Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
How Are You Handling the Recall

Well, I've been hanging in there with my N7 waiting for the dust to settle. I love the phone, but every day seems to bring on news of a new fireball somewhere, and its getting a bit hairy (although I practice "safe charging"). The worst effect of the recall for me is that I can't enjoy the phone to the fullest (customizing, apps, etc), as I know I will be turning it in soon.

Given that the safe N7s won't ship to the US until at least the 19th of this month, after the new iPhone hits the shelves this week, I might get a refund on my N7, take the iPhone for a spin, and return it in 14 days for a safe N7 (with whatever goodies may come with it) - depending on how much I may miss the N7.

In the meantime, I've heard reports that the Airlines are considering banning all Samsung phones from flights to avoid having to train their employees to discern the N7 from the rest.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Re: How Are You Handling the Recall

They will lift bans after govt approval.

I returned my note 7 for the S7 edge until the new approved notes come in Stock.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Also, remember that Smart Switch can back up your entire phone and copy it back to the replacement unit, customization and all... so customize away!

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

I am still using my pre-ordered phone the same as before. I have not experienced any issues at all with the phone getting hot. It has also been charged on different chargers (portables, car chargers, etc.) with no issues. I'm still loving every minute with this phone & will not be turning it in.

NCTRNL2

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

I'm basically just trying to move forward like normal. I will return it when they have a replacement for me. I'm not returning it for another type of phone. I switched from iOS for this phone, not any other. It's not easy...I still get a bit worried when I charge the phone and everything. I get annoyed...because it sure doesn't seem like there's anything we can do to get this taken care of quickly. It seems that they have botched this pretty good and it's not getting any better.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I am still using my pre-ordered phone the same as before. I have not experienced any issues at all with the phone getting hot. It has also been charged on different chargers (portables, car chargers, etc.) with no issues. I'm still loving every minute with this phone & will not be turning it in.

Don't chance it. I know where you're coming from, and it might seem your unit is not affected, but play it safe. Get it replaced, if not right now, at least when the replacement units become available. The manufacturer is making it 'easy' to do, carriers are making it 'easy' to do... You'll get a new phone in a couple weeks. Just play it safe.

I'm sure the guy that burned down the hotel room, the guy from the Jeep, and the guy who had his kid injured all thought: meh, it's not heating up, it won't happen to me. Better safe than sorry, guys. You don't want to be the next 'Note 7 explodes' article.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Waiting for the new Notes to come in to the "V of Doom" before I exchange mine.
Meanwhile, I'm using my "V of Doom" V10.

Maybe I'll think of something. I might turn on my Note 7 again to do SmartSwitch.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

I returned for a refund. I was going to wait but Friday's announcement coupled with uncertainty as to how long refunds would be allowed forced my hand. I picked up an S7E on craigslist for a low enough price to resell. I'm going to check out the iphone this week and wait for the dust to settle on the N7. In a perfect world, the N7 will return with great incentives and I'll rebuy. My N7 experienced a ton of lag which I have confirmed via my buttery smooth used S7E. But, the N7 feels way more premium and I miss it already. I really hope they can fix the lag.

NCTRNL2

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

I really don't think of this as an overheating issue. Sounds like the failure is critical and will happen regardless of "heat".

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible to charge the phone partially submerged in water to prevent overheating?

Nope, the phone will detect humidity and prevent charging. Plus, the phone is only rated for waterproofing for 30 minutes; even if it worked, you'd have to limit your charging sessions to no longer than that.

comestim

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I know the way AT&T is handling it you can get the VR. You can take back the Note and they refund you then can pick between the s7, s7 active or S7 edge and it is a new device on your contract that shows you are eligible for upgrade so when the note 7 comes back in you can upgrade to it again. Several people have submitted for the VR and have been approved according to the posts I have seen.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Same here still with my Note 7...mine does not overheat at all
I talked with a Samsung Rep who said they are waiting for CPSC to approve the replacements before they ship them out...I'll be using mine till then, but not as hard as I normally would just to be careful

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The microsd card is worth more than the vr. Out of the 3 vr< watch < micro sd card. At least in terms of price.

We got the SD card for pre ordering and purchasing the Note 7.
Samsung only offering a measly $25.00 bill credit is a huge slap in the face with this whole mess.
I still sit here today with no replacement Note 7 and a crap load of speculation. :(

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible to charge the phone partially submerged in water to prevent overheating?

There is a HUGE misunderstanding of the problem, and people are applying issues with other phones to the Note 7 problem. Let me clarify, from what Samsung themselves published recently.

(my technical explanation on roughly how batteries work) The battery is 2 cathodes, a positive and a negative, and electrons flow in 1 direction to charge, and the other direction to operate the phone. There is a chemical mixture between the 2 cathodes.

(Samsung explanation of the problem, paraphrased) Due to a manufacturing defect, the 2 electrodes can touch. If they come in contact with each other bad things happen. Remember the steel wool and the 9v battery... yep like that only much more powerful.

At NO point has charging or excess heat been listed as a problem (ok, excess heat, but only when exploding). You are NOT safe by wireless charging, you are NOT safe by anything you do with charging.. charging is NOT directly involved. it can go pop without being on a charger. No one knows what triggers the 2 cathodes to touch, but odds are some sort of jarring impact seems likely. Might not even need to be that jarring.

Do yourself a favor... get it changed out, don't trust it. It could happen to you at any time, there are NO activities that will make it safer and there is no way to "feel" like it is going to be a problem. Your phone could be ice cold, and then for whatever reason the cathodes touch, and it will get very hot, very fast.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
We got the SD card for pre ordering and purchasing the Note 7. Samsung only offering a measly $25.00 bill credit is a huge slap in the face with this whole mess.
I still sit here today with no replacement Note 7 and a crap load of speculation. :(
If I don't hear something this week I'm either getting the s7edge to take advantage of that promotion or trying the iPhone challenge for a year lol

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I still have my Note 7, but it is turned off and I am not using it to be on the safe side. However, I am not going to return it until I have a new Note 7 to replace it. I'm sure it will be a long wait. I know I'll get screwed it I trade it in for a "loaner" and then try to trade back for a new Note 7.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

I keep calling Verizon everyday about the new Note7, still waiting, im holding on tho my phone. Until the new ones show up.

The jeep burning up, the kid burned, the garage up in flames are nothing but scams.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I talked to Samsung and they guaranteed me they fixed the issue with the replacements....seems reassuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante