TWO INCH drop onto the edge of my PLASTIC center counsel the screen cracked

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had smartphones from the very first apple and I have always run them naked and I have never broken a screen. Today I took my phone out of my pocket in the car and from a TWO INCH drop onto the edge of my PLASTIC center counsel the screen cracked. Stronger glass my ***. I understand the glass might be stronger per square inch from the glass factory, but its definitely either thinner or the curving process deteriorates it's strength. I had the note 4 for 2 years and dropped that sucker from a few feet high onto concrete twice and it's still in great condition. My wife has dropped her note 4 countless times as well and nothing but scratches. This one couldn't survive a 2 inch drop onto plastic. I know it's most likely because it hit exactly on the curve of the glass, but thats a moot point.

phone.jpg

I know I lucked out because of the recall and that I can get it replaced. But honestly I will probably just get a refund and my wife will as well. I know everyone wants to feel like their money was well spent so they make all sorts of excuses, but I am really disappointed with this phone thus far. Money is not an issue for me on this phone, but I was hoping it would be a solid upgrade. It's literally not any faster than my note 4 in normal use (and actually laggy for my wife), camera is the same but different (smaller pictures bc of worse resolution but better app and low light performance) , no better battery life (but you can't even take out the battery anymore!), etc...

I just wish ATT/Samsung would update old phones with the newest software like iphone does. Thats really the main benefit of this phone for me over the note 4.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I wish I was smart enough to post pictures- I dropped mine, on the road (2 days new) it bounced on the corner where the pen goes and then rested face down. I have some scuffs where the pen is, and 2 almost invisible nicks on the upper and lower bezel. I didn't think it was because it was made well- I dropped an iphone once off a chair and the whole screen shattered- I really think it all has to do with the angle.

other than that, I haven't had any problem with the lag, nighttime photos are amazeballs. It truly sucks you got a certain unit with some unfortunate tweaks but I'm not sure it's true for every Note 7.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Dropped mine from a foot and no cracks. Looks like the curve though is easy to crack if hit. The case I have should mitigate that.

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site
*Console?
Fair.

Dropped mine from a foot and no cracks. Looks like the curve though is easy to crack if hit. The case I have should mitigate that.

2 inches?

Look, I'm trying to not be ignorant about this. Anytime I see someone's thread about a dropped phone cracking, I just blow it off knowing that it's a risk when you drop a glass phone from a few feet.

I wouldn't have been happy about the crack if I dropped it from waist height, but I would have accepted that it's just what happens with glass phones. I don't even have any financial stake in this considering I'll be getting it replaced for free with the recall. My primary disappointment stems from the fact that it only takes 2 inches onto PLASTIC to break the phone.

I fully comprehend that it's most likely because of landing on the curve. But that doesn't matter. It should be able to take a 2 inch drop onto plastic no matter where it lands.

Who knows. Maybe my glass was weaker than average. Just a bit frustrated with how easy it broke and also how little of an upgrade this phone has turned out to be.

Thanks for listening to my rant haha Nothing constructive can come out of this thread I suppose.

EDIT: Oh and as far as lag goes, mine has no lag while my wifes has obvious lag. It has from the beginning. I'm assuming a factory reset would fix it right up, but maybe not. It's just frustrating that these kinks aren't worked out.

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Do I hear iPhone 7 calling?

Gotta love these edge displays.

I had all iPhone's until the Galaxy S4.

Unfortunately unless there is a great reason to go to the iPhone, I would most definitely want to avoid switching platforms again. Big hassle and takes a little time to get used to it. There was a time I use to jaibreak/root my phones and super customize them, now they are all mostly great stock and I just want to get up and go.

budven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have dropped mine several times. I dropped it the first day with no case on it taking it out of my pocket and it was fine. I dropped it a second time and when it hit the floor the s-pen flew out of it. Again no damage to the phone. Happy with my phone and I will get a replacement and keep rocking the Note7.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, with the curve edge, it means there is chance for the glass to directly hit a flat ground for Note 7, unlike flat screen phone where it will only hit the bezel and not directly on the glass.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I had all iPhone's until the Galaxy S4.

Unfortunately unless there is a great reason to go to the iPhone, I would most definitely want to avoid switching platforms again. Big hassle and takes a little time to get used to it. There was a time I use to jaibreak/root my phones and super customize them, now they are all mostly great stock and I just want to get up and go.

At least your just in time to swap it for a new one if they ever become available. :p

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site
At least your just in time to swap it for a new one if they ever become available. :p

Yea I really did luck out. Really thankful for that.

I know people complain about price but I would easily pay $1200 if it had a better camera (same specs but 16mp), bigger battery and tougher glass. This would leave me happy as those are really my only concerns in a phone (that haven't been met generations ago atleast). I can't be the only one out there that values these things way more than the enormous upgrades of 1/millionth of a cm thinner, mostly useless change of charging port and mostly useless retina scanners.

Note 8 can't come soon enough :D

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You never know... if Samsung does their research and sees enough screens crack, it may help them with the direction of design in newer models... or at least work on strengthening the weak areas. Maybe future models they need to have corning spec their glass where the edges are .1 mm thicker before forming to give more strength to those sides/edges.

I mean get enough cracked screens, then people wont want to buy the next curve screen knowing how brittle it is. Imagine there was no recall and you have a small crack on your phone less than a week owning it and you have to live with an ugly cracked phone with no water resistance anymore for the next two years because these things aren't cheap and you can't afford to buy one every year.

I'm thinking maybe if they can make an adjustment in the way they form the glass causing a more harder glass at edges/corner. eh, wishful thinking.

Crack at 2 inch drop is crazy. Sorry to hear.

I would say quite LOW, just like this year. :p

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I would have taken the flat screen Note 7 over this edge version any day.
I really have no use for Samsung's Edge screens. I hated them on the S7 edge and feel the same about the Note 7 edge. Useless feature that nobody needs. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I just dropped mine purposely 2 inches on to plastic 10 times in a row and it barely made a noise let alone Crack.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I really have no use for Samsung's Edge screens. I hated them on the S7 edge and feel the same about the Note 7 edge. Useless feature that nobody needs. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

Even with the greater risks of cracking, I love the edges.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

The edge feature is enjoyed by many - its not something tjat nobody needs - some love it - including me.

I didn't think I would like it but honestly, I now love it because it allows me to enjoy a variety of wallpapers not cluttered by icon after icon.

I think most would agree, they may not like or use the edge panels much, but I've surprisingly enjoyed them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech