• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How Are You Handling the Recall

This is the best way to back up & restore a phone?? you need a computer to do it?

An iPhone does everything into iCloud, no computer required ever.

iPhones are way ahead of the game when it comes to backups...mostly because the next iPhone is exactly the same as the one before :p But jab aside, yeah, they're better at this and have been for a while.

That being said, newer Samsung phones will also let you back up the device to Samsung Cloud. You don't need a computer to back up with Smart Switch (like me and the article says, you can do so directly to SD card or internal memory and you can copy that to your cloud storage of choice, or even skip that and just hook up phone to phone). BUT this 'full backup' only works for Samsung phones. Non-Sammy devices are limited to basic back ups of media, contacts, most cases texts, etc.

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Really all we want from them is a date. Samsung told me that stores even have the S ones in stock but can't sell them. The cpsc needs to get going and Samsung needs to grease someones hand to get going and say yes or no on the device. I mean how long does it take to check a phone out. They get a replacement and check it our for a few days and read all the stuff they most likely do not have a clue about anyway and then say yes nor no. All us note 7 owners want is a date. Or even a about date but until the cpsc gets off there butts and takes a day or 2 at the most to look things over and say yes or no it is really simple.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: How Are You Handling the Recall

iPhones are way ahead of the game when it comes to backups...mostly because the next iPhone is exactly the same as the one before :p But jab aside, yeah, they're better at this and have been for a while.

That being said, newer Samsung phones will also let you back up the device to Samsung Cloud. You don't need a computer to back up with Smart Switch (like me and the article says, you can do so directly to SD card or internal memory and you can copy that to your cloud storage of choice, or even skip that and just hook up phone to phone). BUT this 'full backup' only works for Samsung phones. Non-Sammy devices are limited to basic back ups of media, contacts, most cases texts, etc.

Not if you're on Verizon. They block it from the Note lol. There's an around about way to make Samsung cloud visible but most people won't know.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Samsung created this mess. The CPSC are doing their jobs, albeit slower than we'd like. Full blame still lies with Samsung for not doing proper quality control. Of the $25B value Samsung has lost over the past few days, would it have been worth it to let the release date slip to avoid this mess?

Samsung should also have already hired a crisis management firm to get consistent and clear communication out to its customers and partners. They continue to make a bad situation worse by NOT COMMUNICATING.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

No matter what, Samsung is always going to be partly liable for putting the 'dangerous' device out there initially. Remember the hot coffee lawsuit? McD's had to pay for a person spilling hot coffee on themselves.

In the legal field (criminal and civil, tiny amount of corporate) I pretty much see it all. Alot of it I find unfair, but some juries will award money for a dog tinkling on someone's lawn and a kid getting a rash from it. So yeah, to some extent, Samsung will be liable.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: 6 Year old boy NOT burned by a Note 7

A Samsung representative could fart and a Samsung phone would be blamed. It's just the way our news frenzy works. Eventually, the next story will take over the cycle.

Samsung just needs to clear up this mess as quickly as possible. Right now they're bleeding out...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This would not be such a huge issue if replaceable batteries. Each battery has a lot code (even the cheapos do) and easier to expedite one item than having to get them in new phones, ship, etc. People can say what they like, but absolutely Samsung would have saved billions were it not for their tunnel vision of forcing two year retirement curves on devices. In their defense Apple has done it for years and can catch fire on a plane and nobody blinks.

Fires with batteries happen out of millions of devices (for various reasons)- no fiscal way to 100% QC that issue. The total cost long-term fix to mitigate cost and customer impact is replaceable batteries and accept a longer retirement curve.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung limiting charge to 60% for current Note 7's to "help" with the explosion problem

So now people will just think it's fine to keep using it. They will be in little hurry to turn it in. Dangerous move IMO.

Your caution is absolutely appreciated and if I had not worked in the battery industry I would be with you. The types of failures tend to not stay dormant after weeks of use and charges. Batteries do not tend to work that way and the articles about vibration concerns (in relation to this type of battery and device footprint) conjectured in some articles are comical.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

Is this the end for Samsung?

Guys, we may be looking at the end here.
df176b3986993044e48288c6b4047e8d.jpg

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

No matter what, Samsung is always going to be partly liable for putting the 'dangerous' device out there initially. Remember the hot coffee lawsuit? McD's had to pay for a person spilling hot coffee on themselves.

In the legal field (criminal and civil, tiny amount of corporate) I pretty much see it all. Alot of it I find unfair, but some juries will award money for a dog tinkling on someone's lawn and a kid getting a rash from it. So yeah, to some extent, Samsung will be liable.

This lady gets it :) Sadly so probably will Samsung...

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I say the battery maker responsible for the faulty batteries should take the blame. Samsung used two battery manufactures to supply the batteries yet only one of them screwed the pooch. Samsung shouldn't take all the monetary loss, but that's my take.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

It is non of our concern who is the Blame for the Batteries.
We did not contract for them to build the batteries for Samsung.
Samsung contracted them to build the batteries.
In general its NON OR OUR BUSINESS.
This is between Samsung and the Contractor.

I'd hate to have another business and a outsider come and tell me how to run my Business.
Or think they have the right to come in and interfer.

Samsung has contracted the people that makes Apples batteries to build the new Batteries for them.

​Samsung to use Apple's main battery supplier for Note 7: Report | ZDNet

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Got an lg v10. Wanted to try lg since I haven't since the flip phone days. Man am I disappointed. Like horribly.I'm trying to keep telling myself that it's short term... Not helping. Think vzw Would be kind enough to take this thing back to put me in a s7e, at least til the note is available. I'm contemplating firing up my Motorola Q here

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: More than 70 phones are already explode in United states

Isn't that worse for Samsung if more phones outside the note line are exploding?

Don't know all of the details, the Samsung Galaxy Core has a removable battery, maybe they had a cheap 3rd party battery in the phone.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

Got an lg v10. Wanted to try lg since I haven't since the flip phone days. Man am I disappointed. Like horribly.I'm trying to keep telling myself that it's short term... Not helping. Think vzw Would be kind enough to take this thing back to put me in a s7e, at least til the note is available. I'm contemplating firing up my Motorola Q here
I think ur stuck....i belive they are doing a double switch not triple switch... If u go to the edge u might be stuck there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC