09-09-2016 01:08 PM
61 123
tools
    In genera, not specific to fp scanner my N3, N4, & N7 (battery issue aside) are all great! Zero issues other than previously mentioned.
    My Note 4 was worthless. My Note 7 works flawlessly.
    09-08-2016 10:42 AM
    My N3, N4, & N7 (battery issue aside) are all great!
    I don't recall a fingerprint scanner on my Note 3 so long ago. I think the OP's thread is about fingerprint scanners and my Note 4 you had to slide it and was worthless to me. My Note 7 performs flawlessly. YMMV

Just pulled my Note 3 out of desk drawer and there is no fingerprint scanner on it. only swipe, signature, pattern, PIN, and password. Granted my Note 3 is a VZW one. International or other Note 3 might have had one. YMMV..
    09-08-2016 11:08 AM
    I had already spoken to the fingerprint issue and was confirming that I had no issues with any of them, no matter the origin.
    I don't recall a fingerprint scanner on my Note 3 so long ago. I think the OP's thread is about fingerprint scanners and my Note 4 you had to slide it and was worthless to me. My Note 7 performs flawlessly. YMMV

Just pulled my Note 3 out of desk drawer and there is no fingerprint scanner on it. only swipe, signature, pattern, PIN, and password. Granted my Note 3 is a VZW one. International or other Note 3 might have had one. YMMV..
    09-08-2016 11:18 AM
    I set mine up multiple different ways even sideways as that's how I hold the phone and unlock it but I would say more than 50% of the time it doesn't work.

Also being my first Samsung with fingerprint it's extremely annoying to have to press the home button to "wake it up" then wait for it to scan my finger.
    The way around that is press and hold one time with your thumb. This is what I do with my Note 5, it makes it one step.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-08-2016 11:19 AM
    Not to pick on the OP, but this is an example of no-win engeneering. No matter how easy and fool proof you make something, there will always be someone who can't figure out how to use it.

The fingerprint on the Note 7 (and several other recent Samsungs) is as seamless as can be. Just a slightly longer press of the home button, and it unlocks like magic. I can do it in one move..press home to turn on the device, and it unlocks before I can let go of the button.
    Really? I've used several other phones that have a much better scanner. Maybe it works "well for a Samsung phone" or something. I know how to set it up. I'm not an *****. Use an iPhone 6S or Nexus 6p sometime and you'll see what I'm talking about. Both those learn each time you use it and the scanning keeps getting better over time
    09-08-2016 11:24 AM
    I set my main fingerprint up twice so that I could put in as many angles as possible and so even when I'm at an odd angle, it works perfectly.
    toenail_flicker and moc426 like this.
    09-08-2016 11:24 AM
    This is my first Samsung phone. I have to say that this fingerprint scanner is horrible. I get an error about as many times as I get a successful read. It takes 2-3 attempts to unlock the phone most of the time. I've even set my thumb as two different fingers. I've most recently had the iPhone 6S plus and the nexus 6P. With both those phones I rarely got an error when scanning my fingerprint. You'd think that since the Note 7 is the 6th device that has has a fingerprint scanner that they would have gotten it to work as well as the other phones on the market.
    Hope you don't have a faulty device. Friend had a s7 active on ATT and that was my first experience with a fingerprint scanner. We went to best buy Samsung kiosk and they showed us how to use it. You do have to press the home button physically first but if you leave it there it should automatically unlock.

Even after samsung helped us the fingerprint scanner had issues that sound similar to yours. He returned it and got the note 7 instead and it works perfect on mine and his att variant. This is my first phone with a fingerprint scanner and I love it. Multiple fingers works too. That with the iris scanner (mostly works all the time) when I can't use the fingerprint scanner that helps.

Nice thing about this recall is you can exchange the phone it might be just faulty. Even used N7 in pool and all sensors worked fine after.

Also if you use a Bluetooth headset or speaker you can always use trusted Bluetooth and bypass the whole fingerprint/iris unlocked methods of its too bothersome for you. That worked fine for me before I got a phone that had unlock sensors.
    09-08-2016 11:33 AM
    Works fast and flawless on mine.

Delete your fingerprints, set it up again, test. Still not working? Factory reset. Still not working? Faulty device.

It's not the end of the world.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-08-2016 11:43 AM
    The way around that is press and hold one time with your thumb. This is what I do with my Note 5, it makes it one step.
    I do that, it's just very slow I find, maybe the replacement Note 7 will be different.
    09-08-2016 12:25 PM
    I do that, it's just very slow I find, maybe the replacement Note 7 will be different.
    I haven't tested the Note 7 scanner myself, but each Samsung phone with a a scanner seems to improve over the last one. From what I've seen, just guessing would make me think there might be a problem with yours.

You could always run it in safe mode and see if it is slow.. That is assuming the fingerprint lock works on safe mode. Of it does and isn't slow there, then you likely having an app interfering.
    09-08-2016 01:34 PM
    You know sometimes I find it worthless myself. There are times were it just does not want to work.
    09-08-2016 01:36 PM
    Only time I have problems is when my fingers aren't 100% dry but that's why we have the iris scanner......
    09-08-2016 01:37 PM
    No issue with the scanner works quickly every time.
    09-08-2016 01:52 PM
    Comparing it to my note 4, it's 10,000 times better. I rarely get an error with the n7 scanner. Like post above... my phone isusually unlocked instantly
    Same here. My Note 4 I could spend two weeks trying to swipe my thumb perfectly. "Swipe Downward" "Swipe slower" "Swipe faster" "No Match".

With my Note 7 it's like magic. I absolutely love it.
    jamesrick80 likes this.
    09-08-2016 03:17 PM
    This is one of the best fingerprint scanners I have ever used and i have both iPad pros...you must be doing something wrong...make sure you position your fingers in various directions when you program it
    09-08-2016 03:20 PM
    My Note 4 was worthless. My Note 7 works flawlessly.
    This was my experience at well. My Note 4 scanner was horrible and I disabled it within a few hours, even after I tried setting it up differently 2 or 3 times. My Note 7 works just as well as my iPhone 6s+ from the first time I set it up.
    09-08-2016 03:23 PM
    My first fingerprint scanner on my Note 7 and works everytime.
    same with me... rarely have any issue.
    09-08-2016 03:38 PM
    No issues here, works every time?
    09-08-2016 03:39 PM
    Mine is perfect
    09-08-2016 03:44 PM
    Mine works great. Possible user error?
    09-08-2016 08:38 PM
    Whats the condition of your finger prints? Are they dry, callous, cracking or worn smooth? My wife is a dentist and her prints can vary greatly from week to week as the seasons change, and her work load differs. She has a 6S+. My prints can vary a lot too and it causes problems for my LG V10, from time to time. Last weekend I was fixing my mountain bike after a decade of (basically) neglect. Sure enough my prints degraded enough to cause problems with my FPS. Its all OK now though after my prints have recovered.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-08-2016 09:19 PM
    Here's a very useful top-tip that I found to be extremely helpful in drastically increasing the accuracy rate on the Samsung fingerprint sensors.

Unlike the sensor on the iPhone and Nexus devices, the sensor on the Samsung phones have an oval shape.

The trick here is to not just have the scanner learn your fingerprint in one direction. Instead, change the direction of your finger between every step of the learning process. Either move it up or down, and even change the direction of where your finger is touching on the button. Do it in a way that allows as much of your finger to be learned by the sensor as possible.

I tried that on a Galaxy A5. Previously, when setting up the sensor in a conventional method, the sensor was hit-or-miss, with about a 70% hit rate. That's not downright horrible but not good either. After retraining it using the steps above, I found that it has gotten much more accurate with a 90+% hit rate.

I did the same on my Note7 and it also had the same hit-rate, although mine is rather sensitive, as it trips easily at times when my fingers are wet.Another bonus is that after an OTA, the speed of the sensor increased drastically. Pressing the home button to wake the phone automatically unlocks it, just like the one on the iPhone 6s.

I've used Huawei fingerprint sensors too, and they are regarded as one of the best on a phone, so I know how a good sensor should perform. The Note7 isn't the very best I've used, but it's a very solid performer.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-08-2016 09:28 PM
    I dun always get it spot on, but it's just a matter of shifting my thumb slightly to get in. This is my first device with fingerprint sensor, so I'm not really sure how it compares with others.
    09-08-2016 09:34 PM
    I dun always get it spot on, but it's just a matter of shifting my thumb slightly to get in. This is my first device with fingerprint sensor, so I'm not really sure how it compares with others.
    I've used a iPad Pro, Note7, Huawei P9 and one or two other phones with these sensors.

The Note7 is better than the iPad Pro as the iPad uses an older TouchID sensor which is less accurate and more sensitive to wet fingers compared to the one on the 6s. The Note7 is faster, more accurate and less sensitive to wet fingers compared to the iPad, but is a tad slower and more sensitive to wet fingers compared to the one on the iPhone 6s and Huawei P9, though a recent OTA brought it up to speed, nearly matching that of the 6s.

The P9 is probably my favorite. Very accurate, placed in my preferred position and is also always-on, meaning that it is extremely fast in unlocking the device.
    09-08-2016 09:39 PM
    Sammy's fingerprint sensors and my big thumbs do not mix well... on either the S7 (or the Note 7 for the short time I had it on) were pretty spotty at best... the failure rate was extremely high... to the point where I would have been better off just using a pattern. The 6P's is damn near 100%, but that's dealing with my the much smaller target of my index finger.

But that's my issue... I know plenty of people who have no issues with it.... YMMV
    CincyGuy likes this.
    09-08-2016 09:39 PM
61 123