Feeling let down by Samsung on the Note 7?

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised to hear that quite a few people don't have backup phones. Here in Nigeria most people have two phones. The networks can be quite unreliable. The Note 4(which will be replaced by the Note 7) is my driver phone and I have a double SIM backup phone(cheaper but very acceptable) for use while my Note 4 is charging. Hopefully Samsung have learnt their lesson, won't do rush jobs (cough Galaxy S8 cough) and henceforth improve their quality control.

Last edited:

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
As long as my replacement unit is good, i can forget everything. But if i got a problematic unit and need to go service centre again, i will feel very upset and let down.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised to hear that quite a few people don't have backup phones. Here in Nigeria most people have two phones. The networks can be quite unreliable. The Note 4(which will be replaced by the Note 7) is my driver phone and I have a double SIM backup phone(cheaper but very acceptable) for use while my Note 4 is charging. Hopefully Samsung have learnt their lesson, won't do rush jobs (cough Galaxy S8 cough) and henceforth improve their quality control.

I understand what you mean, but here in the States service is not sporadic, it's constant so that makes most of us lazy to keep an extra phone....I have kept some of the Notes I have owned, the 2 and 3, but I ended up selling them to some poor soul because they were just collecting dust. I'm from Haiti and 80% of the population have 2 or more phones because down there each carrier requires you to have their phones or service is spotty between the 2-3 carriers that are there, so in order for them to stay connected they have 2-3 phones with various carriers. But I have learned my lesson and I am currently going to keep the next phone I end up purchasing whether it's the Note 7 or something else. I am also thinking about the new Pixel phones that are about to hit the market. Once in a distant land I owned an LG, I have nightmares from owning that phone....I won't even look at an LG from that experience.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, yes and no, mainly no.

Yes, because Samsung botched their chance to continue their strong momentum throughout the year, and no because they handled my case pretty well and even got an Edge+ as a loaner.

I'm not really mad at Samsung, but I really do hope that the replacements have less issues.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol first world problems, I love this phone. This could have happened to any company. There are worse things to worry about.

I count a phone that I carry around with me all the time possibly exploding on me as a big thing to worry about. I guess we have different priorities ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol first world problems, I love this phone. This could have happened to any company. There are worse things to worry about.
Not much bad can happen other than it destroying your car or house, or the death of yourself and/or your loved ones.

If you don't worry about that then sure ... Keep using it

pallav_gupta

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Though we understand that this could possibly happen to any organization out there , and are willing to be patient but not acceptable on Samsung's part to not communicate to customers as to when can they expect new device.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am still a Samsung fan, since this happened I have looked at every single Android phone out there (which I haven't done in awhile) I still can't find anything that will measure up to the Note for me, ...No I'm not going into the Apple ecosystem when it comes to phones. I am not disappointed, rather learned a valuable lesson, is to keep a back up phone....n I think if I do get the Note 7 again it will be a keeper as my back up, I tried to see if the new Pixel XL from Google would be a back up, that danm thing looks like its from the '90....lol. I am still gonna do the preorder thing, I can't help my PGism when it comes to Note phones....😁

I agree...the funny thing is, this is the first time in my phone owning experience that I felt the urge to keep a previous phone...even after I told Verizon I would send my N4, I couldn't do it....
LOL, I'm thinking N7s are going to be collectors items...

Schlubbe

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
If the phones had been made in North Korea, the people responsible for the recall (and their entire families, and some other people just for good measure) would be executed by anti-aircraft cannons or mortar rounds.

I'd swear there are people on here who would like to see that happening. :-\

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Well, yes and no, mainly no.

Yes, because Samsung botched their chance to continue their strong momentum throughout the year, and no because they handled my case pretty well and even got an Edge+ as a loaner.

I'm not really mad at Samsung, but I really do hope that the replacements have less issues.
How do you like the edge plus? I'm debating buying one as the permanent replacement. Possibly revisiting Note 7 in a few months or see what Note 8 brings

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
What surprises me the most is that you read some of this posts and some people think that it's Samsung's fault because of lack of Quality Control, until Samsung announce that a WHOLE batch of batteries were damage then there is not too much a company can do.

Let me explain, when you mass product things, anything, is completely unrealistic to expect that every single or even half of their devices are tested for everything, I mean, they design the phone, the phone is tested for several months, every individual component of the phone is also tested but not every single one of those components are tested, there are random or measured spot checks for everything, displays, memory, cpu and even the battery, so assuming a WHOLE batch of batteries were damaged when Samsung received it, then it was just negligence on their part for not testing those batteries before using them for their products, and the probabilities of that is ZERO, a giant company like Samsung won't suffer from that negligence.

So, if you are with me until now, you'll understand that what I want to say is that it's obvious those batteries and a lot of others were damaged hence the recall, but as huge as this may seems to be, it can easily be just a batch, but that batch may have been of 1000 batteries and only 100 were damaged and if Samsung has a policy of random testing just 5 or 10 batteries per batch, then statistically speaking it is very possible (and just PURE BAD LUCK) that they did their part and what has always been a good testing policy, never spotted the bad ones.

It gets even more complicated and more difficult to spot when it's even 5 or 10 bad batteries for every 1000 batteries batch, and they discovered that were various batches with the issue, and that may easily be what happened here and the reason Samsung decided that was out of their control and that was easier to just do a recall. Even when you can test ALL your batteries, this batteries are not exploding the first time they are charged or used, certain conditions needs to occur for this to happen, so they may also do simple tests to the battery, it works great, they use it on the phone, and then a week later after some heavy use and other conditions, it triggers the defect and explode. Now that they know what was wrong they may look for it, but before this began, those same damaged batteries may have well been tested and appear to be fine. Do you get my point?

I'm not saying it wasn't Samsung's fault, of course it is, it's their brand on those phones and their responsibility for everything that can go wrong with it, it's just that people like me that has worked on big companies and Mass production lines, know that it's not as easy to spot this issues as some people are saying, insinuating that it was pure Negligence what has happened, THIS issue can easily happen again and to any other OEM and any device that use a Lithium Battery, just do a Google search so you can see previous instances of iPhones, Motorola and other OEM phones exploding and/or getting fire. The damage will be significant to the brand but nothing that can't be fixable, the key here is that Samsung has done or tried to do the best they could since even before this got out of control.

Last edited:

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I count a phone that I carry around with me all the time possibly exploding on me as a big thing to worry about. I guess we have different priorities ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
That's right, here in the U.S. there are 300 million guns, you have a better chance of getting hit by a bullet that your phone "exploding" in your purse.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Not much bad can happen other than it destroying your car or house, or the death of yourself and/or your loved ones.

If you don't worry about that then sure ... Keep using it
Lol the sky is falling, run to the hills, I'm still using my Note7, get the replacement next week and move on.

Would I feel let down my Mercedes-Benz about a possible faulty airbag in my car? No, it has happened and still love my car and the brand.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm let down by the sheer number of dimwitted consumers who fell for what is really nothing more than a media fueled topic. These are the same people who call Apple fans "Sheep" who blindly follow something... look in the mirror!

I wouldn't be.. It has happened a lot to many different OEMs.... Mad as hello... I don't blame you..

This should make you feel a little bit better...

https://www.cnet.com/news/nokia-recalls-cell-phone-batteries/#ftag=amp

I hope for all of the people who bought one of these you get things squared away really soon....

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm let down by the sheer number of dimwitted consumers who fell for what is really nothing more than a media fueled topic. These are the same people who call Apple fans "Sheep" who blindly follow something... look in the mirror!

There can be do doubt that the media will fuel something and misreport, but Samsung has been very clear to stop using these devices. If you think you have figured out more than them then good luck.

jpprice14

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Stop with the let down and mad ****. Since the recall started I have ran my note 7 though paces. I turn it in tomorrow. Still no malfunctions. No scratches. No cracked screen. It's an amazing phone and I have no problem waiting for my replacement. Even if I have to deal with a second for 2 weeks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's right, here in the U.S. there are 300 million guns, you have a better chance of getting hit by a bullet that your phone "exploding" in your purse.
Well I am not lucky enough to have a purse.. As I am a guy and carry it in my pocket so if it did blow that would be my leg.

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I am not disappointed in Samsung.It was a manufacturing defect. I think they have handled recall fairly well.I have gotten several emails from Samsung and T mobile about the recall.i am using my note4 until the new note 7s come in.i have powered my note7 off.but it had no issues in the 2 weeks I had it.i will go to store when new ones come in and exchange it for new safe note7.If no issues after that then I will be satisfied. It could have happened to any company.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma