Repeated notifications for unread GMail email

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
If I get a new email in GMail my phone with notify me normally. The notification sound will go off, and I will see the GMail notification up in the notification tray.

However, if I don't get around to looking at the email right away, I have found that Android continues to notify me that I have a new email. I haven't been able to nail down exactly how frequent it happens, but it seems to be every 5-20 minutes? This is on a Note 7. I did not have this problem with my previous phone (Galaxy S5).

I know people are going to suggest turning off Settings -> Accessibility -> Notification Reminder, but it is already off and I have never turned it on.

Any other suggestions for getting these repeated notifications to stop? I have to have missed a setting somewhere, but I'm stumped.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this to the Note7 forum, since it's not a general Marshmallow issue.

Can you clarify--is this definitely coming from the Gmail app (as opposed to the stock Email app)? If so, is the notification for the same email that you didn't read, or is it for additional incoming email? Open Gmail, tap Menu>Settings>Inbox Sound & Vibrate, and make sure "Notify for every message" is not checked.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you clarify--is this definitely coming from the Gmail app (as opposed to the stock Email app)? If so, is the notification for the same email that you didn't read, or is it for additional incoming email? Open Gmail, tap Menu>Settings>Inbox Sound & Vibrate, and make sure "Notify for every message" is not checked.

The notification is definitely coming from the Gmail app. I don't use the stock Email app.

I do have "Notify for every message" turned on because I want to be notified more than once if I actually have more than one email. But even if I have only one email, I get the repeat notifications. "Notify for every message" shouldn't be repeatedly notifying for the same message, correct?

meckelangelo

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll give it a try. Just wiped the cache. I'll report back results once I notice them. Thanks!

I am also having the repeated vibrates, and I have "notify for every message" turned on, but repeat notifications turned off in system settings. I have a Galaxy S7. Did clearing the cache work for you?

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I am also having the repeated vibrates, and I have "notify for every message" turned on, but repeat notifications turned off in system settings. I have a Galaxy S7. Did clearing the cache work for you?

Unfortunately not, still having the problem. I'm hoping it is just some odd bug/misconfiguration and won't be an issue when I receive my 2nd Note 7 this week.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae