How I accidentally killed my Note7 while preparing for the recall.....

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This is a bit of a sad story.

I decided to do a full-on factory reset just now in order to prepare for the recall so that I don't have to do it at the last minute.

I backed up everything that I needed and did the factory reset.

Everything seemed to go well until the phone rebooted. It kept freezing in the boot animation screen and then rebooted. Over and over and over and over again. Eventually, it managed to get into the "Android is starting" screen, only to freeze and go back into a reboot loop.
It did it for 5 minutes until it randomly decided to kill itself. While it was doing so, I kept pressing the power button to no avail. It had a mind of its own and kept rebooting until it died.

Power button gave no response. Waiting for it to cool and then pushing it again also yielded nothing. Risking the devil and trying to charge it also gave nothing. It's as dead as a dodo at that point.

I was in quite a panic at that point. I wasn't sure if I should return the phone in working condition as this particular one is now dead and I didn't do anything that would cause it to do that (it has not been rooted, nor did it have a custom recovery or anything). All I did was do a factory reset and it just did that.

Called up Samsung support only for them to give me a bit of a relief. I don't have to return the phone in full-working condition and that I am able to request a loaner if I don't have a spare. I didn't really care much about the latter as I have a spare phone, but the former was especially relieving, as my phone just died while doing something that's standard procedure for any phone return.

I just hope that my replacement won't give me quite a scare....

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I'm thinking there may be more issues than just a battery. The battery is obviously the worst of the problem but I've noticed my screen becomes unresponsive at times. I go to "click" a tab or watch a video - nada.....

daisyd1224

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I wish I could find the article I read but there was one that quoted Samsung as sayin battery cell issue, something about the positive and negative not doing what it was supposed too and maybe a chip reaction? I'm not that technical so I don't know what all it meant except the battery part. But once again, without much else to go on except what we hear thru the Internet (so it must be true lol) I just chose to do the safest thing for me.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
This is a bit of a sad story.

I decided to do a full-on factory reset just now in order to prepare for the recall so that I don't have to do it at the last minute.

I backed up everything that I needed and did the factory reset.

Everything seemed to go well until the phone rebooted. It kept freezing in the boot animation screen and then rebooted. Over and over and over and over again. Eventually, it managed to get into the "Android is starting" screen, only to freeze and go back into a reboot loop.
It did it for 5 minutes until it randomly decided to kill itself. While it was doing so, I kept pressing the power button to no avail. It had a mind of its own and kept rebooting until it died.

Power button gave no response. Waiting for it to cool and then pushing it again also yielded nothing. Risking the devil and trying to charge it also gave nothing. It's as dead as a dodo at that point.

I was in quite a panic at that point. I wasn't sure if I should return the phone in working condition as this particular one is now dead and I didn't do anything that would cause it to do that (it has not been rooted, nor did it have a custom recovery or anything). All I did was do a factory reset and it just did that.

Called up Samsung support only for them to give me a bit of a relief. I don't have to return the phone in full-working condition and that I am able to request a loaner if I don't have a spare. I didn't really care much about the latter as I have a spare phone, but the former was especially relieving, as my phone just died while doing something that's standard procedure for any phone return.

I just hope that my replacement won't give me quite a scare....

Yikes. I'm sorry this happened to you. I would cry. I know we getting a replacement but I would still cry lol.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I'm thinking there may be more issues than just a battery. The battery is obviously the worst of the problem but I've noticed my screen becomes unresponsive at times. I go to "click" a tab or watch a video - nada.....
The Exynos version has been showing this bootloop issue and then bricking itself, in some cases, before this battery issue appeared.

My guess is you have the bootloop issue. Hopefully this will also be noticed and addressed since this battery issue happened. Sadly, you might have to deal with this again but hopefully Samsung will have identified the problem causing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm still worried now.

As the Note is still pretty darn warm, even though it's supposedly "off".

Wow. How long has it been off?

The Exynos version has been showing this bootloop issue and then bricking itself, in some cases, before this battery issue appeared.

Um wow. How do i know what version I have?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Depends on country. US/Canada get the 820. There are probably other locations that get the 820 but In general I think everyone else gets the Exynos.

What location are you at? Which processor, the 820 or Exynos?

Around 2 hours at this point.

Yeah, I'm probably going to get rid of this one and ask for a loaner.

Glad that I didn't have to deal with a potential fire.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Depends on country. US/Canada get the 820. There are probably other locations that get the 820 but In general I think everyone else gets the Exynos.

I'm sorry I suck at this so forgive me lol but is that 820 in snapdragon?

Around 2 hours at this point.

Yeah, I'm probably going to get rid of this one and ask for a loaner.

Glad that I didn't have to deal with a potential fire.

Might be for the best. Better safe than sorry. Thank goodness you will get another one. Phone should be cooled down by 2 hours lol.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The international version, the unlocked version, is the Exynos version.

What location are you at? Which processor, the 820 or Exynos?
It is the Exynos version.

Thanks. Could you tell me where i would find that info on my phone? I'm not seeing it on phone info.
You got yours from a carrier here, correct? Wasn't it Verizon? All US carriers have Snapdragon this year.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've read good things about that processor people claiming better battery over the 820 and possibly even better performance. Hope the issue can be resolved with a firmware update.
Yeah, that's the variant that seems to be the one that performs pretty well.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar situation happen on Tuesday. I factory reset the phone to return and for some reason the phone got crazy hot. It was so hot I couldn't put it in my poket.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

You sticking with the Note 7 or jumping ship to something else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy