Charging and discharging both can affect it, and each can be happening the time the separator fails.

Re: comparing this situation to banning other dangerous activities. That's absurd. There is no proposed ban on Li-ion batteries, just a recall on this particular batch.

No drama or ill will intended.

The wear typically results in reduced capacitance and heat, but rarely explosions.

The fireworks analogy is in relation to the apparent level of worry of the Note 7 and not a ban.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I understand batteries from a chemical, physics, production, quality and post failure perspective. All batteries from garage openers to stationary cells for hospital, nuclear and subs.

There is respectfully a lot bogus info being posted in forums and the media and it seems to be a closed loop of the same info then being established as "fact".

None the less, I respect the caution.

My information on batteries doesn't come from media or forums. I haven't read one article about the recall, nor have I seen any news reports on it. I don't watch news. Having said that, based on your comments your understanding of batteries is more extensive than mine, and I have no problem admitting that.

Eh, I'll clarify for the sake of being transparent. My opinion and stance on the 'safe charging' information does, in fact, come from the forums since that's where the encouragement to do so comes from.

Confirmation bias works both ways and can be detrimental (It's simply a word, not a dramatic word. Stating that as a disclaimer since I am now viewed as dramatic by some. Lol), especially in the case of batteries. Everytime a battery is charged safely, there is 'confirmation' it is safe. Not so, at all, as you are most assuredly aware.

At any rate, to each his own, and the bottom line is there is a safety issue. Safety comes first, and should overrule any confirmation bias. I have a safety background; however even without that, I would defer to common sense.

Appreciate the discussion rather than a more aggressive attack. (She says after wishing harm on the 6 year old's parent/s.)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Another explosion! This time injuring a 6-yr old boy

My question is....can the phone explode when its not charging? The article never said if the phone was charging or not

A 6-year-old Brooklyn boy suffered burns when one of Samsung’s recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones exploded in his hands — and his grandmother says he’s too scared to go near any other devices.

The boy was using the phone at home in East Flatbush Saturday night when it suddenly burst into flames, his grandmother said Sunday.

“The child was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded,” Linda Lewis said of her grandson.

“It set off alarms in my house.”

The boy’s family called 911 just before 8 p.m., and he was rushed to Downstate Medical Center with burns to his body.

“He is home now,” Lewis said. “He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother.”

The grandmother said the family has been in contact with Samsung about the incident and declined to comment further.

Samsung has been warning users of overheating and exploding batteries in the phone — and earlier Saturday urged owners to turn the devices off immediately and take them in for an exchange.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The wear typically results in reduced capacitance and heat, but rarely explosions.

The fireworks analogy is in relation to the apparent level of worry of the Note 7 and not a ban.

Granted. But heat *can* affect the polymer whichever direction the ions are moving, and this is not a typical situation, admittedly so by Samsung.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The main points though regardless are IMO: Caution is good and this situation sucks.
Absolutely. We'll all have decisions to make once we get the final word on the process, and it sucks whatever the outcome. I don't want to wait for the next version, but if this takes a couple months or so, I will likely wait and hope it is not delayed in 2017 from this mess. That makes me very sad. 😔

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I just want a timeline, like everyone else. Can I go to iPhone 7 and wait for the note? On big red, they're doing the double exchange

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely. We'll all have decisions to make once we get the final word on the process, and it sucks whatever the outcome. I don't want to wait for the next version, but if this takes a couple months or so, I will likely wait and hope it is not delayed in 2017 from this mess. That makes me very sad. ??????

Someone else in another thread was in BB too and said they had them locked up and the sales guy said they think Wed they will be able to start swapping them. I hope when I come home from work tomorrow I get on the computer and see they have been approved.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1