Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: More than 70 phones are already explode in United states

On lady's dog and bed got burned due to material ejecting from the faulty device

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If true, wouldn't this indicate more than just a cell issue? If the problem of anode/cathode short (or whatever it is, I'm not a battery tech) then it could happen regardless of charhe level... right?

Or is this maybe just to limit the amount of energy potentially vented?

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: 6 Year old boy NOT burned by a Note 7

Apple had a phone explode recently when someone had one in their pocket and fell over on it. The fact is that we are dealing with combustibles. There is always going to be a risk that something will 'explode'. Samsung phones are getting more attention right now because of the recall.

THIS just happened August 2nd but was overshadowed by the Samsung recall:

Cyclist Falls With iPhone in Pocket, iPhone Explodes and Causes Third Degree Burns*[Warning: Graphic]

Sadly phones do catch fire.....Samsung is doing what they can to deal with the issue and I couldn't agree with this article that I read this morning more:

Don't blame Samsung

The recall has been made, replacement phones are available and those who choose not to participate are taking a risk. Grant it, that risk should not have been there in the first place, but it is. And in not exchanging your phone or getting a loaner you are now responsible if something occurs.

I love my Note 7, have a loaner device on the way from TMO and cannot wait to get my permanent replacement <3

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

Samsung at this point should just pull the plug on Note 7, give everyone a replacement S7E with a free sd card or something, and push the Grace UX update to S7E. Going forward, they should just ditch the note lineup altogether and instead just make one of the S8 phones come with a S Pen.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: More than 70 phones are already explode in United states

I have the feeling that we'll soon be seeing reports of other Samsung phones blowing up. To be honest, lithium ion batteries are a problem. They're prone to blowing up - that goes for all manufacturers. But now that Samsung is being targeted by the media, every burning Samsung phone will make front-page news. I honestly don't see how Samsung will be recovering from that.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just don't understand why people need to get into such partisan debates over a phone.

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't understand it. I use phone iPhones and Android so probably why I don't understand it. But people go the extra mile to praise the company that makes the device they love and bash the one that doesn't. I'm not married to any of these devices and they all just want my information and money. Therefore, I have no loyalty to any of them.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If true, wouldn't this indicate more than just a cell issue? If the problem of anode/cathode short (or whatever it is, I'm not a battery tech) then it could happen regardless of charhe level... right?

Or is this maybe just to limit the amount of energy potentially vented?

The phone (and most others) heat up like crazy during an update when "optimizing apps". That's going to be interesting.

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
"The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

I read this article while walking to work this morning and felt that it had a lot of valid points:

You Can't Blame Samsung

At this time Samsung has issued a recall on all phones and all carriers (in the US) are offering replacement phones until the Note 7 can be replaced with a ‘safe’ device. Yet, stories about phones exploding are continuing to trickle in.

The question really becomes: Who is to blame from the point of recall forward?

This is sort of a double edged sword. Yes, Samsung unleashed a dangerous device on the market and it has caused damage to not only property but to people’s physical being as well. However, they did acknowledge this and worked quickly to A) Issue the recall and B) Work with carriers to get refunds or replacement devices into the hands of owners.

So who is to blame now?

I am guilty of still having my ‘original’ Note 7. I have to say that I still have mine as, when the recall was first issued, TMO’s recall procedure was abysmal. My options were to get a refund and go phoneless until the new N7’s hit the market or return my N7 and buy a replacement device which I might then be stuck with should the new N7’s not release within the return period for the device I had to buy.

However, as of today TMO is offering to send out a replacement device. Pair that with the notion that rumors are swirling that replacement N7’s might not hit the hands of those that want them until October or November and you better believe that I have a shiny new S7 Edge on the way to my mailbox as I type this.

I digress though, the fact is that there are people that are choosing not to participate in this recall. Heck, I bet there are people that will keep their old N7’s even after a plethora of replacement units hit stores.

Hours/days/weeks/months/years down the road will there ever be a point where Sammy will be able to put their foot down and say "We warned you!" and refuse to pay damages without looking like the 'bad guy'?

So the question here is:

Who is to blame for phones that explode after the official recall was put into place?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 7 will soon feature 2100mah battery

You need to read the article you have just linked. The article is for the Korean market ONLY. There, Samsung is threatening a software update for existing N7's in Korea that aren't exchanged, that would limit charging them beyond 60 percent. That power penalty would probably be enough to get most people to trade their phone in for another N7 that wouldn't be limited by software.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

whoever the media decides to portray probably. Not that I think that's a good thing.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: 6 Year old boy NOT burned by a Note 7

This makes things far worse!! Now, it's not just a Note 7 catching fire, it's a different Galaxy device. This can easily cast doubt on all Samsung phones. Truly a worst case scenario. And what I reiterated before in another thread, that Samsung needs to get it's quality control in order. As I said before, Samsung washing machines have also been recalled and there have been reports of them catching fire also.

First of all, love your forum name :)

Not really, since other phones and devices have this randomly happen (very small fractions of percentages) and apparently the circumstances with this event are in question now. The family even stated it was a "Note 7"- unless the reported lied. Makes me wonder about some of the other events that are being treated as absolute.

I understand the battery process since was part of it from my coop college days and then professionally (left eventually because frankly it is a nasty/hot process).

The battery should fail within several days of charging or use (poor battery life, heat, or cell reaction- fire). Anything after this would likely be normal battery failure events (stops working or low battery life). Pretty much the only practical way to go boom after that is to take a needle or other sharp object and penetrate the case and cell to cause the anode / cathode layers to chemically short.

Is this absolute? Nope, but I wager an accident driving or some other bad event is more likely. I will continue using my Note 7 until I get the replacement. If I should use the same percentage probability of Note 7 failure as a litmus, I should stop driving as well.

Last edited:

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

whoever the media decides to portray probably. Not that I think that's a good thing.

Isn't that the truth. I mean a guy had an iphone explode in his back pocket and he suffered third degree burns but because Apple is the 'media's darling' you just didn't hear anything about it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't understand it. I use phone iPhones and Android so probably why I don't understand it. But people go the extra mile to praise the company that makes the device they love and bash the one that doesn't. I'm not married to any of these devices and they all just want my information and money. Therefore, I have no loyalty to any of them.
I love both platforms as well. I've been known to dog Samsung in the past because I personally thought TouchWiz was awful. The Note 7 is the first phone that had a decent version of it in my opinion. I also disapproved of the Lee family that runs Samsung.

With that said, I was happy with my Note 7 that's sitting in its box until I can get a replacement. I'm sticking with it though.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

Samsung at this point should just pull the plug on Note 7, give everyone a replacement S7E with a free sd card or something, and push the Grace UX update to S7E. Going forward, they should just ditch the note lineup altogether and instead just make one of the S8 phones come with a S Pen.
If we wanted the s7 we would have bought one in the first place. Samsung needs to get the replacement out asap and the government needs to help speed the process up, not hinder it

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, if I wanted a an s7 edge at this point I would not buy it for $750. The edge is nice, but the note is much better hardware.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It would be really messed up if it turns out the events like with the child get debunked and turns out other things were factors that caused the events. Still seems that Gizmodo and other media outlets fanned the flames, called the FAA, CPSC for comments and then national media got on board- then the same events kept getting cycled as new events- just like in the forums here. Samsung reacted to avoid class action issues and probably saw this as a least of evils. Probably about $2 billion worth for total cost (logistics, legal fees, lost launch period sales, market share hit, etc).

If I did not have a comprehension of how batteries work I admit that perhaps I would be in the same camp as a lot of folks here and disagreeing with this post. I am not saying this is what happened, but saying it would be messed up if pans out it is. The point is statistically with batteries there ARE anode / cathode potential for failures in production and is factored in (Apple has failures too). Perhaps Samsung road the hysteria and fell into it as well- but who could blame them? Hindsight is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670