Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The more stories that keep coming out, and the more agencies like the FAA and NY MTA tell people to turn off the phone before entering, the more
serious this will get in the eyes of the CPSC.

The CPSC does have a "fast track process" according to their website. I have a feeling though they will not use it with the Note 7. They will want to do their own tests and be absolutely sure Samsung has fixed the problem. Which could take a very long time.

Of course this is speculation but it does make sense.

NCTRNL2

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I would love a VR...but I'd rather hold onto my Note 7 until I get it replaced instead of switching to another phone. I mean if they offer me one I'll definitely take it.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung removing Note 7 displays from stores?

It just means they're removing display models that could have the issue. Nothing more.. Nothing less. Those phones were affected as well. The T-Mobile store I was in didn't have them up either.

No, there is a conspiracy here.... we gotta be allowed to know the TRUTH!!! We are being lied to... it will be June of 2018 before they release the new ones.. Apple is paying the government to keep Samsung off the shelf... Blah, blah, blah.

You are 100% right... sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. The stores don't want to burn down. Also Samsung has said, rightfully so in my opinion, that until most of the exchanges are done, they will not be putting the Note 7 on sale for new users. So it could take a while to get enough stock to swap out everyone who it currently waiting to exchange.

They may push marketting dollars somewhere else, but they will not hide, or abandon the Note 7. The costs of releasing a new phone are front loaded in the process, and already spent. They gain nothing by abandoning it, and stopping sales forever.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Reports here in Florida of another car Fire from a Note 7 just happened

Car catches fire: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 could be to blame

If these reports all coming out the last couple of days are all true I think we might be looking at something massive from the CPSC.

I'm smelling more BS here. Did the guy have a 55 gallon drum of gas in the passenger seat with him at the time?
These are just people looking for a payday.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is a recent article. I'm pointing this out because it talks about Sprint and ATT stores saying Samsung came to remove the Note 7 displays. If they were relaunching it why would they take the displays and signs away? Does this mean it's history in the US as far as selling new units?

No Official Recall Leaves Galaxy Note 7 Phone Users Confused, Angry - WSJ

They just might be planning a re-launch of the product. The vast majority of the public is not as tied to this story as we are.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Not handing in your Note 7? You'll soon regret it

This has been reported as being verified by a Samsung spokesperson as definitely happening. Only the exact starting date for this update hasn't been confirmed. And it's not just South Korea, it's starting first in South Korea then other parts of the world.
Starts sept 20th in Korea

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I would t doubt if they pulled banners and demo units. Or they could have just pulled the banner for the new iPhone banners? Or new demo units? I mean I would get a new banner for the note 7.1 or 7s models in. I am sure cpsc would have then rename some to distinguished the old and the new notes. My speculation doh but who really knows.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Up until this past Monday, I was planning on holding on to my N7 until I could do a direct N7 to N7 exchange. But that could take well over a month or more and I'd still be stuck paying $36 a month for a phone I can't even turn on...
So instead of paying for a phone I can't even turn on, I did the S7edge double exchange and now my VR set is on its way, $25 bill credit and another Samsung pay $10 visa...
The only difference between the people that hang on to their N7 and the people that did the double exchange, is the double exchange people will have more to show for their troubles...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I would t doubt if they pulled banners and demo units. Or they could have just pulled the banner for the new iPhone banners? Or new demo units? I mean I would get a new banner for the note 7.1 or 7s models in. I am sure cpsc would have then rename some to distinguished the old and the new notes. My speculation doh but who really knows.

The booth for the Note 7 in my T-Mobile store was still there. They just didn't have the display model out for it.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

It just means they're removing display models that could have the issue. Nothing more.. Nothing less. Those phones were affected as well. The T-Mobile store I was in didn't have them up either.
^^^ this ^^^^

It's amazing how some assume the worst case scenario.

The Note 7 will be available again.

Obviously there are concerns with the phones burning/exploding.

Why would *any* store continue to expose themselves to additional risk (and lawsuits) by keeping devices on display that are known to potentially explode and/or catch fire.. while people are holding them????

Edit: in my local stores - they've removed the devices but the in store banners and ads on the monitors are still remains and active.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not handing in your Note 7? You'll soon regret it

When the device shorts, the 60% setting is irrelevant. It will keep charging until the battery ruptures or the charge cable fries or shorts. This is a ploy to get people off the Note 7, but will just create false sense of security when charging.

I disabled updates and waiting until a replacement Note 7 is available.

Samsung seems ATM to be in a silly death spiral in part fueled by media hysteria and then Samsung pours a tanker full of gas on it. Apple must be standing back in amazement and LG is probably KICKING themselves not being ready for market sooner with the V20. LG might give Samsung a chance to get out of the spiral and LG would lose their opportunity.

Morgothor

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Returning and re-buying instead of replacement

I'm on Canada, and I'm waitin for my unit from Samsung, but for now I'm still using my Note.

No case of explosion in Canada and my phone is cool all the time.

doodleholic

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
That date is internet gossip. There is no deadline... at least as of now.

If something gets repeated enough times in these types of forums, it becomes true...even when it isn't. Remember, Samsung really wants this to go as smoothly as possible... and they don't control everything about it... (carriers, CPSC, etc) .. the are not going to set a deadline, when they don't have any reasonable idea when the replacements will be out.

It's not just gossip.September 30th was the date outlined by Best Buy/some carriers right before the CPSC stepped in. This may have gone out the window, but Best Buy at least, has made no further comment on changing the 9/30 deadline.

This is the email I received from Best Buy on the 9th. They have yet to send anything further.
bbph.JPG

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not just gossip.September 30th was the date outlined by Best Buy/some carriers right before the CPSC stepped in. This may have gone out the window, but Best Buy at least, has made no further comment on changing the 9/30 deadline.

This is the email I received from Best Buy on the 9th. They have yet to send anything further.
View attachment 239395

T-Mobile is in the same boat. They said customers have till Sept. 30th to return for a full refund.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
They just might be planning a re-launch of the product. The vast majority of the public is not as tied to this story as we are.

Either a relaunch, cancellation, or delay in replacements.

If they wait until Friday to announce something formally. By that time technically most of the carriers should have replacement note 7's on hand. Then once the CPSCA gives the go Samsung can unleash them and instantly let people get their replacements.

But I'm wondering if that's the reason why carriers are saying replacements by the end of this week since that was the scheduled time they were supposed to come in. Or if the reason some are saying October because maybe Samsung will announce or not announce the note 7 on sale for the public and replacements in October.

I don't think Samsung did any special Samsung Note 7S Marking on the box or phone (except for the bottom of the box) or any upgraded specs or gifts like people are wishing.

But the CPSCA stated that they are investigating if the replacement note 7's are good enough so it's entirely possible Samsung could relaunch it maybe with an "s" moniker and send back the replacements or just cancel it.

The biggest problem is everyone's being kept in the dark and too many rumors or dates with no confirmation. I just hope Samsung and CPSCA announce something Friday or before Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781