CPSC Formal Recall Announced - Exchange / Return Your Phones

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Formal recall being announced by CPSC today at 4:15

Turns out it's not 100% of the devices, but only 97% in the US, which admittedly is still pretty bad, but at least some of us do have a good one. At least the IMEI checker can go back and we can have the link here again. It is officially Android Central approved.

New Samsung site tells you if your Galaxy Note 7 is safe [Update: Taken down] | Android Central

You should stop using your phone immediately and start the return/exchange process. It's pretty simple really. There is NO logic that says keep the phone you have right now.

[h=5]Remedy[/h]Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note7 devices purchased before September 15, 2016. Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased your device to receive free of charge a new Galaxy Note7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device. Go to www.samsung.com for more details.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The "chicken littlers" here have been absurd from day one. Why is everyone looking for worst-case scenarios everywhere?

I guess I'm one of them. I'm happy with my edge and won't return it. I will probably get an Note 8 or S8 Edge next year anyways. I might only be stuck with the Edge for 4 months if they release the new one earlier as rumored next year.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
For those who currently own note 7 we should see ours replaced with the new battery approved ones no later than sept 21st if I read correctly. Relief !

bettyn100

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
From Samsung directly:

5. When can I buy a new Note7?
Our first priority will be to provide exchange program participants with a new Note7 as approved by the CPSC. New Note7s will be available at your carrier and retail outlets no later than September 21, 2016.
Auckland that I didn't just keep mine. I just turned it in a couple of days ago. Darn!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Once they put up the IMEI checker, I will. I ordered my replacement this morning. If I have a bad one per the checker I will accept the replacement and switch over to my N4 until I get the N7 replacement. ONLY if the IMEI checker says I have a bad one.
You should stop using your phone immediately and start the return/exchange process. It's pretty simple really. There is NO logic that says keep the phone you have right now.

Remedy

Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note7 devices purchased before September 15, 2016. Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased your device to receive free of charge a new Galaxy Note7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device. Go to www.samsung.com for more details.

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just plugged my IMEI in and got this:

Attention:Your Galaxy Note7 is an affected device and is subject to this recall. It is extremely important to stop using your device, power it down immediately and contact your carrier or retail outlet to exchange it.

Now, I've had it turned off since 9/2, but I've been hanging on to it until I could do a straight across exchange for another Note 7. Turned it on to get the IMEI and it got warm. Not going to lie, scared the you know what out of me. I've turned it back off and it's cooled down now.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Auckland that I didn't just keep mine. I just turned it in a couple of days ago. Darn!

I did too for an S7 Edge which I like. I have to work most of next week and the deadline approaching and all. Oh well.

The s8 is rumored to be out earlier than usual. I'm sure a lot of users on this forum will jump to the S8 Edge when it comes out. That is what Note users do. They get the new Edge, then later in the year are back to the Note lol.

Blazeeofglory

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

Once they put up the IMEI checker, I will. I ordered my replacement this morning. If I have a bad one per the checker I will accept the replacement and switch over to my N4 until I get the N7 replacement. ONLY if the IMEI checker says I have a bad one.

The IMEI checker is available on samsungs website.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Until then there is a 97% chance that your phone IS affected. A 97% chance that it could catch fire.

Again, there is no logic that says it's a good idea to keep using it.