Note 7 - Battery Issue (Discussion Here)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We are going to make this one thread to house people talking about the battery issue. We already have threads for each carrier / store to talk about the recall & what to do but this is for people wanting to discuss the "exploding" notes all around the world. We simply don't need a new thread every time a new article pops up as it really clutters up the forum.

As per Preach's post below Samsung explains a little bit on why the Note 7 has these issues (here - Galaxy Note 7 recall: Why does the battery explode | BGR).

Please also remember to post in the spirit of P.U.P.P.A.H and let's all get along. More on that here - Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums.

Thanks.

Last edited:

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung finally explained why Galaxy Note 7 batteries are exploding!

Just seeing that this article is from BGR means I won't even bother to read it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 7 - Battery Issue Discussion Here

I don't know, but that picture posted really shows off the absolute beauty of the Note 7.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Worthless article All batteries fail catastrophically when the anode and cathode come in contact with each other, try throwing a wrench across your car battery terminals. We knew that. What Samsung needs to tell us is what we can do mitigate it from happening if your battery has the flaw (obviously, it can't be fully prevented). Since the event can happen regardless of whether you are charging the phone and will likely happen without warning, all of these statements to avoid quick charge, monitoring phone temp, and putting the phone in a LiPo fireproof bag during charging are giving people a false sense of safety. Samsung can't have it both ways, either its safe to use the phone now (then why the recall) or it needs to be shut off now.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
New thread but want to pose the same discussion...

Just curious if anyone out there has continued to cautiously use their Note 7 as we await the replacements...

I went out of town over the weekend and wife suggested I go back to my Note 5. As good as that phone was, I missed my Note 7. So fired (no pun intended) mine back up 2 days ago and it is back to my daily driver.

Mine has always run cool and charging has only resulted a little warmth but never HOT. I generally use wireless charging rather than use the cord.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Since the event can happen regardless of whether you are charging the phone and will likely happen without warning,
There are no confirmed cases of any battery burns that didn't occur during charging. There are only unverified rumors of non-charging "explosions". All of the currently "confirmed" cases have been charging related, and even some of those are pending investigation of potential fraud.

All batteries fail catastrophically when the anode and cathode come in contact with each other, try throwing a wrench across your car battery terminals.
Breaking News: Android Central forum users are hunting down and seeking to sue a person going by the alias "vferrari" after recklessly and foolishly experimenting with metal wrenches and car battery termials after he/she advises them to "try" it. ;) (For those who read his/her post, or the quoted area above - don't try anything stupid on your car, phone, or any other device).

Just curious if anyone out there has continued to cautiously use their Note 7 as we await the replacements...
The board is full of people still using their Note7 phones.

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

I went out of town over the weekend and wife suggested I go back to my Note 5. As good as that phone was, I missed my Note 7. So fired (no pun intended) mine back up 2 days ago and it is back to my daily driver.

Mine has always run cool and charging has only resulted a little warmth but never HOT. I generally use wireless charging rather than use the cord.

I was using my N7 cautiously till yesterday. After seeing the story about the car and house catching fire, I took mine back immediately. Mine was running perfectly like yours but it wasn't worth the risk for me. Luckily I still had my N4 to fall back to.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I haven't stopped using mine and won't until the replacement comes in. I am traveling in 2 weeks so hoping the replacements are in by then. I don't have any problem traveling with this phone but if the FAA or airlines decide to act, I may not have a choice.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Not saying both of these are not legit, but both in hot places? One in a parked and abandoned jeep and the other in a hot garage?? Not that they still should catch fire but if you know these bad phones are prone to overheating then why charge them in a hot place..

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Not saying both of these are not legit, but both in hot places? One in a parked and abandoned jeep and the other in a hot garage?? Not that they still should catch fire but if you know these bad phones are prone to overheating then why charge them in a hot place..
I came up with a protocol while charging my note 7...never charge it while sleeping...always be in the room where it is charging especially if its close to 90 percent charge...if you feel it getting to warm or hot turn it off....and leave location off Unless you really need it...use the actual charger that came with your phone

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think some of the asserted battery issues are BS and by the same N7 standard, people should be weary of cheaper devices with batteries, since less QC than Samsung and can have the same issues. You have a lot of energy in a tiny space and it is what it is.

Would not surprise me in the least that once the dust settles Samsung regrets the mass recall campaign (how can they not have lot battery control?). No, not suggesting to not exchange the device, but there are far more things people regularly buy or use with less stringent production processes that can cause fires or cause hurt in another manner. I blame a highly litigious and spoiled culture that is fostered/perpetuated by the media. We are becoming Lemmings to them. ..... I miss that game.

Apple salutes! ;) :)

Added: If the issue really is randomly that broad and dangerous, Samsung would have been more assertive in their recall campaign and not allowed retailer discretion.

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using mine. Taking all the usual precautions. I don't have a choice, Sprint demanded I send my Note 5 back or pay $450 on my next bill so here I am using my gorgeous Note 7. Ironically, I sent it back the day before the splody Note 7 issues came to light.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

There are no confirmed cases of any battery burns that didn't occur during charging. There are only unverified rumors of non-charging "explosions". All of the currently "confirmed" cases have been charging related, and even some of those are pending investigation of potential fraud.

Breaking News: Android Central forum users are hunting down and seeking to sue a person going by the alias "vferrari" after recklessly and foolishly experimenting with metal wrenches and car battery termials after he/she advises them to "try" it. ;) (For those who read his/her post, or the quoted area above - don't try anything stupid on your car, phone, or any other device).

The board is full of people still using their Note7 phones.
Would love to have links to this info as I have read articles of at least two occurences of fires occuring while the phone was not charging and Samsung has made no mention of the issue only happening while charging in their official statements that I have read. Thanks. It would be VERY helpful if Samsung would come out with a definitive statement in this regard otherwise people think they are really mitigating risk by "charging with caution" whatever that means.

Regarding the the wrench across the car battery terminal, what part of "catastrophic failure" is not clear? Should I get sued for telling people if you want to experience serious bodily harm, TRY walking across the freeway at night. Sheesh.

daisyd1224

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site

Exactly my point. Everyone is assuming they know the details of all these cases. I very badly wanted to believe my phone would be okay but there is just no concrete evidence of anything. I just can't risk it. And unless you work at Samsung or have been in touch with them on a very high level, I don't believe anybody knows the details of every case. Then when a new case comes out, everyone assumes it's a hoax. I'm the queen of denial but not to the point of putting myself in danger. Odds are my phone was good. I'll get another when the dust clears and all is fixed but there is obviously a problem with some. I'm not confident enough to risk it. And no mine hasn't heated up, charging it twice a day on fast charge in 100 degree warehouse (work). But without communication from the ones who really know what happened it seemed a better move to be safe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois