09-18-2016 12:31 PM
359 ... 1112131415
tools
    Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall: Everything you need to know Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall: Everything you need to know | Android Central

The FAA has officially advised against using or charging the Note 7 while on flights, and now that the CPSC has officially recalled the phone it's actually illegal to do so.
    Actually according to the FAA:

The defective Note 7's are now not allowed on the planes at all. Not checked or in the cabin. ON or OFF they are not allowed on any planes.
    09-16-2016 08:09 AM

The defective Note 7's are now not allowed on the planes at all. Not checked or in the cabin. ON or OFF they are not allowed on any planes.
    Does anyone know how they will distinguish them from the new notes? Havent flown in over 5 years but of course going on a trip in a few weeks..
    09-16-2016 08:16 AM
    Does anyone know how they will distinguish them from the new notes? Havent flown in over 5 years but of course going on a trip in a few weeks..
    Still a mystery
    09-16-2016 08:23 AM
    I fly every week. Just landed yesterday from my weekly trip. Airlines just say "if you have a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, do not use it during flight and do not charge it during flight. Keep it powered down at all times."

I mean, the chaos of flying is enough. There is no way anyone is going to check each individual phone. Samsung just needs to OTA a brick code on Sept 22nd that kills them all. It's the only way to stop the hysteria.
    09-16-2016 08:49 AM

Oh. Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link to an article?
    09-16-2016 08:50 AM
    Even with NEW Note 7's, to be allow to check into plane, still in question !!!!.....uuuuggggggghhhh.
    09-16-2016 09:01 AM
    Or even that it is likely to fail. I've been perfectly fine continuing to use my phone. People have their panties all up in a bunch and the media is more than happy to make it seem like it is a bigger issue that it really is.
    09-16-2016 09:01 AM
    Or even that it is likely to fail. I've been perfectly fine continuing to use my phone. People have their panties all up in a bunch and the media is more than happy to make it seem like it is a bigger issue that it really is.
    Should have left the Tylenol on the shelves then. Make it like a game. Squelch the pain for twelve hours or for once and all.
    From A Buick 8 likes this.
    09-16-2016 09:11 AM
    Were you drunk when you wrote that post?
    Long day and lots of walking in a suit in florida is not easy m8.
    Strong_Genetics likes this.
    09-16-2016 09:15 AM
    Should have left the Tylenol on the shelves then. Make it like a game. Squelch the pain for twelve hours or for once and all.
    Reminds me if this meme.
    And this is why I like the spen, easy crop and save.
    Attached Thumbnails CPSC Formal Recall Announced - Exchange / Return Your Phones-7198.jpg  
    Nostromo79 and donm527 like this.
    09-16-2016 09:16 AM
    Samsung recalls 1M Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones

Hector Abruña, director of the Energy Materials Center at Cornell University and an expert on lithium ion batteries, says Samsung is to blame for trying to create what he calls a thinner “club sandwich” — a layer of electrodes stacked in the phone’s battery — to give its devices a sleek design.

“In an effort to minimize weight and volume, Samsung used a separator that was too thin and this gave rise to shorts which made the batteries get very hot and fail catastrophically,” Abruna says.

So was Samsung able to fix this and keep same thickness or are the new Note 7's thicker?
    Nostromo79 and TamRae65 like this.
    09-16-2016 09:19 AM
    No deaths and you driving your car is probably a bigger risk.
    Nostromo79 and Carlo Villa like this.
    09-16-2016 09:21 AM
    Samsung recalls 1M Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones

Hector Abruña, director of the Energy Materials Center at Cornell University and an expert on lithium ion batteries, says Samsung is to blame for trying to create what he calls a thinner “club sandwich” — a layer of electrodes stacked in the phone’s battery — to give its devices a sleek design.

“In an effort to minimize weight and volume, Samsung used a separator that was too thin and this gave rise to shorts which made the batteries get very hot and fail catastrophically,” Abruna says.

So was Samsung able to fix this and keep same thickness or are the new Note 7's thicker?
    Aesthetics. The darn things are like slippery little lozenges as it is.
    soulsmilen likes this.
    09-16-2016 09:23 AM
    I fly every week. Just landed yesterday from my weekly trip. Airlines just say "if you have a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, do not use it during flight and do not charge it during flight. Keep it powered down at all times."

I mean, the chaos of flying is enough. There is no way anyone is going to check each individual phone. Samsung just needs to OTA a brick code on Sept 22nd that kills them all. It's the only way to stop the hysteria.
    Right because everyone will be able to walk into AT&T, T-mobile and the rest on the 21st and get a new phone!!! That's if they are even available on the 21st. Bricking a phone will surely fix the hysteria.
    09-16-2016 09:26 AM
    or switch to other brands.
    09-16-2016 09:33 AM
    I love the blue too much so I won't get any other color
    It's unique
    Nostromo79 and Jona005 like this.
    09-16-2016 09:34 AM
    How many Note 7 phones have actually exploded like in Kaboom? Most of them have just overheated and a few have caused fires but actually exploding? A bit of sensationalism has been going on here.
    Literally 99.99% have had no issues at all... just my opinion, but the sensationalism is bordering on hysteria... Hurry up Sept 21! I'll get my new kitten, and won't have to worry about being a menace to society any longer... :-)
    09-16-2016 10:29 AM
    Some interesting info at Recode. Of the 1 million Note 7s sold in the US, fewer than 130,000 have been turned in prior to the official recall today.

Fewer than 15 percent of the one million U.S. Galaxy Note 7 phones have been returned - Recode
    And that's why they have to force it by blacklisting the IMEI's and kill switching them.

If people want to be that reckless, for their safety and others they may have to force them.
    09-16-2016 10:44 AM
    And that's why they have to force it by blacklisting the IMEI's and kill switching them.

If people want to be that reckless, for their safety and other they may have to force them.
    Where is this official blacklisting and imei link? Just want to read up on it.
    09-16-2016 10:50 AM
    Where is this official blacklisting and imei link? Just want to read up on it.
    There isn't one yet, to my knowledge. I was just stating that since only 15% have been returned and there's still others stubbornly ignoring a government recall, it may be time for Samsung to force the issue.
    09-16-2016 10:53 AM
    There isn't one yet, to my knowledge. I was just stating that since only 15% have been returned and there's still others stubbornly ignoring a government recall, it may be time for Samsung to force the issue.
    Got ya. I can see so many repercussions if they do that. You can still call 911 right? Just imagine they do that. A hiker doesn't watch the news or pay attention to any of these recalls. He gets stuck and at the same time they turn that blacklisting on. No he is screwed.

Well can't be as bad recall as Chrysler right now. 1.9mill recall cars/SUV due to seatbelt and airbags not deploying. 3 have died already.
    09-16-2016 10:55 AM
    Got ya. I can see so many repercussions if they do that. You can still call 911 right? Just imagine they do that. A hiker doesn't watch the news or pay attention to any of these recalls. He gets stuck and at the same time they turn that blacklisting on. No he is screwed.

Well can't be as bad recall as Chrysler right now. 1.9mill recall cars/SUV due to seatbelt and airbags not deploying. 3 have died already.
    911 works on any phone -- blacklist, no cellular plan, etc. That is why when people hand their old phones without a SIM to their kid to play with people still warn them to not have them dial 911 because it will still hookup and dial that.
    09-16-2016 10:57 AM
    I think the separator in question is within the battery? If so, they fixed it... by dropping Samsung SDI...
    using the Chinese battery as their main supplier.

09-16-2016 11:04 AM
    911 works on any phone -- blacklist, no cellular plan, etc. That is why when people hand their old phones without a SIM to their kid to play with people still warn them to not have them dial 911 because it will still hookup and dial that.
    Cool. Then yep it would be the best route for them to do it officially.
    09-16-2016 11:04 AM
    Cool. Then yep it would be the best route for them to do it officially.
    Oh also one more thing on that note -- it will work with ANY cell signal the phone can connect to. Such as it isn't just locked to a T-Mobile or Verizon signal (and so on). The phone will reach out and any tower that can accept the signal for the 911 call will allow it to hook up and dial.
    dadsterflip and Preach2k like this.
    09-16-2016 11:06 AM
359 ... 1112131415