Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: New Note 7 discounts coming?

You may be right, but if that's the case they would surely extend those offers and discounts to all original owners affected by the recall.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to LOL so hard at the people who keep their notes past 9/30 and then get told tough luck. You can't return it and you're 100% liable for any damaged caused and Samsung comes out announces the next phone a few weeks later and the N7 is illegal to resale unless you pay $400 to have the battery replaced.
The device has a one year manufacture's warranty. Anyone who keeps the phone past this deadline or any other deadline that is set only has to file a manufacturer's warranty claim stating that their battery is not holding a charge or is heating up and it will get replaced.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

You may be right, but if that's the case they would surely extend those offers and discounts to all original owners affected by the recall.
I'd like to hope that's true but I'm not taking that chance personally.

The_Dude_2016

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site

Although hard to say at this point I think Samsung will kill the Note 7 very soon here, they will probably swap ours and call it a day, doubt that after the huge loss ahead of samsung they will engage in more agressive discount marketing strategy, we will sure get something, even if it is a small discount or something but I dont see Samsung keeping this phone alive. Hope I'm wrong though, i love my phone!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I'm hoping so. I won't pay full retail for the Note 7 after all this news... I don't resell my phones but the idea that this is gonna kill value on it doesn't make me feel any better. And if it does kill sales, then worry that Samsung is not gonna do much to support this phone moving on the S8 series ASAP.

But I'll buy it at a discount. Right now through tapping into my company's corporate account. Carriers still sell phones at subsidized prices for corporate accounts and I can get a Note 7 for $600. But I can get an iPhone 7 for $199 and the 7 Plus for $399 with 128gb! Note 7 at launch was so highly praised they commanded a premium! I'm hoping when sales resumes they'll reprice accordingly and closer to $400. I'm pretty sure it will be discounted as more time goes by and can get that price. But hoping sooner than later.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

If I had paid full price that would definitely make me return it considering the high probability of a discounted device coming out a little later. However I am on jump on demand so I just pay a monthly fee to hold on to this phone and probably won't be holding on to it too long anyway once the S8 comes out or another phone that strikes my fancy.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not handing in your Note 7? You'll soon regret it

i'm cool with it if it makes my phone safer. Still not turning it in and won't regret it one bit.

If they want my phone back, have another note 7 waiting for me to trade. At the very least, give me an approximate date when they will be available. If they don't tell me soon, i'll likely switch to an iphone, of which i've never owned. They may lose me and my family forever if i like it. Then it's samsung who will have regret.

The lack of communication other than what they think is cya for them is astounding. I value customer support more than just specs and a competitive product. A mistake with the battery is not a big deal imo. Ignoring customers after making that mistake is unforgivable.
exactly this.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to LOL so hard at the people who keep their notes past 9/30 and then get told tough luck. You can't return it and you're 100% liable for any damaged caused and Samsung comes out announces the next phone a few weeks later and the N7 is illegal to resale unless you pay $400 to have the battery replaced.

I'm loling @ you right now. A recall is a recall it doesn't matter how long you wait they have to take it back.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung removing Note 7 displays from stores?

It just means they're removing display models that could have the issue. Nothing more.. Nothing less. Those phones were affected as well. The T-Mobile store I was in didn't have them up either.

Sounds pretty logical to me vs. discontinuing a phone line because of a recall......

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems like everyone is into instant gratification.

Of course Samsung is going to want to look at the phone, and it is not going to be instantaneous. The first reports of this was on Friday, after most businesses were closed for the weekend. Yet posters on here were posting on Sunday about how slow Samsung is responding. Give Samsung 3 or 4 days to respond.

Allow me to make one correction. This can happen when in any use. As other posters have said

GET YOUR PHONE TURNED IN

This respectfully is almost propaganda now, considering the same recycled event that has yet to be verified. We all see how another incident panned out that was used as an inspirational crusade in forums and media- even the garage incident appears dubious. I think a lot of people are making statements without understanding how a battery works.

The cell build layer pressure that Samsung stated is simple talk that the layers in some cases were pressed too hard together, resulting in some cases of inadequate insulation/space between the layers. This is static after production and not something that is going to shift to cause to get even closer. The cell out of box is either going to work correctly or show signs it is bad. If a person has been using their device for a few weeks now with no apparent heat or battery life issues- odds are you do not have one of the bad ones. A bad one though should quickly go down hill.

Regardless, people should exchange them as soon as replacements are available, but not be vilified if they chose to do that.

BTW: Samsung's 60% charge idea makes NO sense. The main problem and fire potential is during charging, so if the anode / cathode shorts, the power will continue feeding until the battery ruptures, or the power line burns/shorts out. Point is the 60% setting will be overridden due to the short. If anything, it will give anybody that has recently started using one a false sense of security.

Of course the wild card here is does Samsung really know the problem? If CPSC takes much longer, that would suggest they are not buying Samsung's sales pitch on the issue. Samsung stated the anode / cathode layers were the problem yesterday- a reiteration of what they already said.

Last edited:

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
So where is the 9/30/16 return deadline coming from, the carriers? I haven't heard or read anything from Samsung regarding a specific date or deadline to return by

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung removing Note 7 displays from stores?

It just means they're removing display models that could have the issue. Nothing more.. Nothing less. Those phones were affected as well. The T-Mobile store I was in didn't have them up either.
My Verizon store didn't have any display stuff either. Makes sense to pull it until it goes on sale again

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I got my free gear VR from the exchange program using AT&T. Instread of whining, and complaining , I got off my butt, went to the store, did what I was supposed to do, and was treated very well.. and I will come out ahead. Certainly a better option than complaining.

Here is how it works... AT&T does not do loaner phones... personally I would eliminate that phrase all together. Ask for a loaner phone, you will get told "NO!" and then you will come back here and complain about how badly you were treated...
- Go to AT&T exchange your Note 7 for anything... it will be a full refund, and resale. Do it for a S7 or s7 edge, and you will qualify for any promotion offer that is available for new owners of those devices. Also you get your $25 bill credit, waived activation, the s7/edge are slightly cheaper so that is a savings, you also can get the refer a friend bonus for Samsung pay...even if you have used it before! Save your reciepts, and in a few weeks when the Note 7 comes out, you get to return everything, and get a new Note 7. Easy... so stop complaining about it, and looking for an excuse to hold on to a phone that has a fairly real chance of blowing up in your hand/car/house.

The Samsung pay refer a friend, you get $5 and the other guy gets $5. Don't know anyone using samsung pay... ...

use my code A6BBF1

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Not handing in your Note 7? You'll soon regret it

I'll turn my phone in as soon as the new ones are released!
I'm not setting up a phone 2 more times.
I agree, plus I'm not getting cases for another phone that I'm not keeping. I work in construction, I need a case with a holster and have them for the Note 7. I also bought new USB C cables to replace the micros for charging. It's just not that simple or convenient, besides I like the phone and the way it runs. I also turned off auto update, get me a Note 7 replacement and I'll gladly swap.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung update to cap battery charging

There is a thread regarding this subject but I cannot remember where. But right now this update is just for Korea.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

"Kill the Note 7" do you know anything about business?! The note 7 doesn't cost them anything now. All of the cost is lead cost... and they spent it. Every Note 7 that they sell helps off set development costs (and in this case recall costs too!) They may manage manufacture in order to avoid excess inventory, but they certainly won't take it off the market until the Note 8 is ready next year.

It doesn't cost them anything to continue with the note 7 line. Even if they only "sell" another 100,000 units after the exchange program finishes, they are still further ahead than if they gave up. They may cut back on marketing, etc... but that is far different than discontinuing it and ending sales.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So where is the 9/30/16 return deadline coming from, the carriers? I haven't heard or read anything from Samsung regarding a specific date or deadline to return by

Not sure about the other carriers but Verizon has set a date of September 30 to avoid restocking fee. They have not said they will not take them back after that date.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

That date is internet gossip. There is no deadline... at least as of now.

If something gets repeated enough times in these types of forums, it becomes true...even when it isn't. Remember, Samsung really wants this to go as smoothly as possible... and they don't control everything about it... (carriers, CPSC, etc) .. the are not going to set a deadline, when they don't have any reasonable idea when the replacements will be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.