Mac users only, How do you U/L photos to your Mac?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Mac will not recognize Note 7, I tried….

Yes, SS works for me to to BACK UP phone.

That is not my question.

I need to hook phone up to move files back & forth between phone & Mac; JPGS, PDFs, etc.
As if the SD card was a flash drive. I did this with my old Android phone, no problem.
I'm on hold with Samsung now. I already found out (from Samsung) SS will NOT do this .
It can back up & restore everything & also move iTunes. It cannot move jpgs, pdfs, etc.

Now they're telling me there is a USB driver for Mac that is on the Samsung website!
Next they change that to "it is a driver" & they will ck to see if compatible with Mac.
Holding.....
LOL
She wanted remote access to my Mac?! Hell no! She wanted to D/L the driver to see if it worked. I had her walk me to the D/L page &
I D/L it but...it was an “.exe” file which we know does not work for Macs.
Now I’m holding for the Samsung Dept. “that works with Macs.”

Sigh...why didn’t they START with that Dept!
A huge waste of time! Total 1 hour 21 min & no help at all.
BTW, that Dept. that 'works with Macs' was just the @#!!**! Smart Switch Dept. again.
Geez... Well you certainly "took one for the team" trying to resolve with that call. Thank you. I had this issue with my Galaxy S7 initially...and I have no idea why but it suddenly started working one day.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, Good to know at least some Mac users can hook up their phones.

I was wondering. So, when you connect your N7, a volume appears on your desktop & you can use the phone SD card as a mass storage device & drag files to & from just like with a flash drive?

That is how it worked with my last Android phone , Motorola RAZER Maxx.

AFT doesn't wk for me. Will not recognize my phone.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Use Samsung SMART software for connecting your phone to pc/mac
If you mean Smart Switch, Already have it installed on my iMac & it is preinstalled in my Note7 but, while it is excellent for backing up the phone & restoring, it is NOT able to move files to & from phone & Mac. Samsung confirmed this today. Cannot move photos from phone to computer to view, edit, etc. Cannot move a PDF document from computer to phone.
Dropbox. Or any other cloud service.
Yes, I signed up for AirDroid to move some wallpaper I had D/L to my computer onto my phone until I can figure out a way to direct connect the 2 via USB.

Anubis1

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
File drop is a free app in the app store and google play store. Works well for photo's and files, you can transfer them mac to phone or phone to mac

mitul_mehta

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
If you mean Smart Switch, Already have it installed on my iMac & it is preinstalled in my Note7 but, while it is excellent for backing up the phone & restoring, it is NOT able to move files to & from phone & Mac. Samsung confirmed this today. Cannot move photos from phone to computer to view, edit, etc. Cannot move a PDF document from computer to phone.

Yes, I signed up for AirDroid to move some wallpaper I had D/L to my computer onto my phone until I can figure out a way to direct connect the 2 via USB.
We can move stuff on Mac via smart switch.. I am using it.. it can help you move stuff to and fro from your sd card also.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I use the Android File Transfer app on my Mac. Works great.

I've been having major issues with android file transfer. It keeps disconnecting my device even though I've allowed it to access my device and the screen has not shut off. It does this every single time. How do you get it to work properly?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been having major issues with android file transfer. It keeps disconnecting my device even though I've allowed it to access my device and the screen has not shut off. It does this every single time. How do you get it to work properly?
Do you also have Smart Switch installed on your computer? It breaks both Android File Transfer and AirDroid.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't upload to my computer. I use Google photos. Then I can download to my computer later. But I understand people who don't want the drop in quality for the free storage. I'm not a photo/camera geek so doesn't bother me.

You can use airdroid for wireless transfer. Drag and drop anything between your phone and computer. I try to use wireless for everything now.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Google photos, always, the end. And there shouldn't be any drop in photo quality since the camera is 12mp. Google photos, for the free space, only drops the quality if the photo is 16+mp. Videos, sure...the 4k will certainly get dropped. But you have those backed up on your computer, right?

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
We can move stuff on Mac via smart switch.. I am using it.. it can help you move stuff to and fro from your sd card also.
Please tell me exactly HOW! Since SS does work for me I had hoped there was some way to use this to move photos, PDFs, etc, back & forth between Phone SD card & Mac but, I could not find a way. So, when I called Samsung I spoke to the "Smart Switch Dept." & they told me No! It can back up & restore everything & also move iTunes. It cannot move jpgs, pdfs, etc. from phone to Mac or Mac to phone.

See my post:"Mac will not recognize Note 7, I tried..."
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...not-recognize-note-7-i-tried.html#post5400663

Do you also have Smart Switch installed on your computer? It breaks both Android File Transfer and AirDroid.
This is news to me! If true, it could explain much! I had SS installed b4 I D/L & tried AFT & it failed. (Although SS works for me to back up & restore.) However, I did install AirDroid on my Phone (Not on my Mac) & successfully used the AirDrop website to move photos from Mac to my Note 7 phone.

Do you have a source you can link to that says SS breaks AFT? Also, is there some work-a-round or backup solution? I would use AFT far more frequently than SS but it would be nice to have a good backup & restore app if I must delete SS in order to be able to use AFT.

jt999aj

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I use Dropsync to automatically send all my new photos in the Camera folder to a Dropbox folder named Camera. I then just drag and drop the pictures into iPhoto.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me exactly HOW! Since SS does work for me I had hoped there was some way to use this to move photos, PDFs, etc, back & forth between Phone SD card & Mac but, I could not find a way. So, when I called Samsung I spoke to the "Smart Switch Dept." & they told me No! It can back up & restore everything & also move iTunes. It cannot move jpgs, pdfs, etc. from phone to Mac or Mac to phone.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...not-recognize-note-7-i-tried.html#post5400663

This is news to me! If true, it could explain much! I had SS installed b4 I D/L & tried AFT & it failed. (Although SS works for me to back up & restore.) However, I did install AirDroid on my Phone (Not on my Mac) & successfully used the AirDrop website to move photos from Mac to my Note 7 phone.

Do you have a source you can link to that says SS breaks AFT? Also, is there some work-a-round or backup solution? I would use AFT far more frequently than SS but it would be nice to have a good backup & restore app if I must delete SS in order to be able to use AFT.
I don't have a source. It was a warning that popped up when I launched SS the first time on my MBP. It said that AFT and other similar apps wouldn't work properly while SS was installed. It also said if I uninstalled SS AFT would work properly again. My MBP is fried right now so I can't try and pull up the warning again. I spilled vodka on it last weekend. Still trying to figure out the best course of action as my Apple Care + has expired.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

No but I did end up installing smart switch and deleting android file transfer and it works so so so much better and it never disconnects even when the screen is off. So goodbye android file transfer. You have been useless to me lol it never worked for longer than 5 minutes. It will always always disconnect

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

You click on the "v" that is next to the phone name when you connect and you'll see a folder next to the internal memory. Click that and a window will pop up. I was able to transfer everything from my card to my computer through that no problem.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
blueGN7: I was following your other thread as I was also in the same boat as you. I just uninstalled Smart Switch and Android File Transfer. I then reinstalled Android File Transfer, plugged in my Note 7 and now I can connect to the computer and move files to my heart's content. I can see the SD card as a "drive".

I had used Smart Switch to move from the Galaxy S7 to the Note 7 and had some issues so did a FDR and did everything from scratch on the Note 7. It has been running great except I can't get the vibrate reminders when I've missed a reminder (when you pick up the phone and it vibrates). Not sure what the problem there is...but anyway, I don't know that I'll be using Smart Switch for my next change even if it is Note 7 to Note 7, just because I feel my device is running better having done it from scratch. Uninstalling Smart Switch was not a hardship for me and now I have the phone as a directory so I can do what I want with the files.