Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Maybe go with a Note4 instead?

I can return my "loaner" 7Edge (of course and pay a restocking fee of $45) and purchase a new unlocked Note4 from eBay for around $300.00.

Watching a couple Youtube videos on the Android 6.0.1 update and it appears people are happy with it. Could use my "gift" 256GB memory card and it has a removable battery. I don't care about the iris scanner and not having IP78 is not a show-stopper for me.

Sure its an older phone, but watching a comparison video between it and a 7Edge running 6.0.1 it wasn't too bad.

AT&T has no idea when they will arrive, and I have concerns that maybe the Note7 will never be released to the US.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is in the same boat. They said customers have till Sept. 30th to return for a full refund.

9/30 is all based on Samsung's guidance to retail partners. If Samsung does not change it, it is what it is. Samsung probably thinks the US is going to take longer due to the CPSC involved now. If so, they will stick to 9/30 try and force device returns. Any lawyer would tell you key points in the event of class actions is to prove intent and due diligence. Samsung is trying ATM to dot all "i"s and cross all "t"s. ;)

I luv the Note 7, but would be forced to return it since there could be an effort to block the IMEI's at some point after 9/30. If that date holds.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Maybe go with a Note4 instead?

I really have been enjoying the Samsung Pay so for me, the Note 5 loaner or Note 7 are ideal. I need the big screen. If I got out of Samsung and into the LG V10/20 or I phones, I'd lose that. Though those phones can do the regular but limited tap n pay locations. I also read that Samsung Pay may open up its app to non Samsung phones for use.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Not handing in your Note 7? You'll soon regret it

Can we put this 60% battery cap to rest now?

Samsung to limit battery charging on Galaxy Note 7 phones to prevent fires - Sep. 14, 2016

In the U.S., the company is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to figure out how a formal recall of the phones will work.

Asked about the software update, a Samsung spokesperson in the U.S. said that "no action will be taken without the approval of the CPSC."

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung update to cap battery charging

It really doesn't help that that titles being used in the media don't reflect that this is only being done in S Korea...

Samsung to limit battery charging on Galaxy Note 7 phones to prevent fires - Sep. 14, 2016

In the U.S., the company is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to figure out how a formal recall of the phones will work.

Asked about the software update, a Samsung spokesperson in the U.S. said that "no action will be taken without the approval of the CPSC."

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

I was lucky that I hadn't had the time to factory reset and sell off my N4 when the N7 recall happened. I was able to fall back painlessly. Then just got the MM update yesterday and it's working great.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. My point though is this is not the retail places making the call. Samsung is paying for all of this in the Austin Power's Billions. Would not surprise me if 9/30 sticks. Part of the "force em' out" strategy now, though was probably based on how quick they could get replacements. Good news is a lot retailers apparently have some replacements, but CPSC involvement means not yet or maybe not anytime soon.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm holding out a little longer to see what news comes. If I turn mine in now, I don't really have a good path back to a Note 7. I'm on a corporate account, and the only way to get my phone of choice is to buy it and move the SIM over. I bought this from Samsung.com. If I turn it in, I can't walk into Verizon for a loaner. I would have to buy something else, and it would have to be a pretty good phone because I run my job from this thing. Then my only way back to a Note 7 would be to sell the temp phone to someone and buy a Note 7 again.

I also bought a case, screen protector, (2) wireless fast chargers, the Note 7 extended battery backpack, and a bunch of other stuff that may or may not be useful to me without the Note 7.

I'm still hoping that corrected Note 7's will come in time for me to buy one and return this one. We will see...

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site

I was lucky that I hadn't had the time to factory reset and sell off my N4 when the N7 recall happened. I was able to fall back painlessly. Then just got the MM update yesterday and it's working great.

Are you on AT&T? Was reading a thread on the Note4 section that they are just receiving the MM update. Holy cow!

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

No back up and at this time not interested In the exchange fiasctco, if I felt at all my phone was faulty I would turn it off.
2d182ea081b4c5239b52093719746229.jpg

itzdaniel

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cracked screen

Same thing happened to me. I dropped it after 3 days of ownership and the front glass cracked. I sent it to Samsung for repair (this was a week before the recall). Last week, someone from Samsung called and stated they will not be sending the phone back to me and that I had the option of getting a refund or a replacement.

I chose the replacement, they are suppose to be shipping the replacement to me this week. I suggest first go to Verizon first, if they give you a hassle then call Samsung. Technically, they have to take it back since it's a safety issue.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung removing Note 7 displays from stores?

Sure but to say CPSC would turn a blind eye because it's apple is just lame. Obviously apple in those instances must have followed protocol with CPSC to take care of safety issues in manner to address and put it away.

Yes can't compare with this issue because I guess Apple has never had to deal with defective/exploding batteries over 1 million units. But I would guess they would have tried to handle it as best as Samsung would and no reason to believe they wouldn't have involved the CPSC.

Let's be real here... Samsung really messed up not following proper steps and involving CPSC and why we're stuck wondering how long to get back to selling Note 7s. I would still like to buy one.

Meh, that is an accessory. Small token for gaining accountability cred ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781