Mac users only, How do you U/L photos to your Mac?

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Mac will not recognize Note 7, I tried….

I had no trouble with Mac recognizing my old Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx running Android.
No special, additional software required. I just connected via USB & immediately appeared on desktop. Mac saw the SD card as a mass storage device.

After failure with Note 7, I searched & learned I needed to D/L Android File Transfer app from
https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

I did. Not working! I tried restarting phone.
Still get pop up: “Could Not connect to device. Try reconnecting or restarting your device.”
I try using USB port on back (not hub) Same error message!
Try Restart Mac no help.
I always made sure to change Phone USB “charging” (default) to “File Transfer”
Same error message! Also got pop up phone message:
“Connected device unable to access data on this phone. Reconnect USB & try again. AFT must be installed on Mac.”

Tried: settings/more/ Phone visibility ON… no help

Ck storage & Have both Internal & Portable so, my SD card is mounted!
Try settings/Developer options...turned ON, then turn ON USB debugging.
Same error message!
Unplug/replug USB & reset USB from charging to file transfer, no help.

What am I doing wrong & why do I need AFT on my Mac anyway? Is this new with more recent Android versions? I much prefer the way the old one worked just plug it in & ready to move files. Is this a security precaution that is causing the problem?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Mac will not recognize Note 7, I tried….

I had no trouble with Mac recognizing my old Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx running Android.
No special, additional software required. I just connected via USB & immediately appeared on desktop. Mac saw the SD card as a mass storage device.

After failure with Note 7, I searched & learned I needed to D/L Android File Transfer app from
https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

I did. Not working! I tried restarting phone.
Still get pop up: “Could Not connect to device. Try reconnecting or restarting your device.”
I try using USB port on back (not hub) Same error message!
Try Restart Mac no help.
I always made sure to change Phone USB “charging” (default) to “File Transfer”
Same error message! Also got pop up phone message:
“Connected device unable to access data on this phone. Reconnect USB & try again. AFT must be installed on Mac.”

Tried: settings/more/ Phone visibility ON… no help

Ck storage & Have both Internal & Portable so, my SD card is mounted!
Try settings/Developer options...turned ON, then turn ON USB debugging.
Same error message!
Unplug/replug USB & reset USB from charging to file transfer, no help.

What am I doing wrong & why do I need AFT on my Mac anyway? Is this new with more recent Android versions? I much prefer the way the old one worked just plug it in & ready to move files. Is this a security precaution that is causing the problem?

I am experiencing exactly the same thing. I've tried the original samsung cable and third party cables as well (in addition to everything you mentioned). . Hopefully someone can help us. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Android File Transfer.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

I will test out when I get home but just a dumb question and forgive me for asking it. Are you trying to access files through the Android File Transfer program or through Finder? IIRC you have to use the File Transfer program, it's not like a driver or anything like that.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I am not a Mac person, so I can only guess. Isn't there a "Samsung mobile USB drivers" (or something like that) package that can be installed, like there is for windows?

Last edited:

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

For me, the android message says it won't connect and when I have to cancel it and it closes. It just won't "connect". So it's nowhere to be found as a separate drive or via Android File Transfer.

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

As a former S5 owner I ran into this issue long ago, and as you all stated, whatever Mac you use as your daily platform won't recognize it.

All my hardware at home are MacBooks, iMac, etc and I instinctively thought that going with the iPhone 6s Plus would be a super way to tie them all together since they would be the same OS talking to each other. IMHO- that was a big mistake! I just didnt like the way the iPhone worked with the iCloud, and often discovered missing photos, duplicate contacts, and a myriad of other things which made me miss my Galaxy S5 .

Therefore, it was a few years back i found this software which enabled my MBP to recognize the S5 and matter of fact I guess I never deleted it from my applications, because when i plugged my nice Silver Note 7 into my MBP it was instantly recognized - despite needing an update.
So folks, the best way to start getting the two items (Mac & Note 7) to talk w each other is easily fixed by using a Samsung App called "Kies"

Samsung Kies (Mac) - Download

This will enable you to get your Mac & Note 7 to more photos, files, and more - with a little trial and error I will add. It took me a bit to figure these out, which i am still have not mastered yet. Also, trying to get stuff into the "Secure Folder" is really an uphill challenge for me!
I do believe there are other choices to do this sort of stuff but give this one a try to see if it works for you? Hope this helped someone? :)

Gunny

Lovendetta

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site

I use Samsung Smart Switch. Once your device is connected and shows up you will see a drop down menu. After that you can use it through a sort of finder window. I uninstalled Kies and File Transfer as it stopped working for me since 10.11

Cre8tive

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

I tried Smart Switch and get the message "unsupported USB connection". Is there a way to make this work? I'm on Yosemite 10.11.6.

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site

I use my MacBook Pro and it works fine. I have the switch installed and I also have Android File Transfer installed. Try those two and see if it works... The android file transfer connects and just shows everything I need, so that is enough for me.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

When I first tried Android File Transfer I was getting the same thing. It worked fine on my old Note 3, but not the 7. Then I learned that you have to have the device unlocked with the regular screen showing or it won't work. So scan your finger (or eyes) and unlock it and then plug it into the cable and it should work.

Oh... the Note 7 may pop up a dialog asking to allow it. If so, click yes or whatever. After that, you may have to unplug the cable and plug it back in again.

Rob

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Definitely didn't work.

Gunny: I'm hesitant to install Kies as I feel like I've read some bad things about it potentially mucking things up. You haven't had any issues with anything else since installing it?

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the replies!
I have my phone unlocked when I attempt to connect.
I have AFT AND Smart Switch installed & still get same AFT error messages.

I did install SS b4 I tried to transfer any files & it appears to work fine to back up my phone. (I did this in anticipation of the recall/swap coming soon.)

So, whenever I connect a flash drive, camera or my old Android Motorola smart phone with an SD card to my iMac (v. 10.9.5) I get a desktop icon which is the device & I can open it & look through & open another Finder window & drag files from one to the other.

I need this ability to access the SD card in my new Note7!
I still don’t understand why it does not just work. It must be a Samsung thing rather than an Android thing.

I thought I can maybe do file transfer using just Smart Switch but all I see are 3 options:
Backup
Restore
Sync

Maybe I should try Synch but would like to know WTF I am doing b4 I actually try it.

I did look into Kies based on the recommendation from Gunny but, like French, I see bad reviews & trouble with this:

Samsung Kies (Mac) - Download

& here:
Kies for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

Found a Verizon link that recommends AIrDrop app:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...-connect-android-phone-to-mac/&token=7vhjNgVW

"The AirDroid Android app connects your phone to your Mac wirelessly. Once you set it up, it basically works like a website: navigate to your phone, download files, and send and receive texts—all from a web browser on your Mac. And it doesn’t require downloading software to your computer.
For the basic free service, AirDroid connects your phone to your laptop using Wi-Fi. Once you install the app, go to AirDroid.com, sign in and access all of the data on your phone—from videos to your contact list. The site is a perfect hybrid between the way you use your Mac computer and navigate your smartphone."

I'm having trouble D/L the app to my phone! it is very slow & I had to start again bc it disappeared.
When I searched for the website it seems to require D/L software to your Max as well!

AirDroid for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

https://www.airdroid.com

Anyone here know anything about this?

Update: I finally got the AirDroid to work & it was difficult & SLOW. I did not D/L the software to my Mac. I transferred ~ 20 photos from Mac to phone.
Really do not like this & consider it a work-a- round until I find a way to properly connect my phone to my Mac via USB directly & just drag & drop files.

Last edited:

Cre8tive

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

I use my MacBook Pro and it works fine. I have the switch installed and I also have Android File Transfer installed. Try those two and see if it works... The android file transfer connects and just shows everything I need, so that is enough for me.

Yeah, that's what I'm using. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with the latest Yosemite. Both Smart Switch and AFT installed, using the OEM USB-C cable. Don't know what else to try.

Update: Got a pop up with Smart Switch telling me I need to update to the latest version of the software (on the Note 7). Very convoluted means of getting there, but finally did update. Made sure the latest version is running on the MacBook Pro as well. Restarted everything...still no joy. ???

Last edited:

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, that's what I'm using. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with the latest Yosemite. Both Smart Switch and AFT installed, using the OEM USB-C cable. Don't know what else to try.

Update: Got a pop up with Smart Switch telling me I need to update to the latest version of the software (on the Note 7). Very convoluted means of getting there, but finally did update. Made sure the latest version is running on the MacBook Pro as well. Restarted everything...still no joy. ???

Have u tried uninstalling AFT? I know that AFT and Smart Switch don't like each other. If you want to use AFT to browse your files, you have to uninstall Smart Switch. AFT will not work if u have SW installed.

I remember being frustrated that I couldn't browse files on my phone and it took me a long time to figure out that I can do this w/Smart Switch, it's just not obvious. I can't remember off the top of my head the steps to use Smart Switch to browse your phone files.

This is just an image I found on google, but it will basically look like in SS when you plug in your phone.

tempFileForShare_20160909-023601.jpg

Last edited:

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

You may be onto something! Launch Smart Switch.

You 1st need to click on the “v” symbol to the R of the name of your phone & it changes to “^” & looks like the photo you posted. Then click on the folder icon next to the Internal memory usage stats. I also have External memory below that but, it does not have a folder icon next to it & that is where I keep photos. When I do click on the folder icon (Called file browser) I get a pop up window that gives me option of Phone & Card so, It does let you browse folders on your SD card as well as internal phone memory!

I’m not sure you can move these folders to & from your computer though.
I opened many of these folders they are all apparently empty!
Under phone/DCIM/Camera I did find 3 jpgs but they will not open to see what they are when I double click them! I have many more pix than that on my phone & I think they are stored in the SD card. So, I click on “Card” & click on DCIM folder/Camera folder.
Nothing.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Got a MacBook Pro.
Got smart switch on the macbook that I downloaded

There is a smart switch on my note 7 under Accounts

Got everything backed up on my Macbook pro.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

Got a MacBook Pro.
Got smart switch on the macbook that I downloaded

There is a smart switch on my note 7 under Accounts

Got everything backed up on my Macbook pro.
Yes, SS works for me to to BACK UP phone.

That is not my question.

I need to hook phone up to move files back & forth between phone & Mac; JPGS, PDFs, etc.
As if the SD card was a flash drive. I did this with my old Android phone, no problem.
I'm on hold with Samsung now. I already found out (from Samsung) SS will NOT do this .
It can back up & restore everything & also move iTunes. It cannot move jpgs, pdfs, etc.

Now they're telling me there is a USB driver for Mac that is on the Samsung website!
Next they change that to "it is a driver" & they will ck to see if compatible with Mac.
Holding.....
LOL
She wanted remote access to my Mac?! Hell no! She wanted to D/L the driver to see if it worked. I had her walk me to the D/L page &
I D/L it but...it was an “.exe” file which we know does not work for Macs.
Now I’m holding for the Samsung Dept. “that works with Macs.”

Sigh...why didn’t they START with that Dept!
A huge waste of time! Total 1 hour 21 min & no help at all.
BTW, that Dept. that 'works with Macs' was just the @#!!**! Smart Switch Dept. again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance