Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Wall street journal 4 hours ago.

Samsung plans to begin its exchange program in Singapore on Friday. Consumers will be allowed to return their phones through retailers, carriers and shops, and receive new devices. The company intends to expand the program to Australia, Mexico, South Korea, Taiwan and the United Arab Emirates later this month.

These countries DO NOT have a CPSC so they will be allowed to go on sale again.

Here in the US until the CPSC gives their blessing this is going nowhere.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
60% software update

Samsung released information about the software update in a South Korean newspaper advertisement, according to the Associated Press. The update will start September 20th for South Korean customers. It is unknown at the time whether the US or other parts of the world will receive the update

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What is taking them so long to come out with it?
Who knows. They haven't said much. Cpcs hasn't made it official. I mean what if they all decided to keep it low then ban. The official recall exchange program starts this Friday. I mean they've already told us battery was the issue and to shut the phones down. I mean they can't give up a play by play update. I am just waiting and seeing my options.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Now now, I never said Apple started it. I said it started with Apple.

And Apple also has a history of taking shots at Microsoft. They only stopped when they had a dominant market position. They pretty much started that sort of commercial in the tech world. So I guess Apple did start it.

Yes you did. You said "Apple started it I think. They made a cult following...". And I disagreed by saying they didn't do it the customers did it. Apple simply put out products. My point is that Apple doesn't view consumers as an us vs them when it comes to potential customers. Only the consumers view it that way. Apple sees all of us as potential customers they can get money from. Which is unlike some of the android makers who spend more time than apple does discussing the competition. And that's what I'm referring to... the mobile space and it pertains to Android, iOS, Samsung, Apple and everyone else.

I'm know there are PC/MAC diehards and both are just as bad but that's not what we are talking about. And PC and MAC have been going at it for decades. That's a different story for a different thread. But my point remains as it pertains to the mobile space. If we want to say which company "starts" this stuff it's more and more other companies because they take more time taking shots at Apple and each other than Apple does against them. That's my only point. Not saying better or worst. Just pointing that out.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
a5dd2630e4e44203e82b36c44be517fd.jpg

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
So now people will just think it's fine to keep using it. They will be in little hurry to turn it in. Dangerous move IMO.

Depends on how much the risk is mitigated by doing it. It might be almost entirely. Plus it's been a while so most should have returned it by now except those who are waiting for a replacement.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
60% software update

Samsung released information about the software update in a South Korean newspaper advertisement, according to the Associated Press. The update will start September 20th for South Korean customers. It is unknown at the time whether the US or other parts of the world will receive the update

I disabled updates just in case. This N7 just has to make it until replacement is available. Zero battery or heat issues that are symptoms of the battery problem some devices have.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
That's a day-one thing on every device for me. I checked and downloaded the first Sprint update last week just because I know it's going back anyway. That update caused things to be laggy. I will not take it the next time and I hope it doesn't come pre-loaded.
I disabled updates just in case.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

Wrong... as far as the batteries are concerned.. Samsung is to blame. They contracted the production, sale and use of these batteries in their devices. Then, they didnt do q.c. testing to insure they were safe in their devices.

The product we all bought clearly has "Samsung" written on it, so they are to blame.

That being said, at this point, with all the media noise, text and email alerts, about the recall, I dont see how they should be held liable for someone continuing to use the device. Including me.

There are options available, including full refund. I choose to hold on to mine, but I'm by no means being forced to.

Ummmmm....I'm pretty sure the battery maker is to blame. You make potentially explosive batteries - one battery company gets it right and the other doesn't. I'm pretty sure anything that goes through the manufacturing process has to have some sort of quality control. You deliver said batteries to Samsung indicating they meet your requirements. Except they don't.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

Ummmmm....I'm pretty sure the battery maker is to blame. You make potentially explosive batteries - one battery company gets it right and the other doesn't. I'm pretty sure anything that goes through the manufacturing process has to have some sort of quality control. You deliver said batteries to Samsung indicating they meet your requirements. Except they don't.
Samsung SDI made the batteries. So Samsung is to blame because they were the battery company that screwed up

bdelio

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I got a notification from Sam's club that we could turn our device in for a full refund but mentioned that we had to return the gift card we got. Long story short I got the run around from Sam's Club and Verizon. Decided to call Samsung directly and the person I spoke with basically guaranteed that we would have replacements at the end of the week or early next.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
That article isn't relevant to the sixty percent charge
It kinda is... Abroad Samsung can do what they want... But now that the CSPC is involved here in the states they would have to approve such action........ The fastest way to get these recalled phones out the hands of consumers is to approve these replacements....

Status
Not open for further replies.