Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Some of you guys are ridiculous. How could you want this phone and be willing to switch to an IPhone 7? IPhones are so far behind in features, it laughable. Samsung has more than compensated us buyers, in my opinion. Apple would've probably done nothing close. There's so much entitlement in this world now it makes me sick. What more should Samsung give? They're already bleeding from this unfortunate recall and have sent many promotional sd cards and gear fits. Plus they are working with carriers so folks can have replacent phones in the meantime. Nobody should be given any more at this point, than a new Note 7. Even the $25 credit is a ton of money when your assuming it's spread over most of the Note 7 buyers. Real Note fans should be supporting Samsung and helping them recover. They've done all they can to contain this.

mabelpines

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Exchanging the phones, offering temporary replacements and the gift card is quite a lot really. I appreciate that $25 dollars doesn't sound like a lot but like Mdm23 says, it adds up. I don't particularly think they've done anything wrong in the compensation department but the fact remains that this manufacturers error, or whatever you want to call it, is a big deal.

That said, I personally would be quite happy if they offered this starter kit as compensation :p
Official Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Starter Kit :: MobileFun.com

Richraj

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Given the hundreds of millions $$$ the recall's going to cost Samsumg, I think giving out loads of expensive freebies is the last thing they're going to want to do.

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I just heard on the radio that Samsung is releasing an update next week that will cap the charging percent of current bad note 7s to 60 percent.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is a nightmare.......It's sad because the beginning of the recall was handled so well.. If the government didn't get involved that person would of had a new phone already.. Yeah yeah yeah they should of exchanged it but not all of us have the same options...

I didn't see in the article were the person said they didn't turn in their phone because of the government.

It's possible he was one of those who choose to hold onto his Note 7 thinking it was fine and he was watching his Note 7 closely. It was next to him in his car. Also holding onto it because there was no official recall from the government. Samsung has said to turn it off and turn it in. People aren't listening.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Even though I agree that they really don't need to be giving out freebies for a recall issue either but look at it this way...

New Note 7 $850 retail and in other countries can go $1000. Cost of parts of manufacturing an iPhone 6 Plus is about $236. Let's just guesstimate $250 to make a Note 7... see where I'm getting at? SD cards or a VR headset probably cost dollars to make.

Sure this recall is still gonna cost them. More in terms of reputation and future revenue for those that go to another phone whether iPhone or HTC or LG, or ZTE, etc. That $850 refunded now goes towards an iPhone 7 Plus that cost around $250 to make and possibly future revenue from that customer... Once you go Jet Black they may never go back ;)

They should at least give Note 7 owners credit for free themes and stuff like that from their Samsung store :)

Given the hundreds of millions $$$ the recall's going to cost Samsumg, I think giving out loads of expensive freebies is the last thing they're going to want to do.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Now also being reported:

NYC MTA and NJ MTA.....

All Note 7's must be turned off before entering any buses, trains, or subways. As the MTA considers it a "fire hazard"

MTA, NJ TRANSIT: Power Down Samsung Galaxy Note 7 On Trains, Buses « CBS New York

Everyday this is getting worse and worse.

I am actually starting to really believe that there is a chance, I say a chance, that Samsung might scrap the Note 7 entirely in the US. If they dont with all of these agencies now (and big agencies at that like the FAA and MTA) they must put some distinct markings or something on these new devices or there will be absolutely chaos.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This is a nightmare.......It's sad because the beginning of the recall was handled so well.. If the government didn't get involved that person would of had a new phone already.. Yeah yeah yeah they should of exchanged it but not all of us have the same options...

Maybe if people would have turned in their phones like asked they would not have gotten involved. Hmmmmm

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to LOL so hard at the people who keep their notes past 9/30 and then get told tough luck. You can't return it and you're 100% liable for any damaged caused and Samsung comes out announces the next phone a few weeks later and the N7 is illegal to resale unless you pay $400 to have the battery replaced.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I got a notification from Sam's club that we could turn our device in for a full refund but mentioned that we had to return the gift card we got. Long story short I got the run around from Sam's Club and Verizon. Decided to call Samsung directly and the person I spoke with basically guaranteed that we would have replacements at the end of the week or early next.
Be careful what you hold onto as far as Samsung info. I ordered mine through them directly and they have been all over the map with info on the replacements. Seemingly worse info than those with BB or carriers.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not handing in your Note 7? You'll soon regret it

Maybe he just read the headline. That could be misleading I guess. Bottom line is, as of right now it's not happening.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Instead of spreading so many lies about this phone ans recall, I dont see why these online folks wont just be quiet and let Samsung and the CPSC pass along the real information. I think some of the stories about the phone blowing up in the US are bogus too.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung removing Note 7 displays from stores?

Samsung has probably written off the Note 7 at this point as a loss. Whenever the govt allows them to resume selling, I believe they will keep selling until the Note 8 comes out. But I bet they will put the phone practically out of sight and out of peoples minds if possible. Who's really going to want to pay $900 for all the news it's generated??

Rumor S8 will be released earlier so even better to get people to forget the Note 7 and get rid of the 7 number all together.

The S7 Edge has been the seller for them this year so they'll push that hard into holidays and end of year.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung removing Note 7 displays from stores?

I just read this article that claims Samsung reps have removed displays in ATT and Sprint stores. If they are planning to put the Note back up for sale why would they be taking them down then? Does this mean an end to the Note 7 here in the US? Not a good sign.

No Official Recall Leaves Galaxy Note 7 Phone Users Confused, Angry - WSJ

It just means they're removing display models that could have the issue. Nothing more.. Nothing less. Those phones were affected as well. The T-Mobile store I was in didn't have them up either.

Dm1120

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to LOL so hard at the people who keep their notes past 9/30 and then get told tough luck. You can't return it and you're 100% liable for any damaged caused and Samsung comes out announces the next phone a few weeks later and the N7 is illegal to resale unless you pay $400 to have the battery replaced.

Once an official recall is announced there has to be a mechanism to allow everyone to return their phone for a very long time. The September 30th date was arbitrarily pulled out of a hat under the assumption Samsung would have replacements by then with no recall in place.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
New Note 7 discounts coming?

So I've been firmly set that I'm just hanging onto my Note 7 until replacements arrive and will exchange it at that point while I use my old Note 4.

But the more I think about it the more I feel there's little chance most will pay $864 or $36/mo for a phone with such a stigma. So I'm wondering if it's not best to just return for refund and wait to see if Samsung has a bunch of crazy deals up its sleeve to get sales moving again. I'd be jacked if I was paying 36/mo for my Note 7 if they end up blowing them out in a month or so with some stupid sale prices while I'm paying full retail.

So sadly...back it all goes today for a refund and upgrade reset.

Anyone else feel there's no way this phone will be able to be sold at the original asking price moving forward?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this, too. Even if your phone has not had any issues by this point, it could still happen. Yes, any phone of any manufacturer can have issues and problems; but when airlines tell clients not to bring phones in their luggage/carry-ons and to have them on their person in case something happens, that should mean business.

Besides, Samsung's customer service here is awesome. They're handling a terrible situation with class and so if customers have to hand over their handsets for a while for a safe one later (along with free accessories or whatever other option Samsung has for them to compensate), that's a small price to pay.

cgr1971

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Note 7 discounts coming?

I'm hoping and anticipating that there will be some good offers once they get the situation straightened out. I refuse to pay full price, I usually upgrade every year, but the cash off offers weren't available this year and I didn't care about the fit bit or micro sd card offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo