Note 7 - Battery Issue (Discussion Here)

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note7 new batch coming in new/different boxes?

Has there been any info regaring the boxing of the new batch? Will there be any way to check if the phone is "v2" just by the box/phone, without installing any aplications?

The ones sent to Australia are being designated with an S sticker on the box, and an imei database is supposed to be coming online. I don't know if that will be the same for all regions though

DanRomania

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note7 new batch coming in new/different boxes?

The ones sent to Australia are being designated with an S sticker on the box, and an imei database is supposed to be coming online. I don't know if that will be the same for all regions though
Well that would be great, but where's the S from?

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Potential SERIOUS situation with Battery built-in (Unremoveable)

On another forum* thread regarding a locked up phone (making loud noises, etc) brings to mind another SERIOUS problem I have just remembered, a situation I have experienced already...

How many of us have had "problems" with our Phones in the past where they have Locked Up and wouldn't shut down even with the Power Button (holding down for multiple seconds even) where the ONLY option was to remove the Battery?? I have certainly experienced this scenario a few times over the years with my Note 4 and 2 and S2.

So. Say this happens to us, even with electrical appliances, machinery can always "crash"/hard freeze/blue screen of death, etc. Computers are notorious for this.

So now what, with an unremoveable Battery, that seems most likely one of the most stupidest/unsafest (potentially dangerous/hazardous) designs that have literally been forced upon us.

(And conspiracy theorists have always said "they" can always listen in to your phone/track you, etc, even when it's turned off, the only way to make sure you are FREE from this is to remove the Battery.

Hmmm. Think people. Think!

* The other forum I posted this in was xda and it got closed down. This here is a copy & paste, but as a loyal Samsung customer/user of 6 years (Galaxy S2, Note 2, Note 4, and expecting a Note 7), please don't shut this down. I don't know why it was shut down there?

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using mine and will continue to do so. It runs fine. As I'm sure 98% of them do. Is there an issue with the battery? Of course. But is it more hype than reality? Absolutely. I charge mine overnight. Use Android Auto. Fast charge when necessary. Zero heat issues. I certainly can't blame someone if they're not comfortable using it, but for me, I'll roll the dice.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As a samsung fan I know what you're going through. But be patient. The note 7 is a fantastic device that you'll love once exchanged. Think of it this way. Remember that Takata air bag fiasco? Here it is years later, and were still waiting for replacements. At least Sammy is doing things quickly. By the way, if you still feel uncomfortable with a new note 7,get the S7 edge. Its what I have. Its awesome.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
New thread but want to pose the same discussion...

Just curious if anyone out there has continued to cautiously use their Note 7 as we await the replacements...

I went out of town over the weekend and wife suggested I go back to my Note 5. As good as that phone was, I missed my Note 7. So fired (no pun intended) mine back up 2 days ago and it is back to my daily driver.

Mine has always run cool and charging has only resulted a little warmth but never HOT. I generally use wireless charging rather than use the cord.

Cautiously? Like your phone, mine runs flawlessly and doesn't even warm up when charging. I use this damn thing like all my previous phones. Like a phone.

afolgueira

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using mine and I'm typing this from it right now while it is charging. The Note 7 does get hot but just as my note 4 and note 5 and my iPad 3 tablet and my laptop and my G7 Camera well you get the drill. I have used the hell out of this phone for the 3 weeks and 2 days I have own it and not issues whatsoever. You can check my reviews and other note7 videoa on www.youtube.com/aliexfolgueira this morning I seriously though about returning it and trying an iPhone 7plus, you can check that video in my channel as well, I called att to transfer the line to my note 4 but it was a hassle, I would also have to return my gear s 2 classic watch and nobody knows when the good Note 7s will be shipped. I tried ordering an Icrap 7 plus but delivery is Oct 10-14 by then the new note 7 will be out I hope.
What do you guys think 8 should do? I think I'm going to keep using it until the replacement gets here.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I had an interesting one this morning - I have been sliding along, topping off my battery when I reach like 80 - 85% so it doesn't get too warm. Last night after hearing the official CPSC story on the News, I topped it off and shut it off for the first time since I've owned it (8/19). Every night, I drop maybe 4 or 5% overnight - when I turned it back on this morning it was at... 17%??? For real??? I have NO IDEA... the only thing I can think of is that it really wasn't calibrating correctly when I was topping it off every 7 or 8 hours and it was progressively getting lower even though it wasn't showing it. I just charged it to 50%, did a full SmartSwitch Backup and I'm going back to AT&T this afternoon to switch back to my Note 5 until the new ones arrive whenever! I was ready to wait until I saw that Samsung had to wait for our Federal Government's Approval on the fix! :) Not now!

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
The Note 7 Is The Best Phone... But Is It Too Tainted Now To Feel Good About It?

If you want to show off the cool Iris Scanner, S-Pen, or the beautiful display someone will just say "Ya but it explodes". As far as the exchange goes, we don't even know 100% if it is even going to happen! The CPSC has said it will review the idea of an exchange to see if it is the best course of action, which entails that people who are awaiting a replacement (myself included) may be met with a road block. Also, what about the airline bans? Lets say we actually get a safe replacement, will the airlines lift the bans without any easy way to tell whether we have the safe ones or not? Maybe it will just be easier for them to ban all Note 7s to avoid risk and for ease of operation. After all, it is easier than checking the serial number through a website to make sure it's an updated model, and maybe they don't trust Samsung's new phones are actually safe (I mean Samsung thought the unsafe ones were safe or else they wouldn't have released them, how can we trust them now?).

All this is to say, I love the Note 7. It isn't as snappy or as smooth as my iPhone was but damn it sure makes up for it in other ways and it is the best phone I have ever owned. It just is a shame now because I cannot feel good about how awesome this phone is because it seems tainted. I paid top dollar for a brag worthy phone, not one people make fun of. My co-workers even joked that my phone is so awesome that it has true-to-life fire emoji creator (which is pretty funny I must add). Even with safe replacements the phone will always be known as the one that bursts into flames.

My question to you all is, even though the Note 7 is an awesome phone, is it too tainted now to feel good about it?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: The Note 7 Is The Best Phone... But Is It Too Tainted Now To Feel Good About It?

I love it as much as I did on the day I received it. How I choose and feel about my devices has little, if anything at all, to do with public perception, good or bad.

Milo1211

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site

Just curious if anyone out there has continued to cautiously use their Note 7 as we await the replacements...

I went out of town over the weekend and wife suggested I go back to my Note 5. As good as that phone was, I missed my Note 7. So fired (no pun intended) mine back up 2 days ago and it is back to my daily driver.

Mine has always run cool and charging has only resulted a little warmth but never HOT. I generally use wireless charging rather than use the cord.

Milo1211

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site

I still have mine I have had no problems,doesn't even get warm after charging. I attend to hold on to for as long as possible,until New note 7's are available. Curious as to how many more have caught fire since the beginning of recall. Last count world wide was not very much

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So then when you have a device in hand... there's no way to visually physically differentiate a good phone from a bad one?

A good phone looks cosmetically identical to a bad phone?
Technically yes. The issue is with the internal battery and nothing else.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: The Note 7 Is The Best Phone... But Is It Too Tainted Now To Feel Good About It?

If you want to show off the cool Iris Scanner, S-Pen, or the beautiful display someone will just say "Ya but it explodes". As far as the exchange goes, we don't even know 100% if it is even going to happen! The CPSC has said it will review the idea of an exchange to see if it is the best course of action, which entails that people who are awaiting a replacement (myself included) may be met with a road block. Also, what about the airline bans? Lets say we actually get a safe replacement, will the airlines lift the bans without any easy way to tell whether we have the safe ones or not? Maybe it will just be easier for them to ban all Note 7s to avoid risk and for ease of operation. After all, it is easier than checking the serial number through a website to make sure it's an updated model, and maybe they don't trust Samsung's new phones are actually safe (I mean Samsung thought the unsafe ones were safe or else they wouldn't have released them, how can we trust them now?).

All this is to say, I love the Note 7. It isn't as snappy or as smooth as my iPhone was but damn it sure makes up for it in other ways and it is the best phone I have ever owned. It just is a shame now because I cannot feel good about how awesome this phone is because it seems tainted. I paid top dollar for a brag worthy phone, not one people make fun of. My co-workers even joked that my phone is so awesome that it has true-to-life fire emoji creator (which is pretty funny I must add). Even with safe replacements the phone will always be known as the one that bursts into flames.

My question to you all is, even though the Note 7 is an awesome phone, is it too tainted now to feel good about it?

No it is not, unless one is so codependent they need external opinions from friends, families, even strangers to feel good about their own choices and values.

Come on people, it is a phone, and it is, for my needs and uses, the best available. Display, form factor, camera, S pen, water resistance, processor.....etc. etc.

This is the most feature rich and best available driver, IMO, in existence.

Chill out, make available choices about loaners, mothball, keep using, and then, if you want Note 7 version 2.0 you will be as happy as you were one week ago with this marvelous unit in your hands.

Just gonna take some patience.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I use the crap out off mine. I have to charge it at least 3 times a day now. It's sad that people think it's going to go boom. The bank lady just asked me.. Is that that new exploding Note 7? I said yep. Asks aren't I afraid it will blow up? Nope. More afraid of the a hole that's gonna pull out in front of my Harley. They all laughed. Then the lady at the back window goes um I have one too remember. You should have seen the look on the tellers face then. 😂