CPSC Formal Recall Announced - Exchange / Return Your Phones

wildcard30

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: I just got official email from Samsung

Got my email a little while ago don't know if I am going to get another one since I have been using my Nexus 6p for 2 weeks now.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
No amount of cooling will prevent the battery from exploding. No amount of "being careful" will prevent it from exploding.

You CAN use an S7 but are simply CHOOSING not to. You CAN change your work flow for a few weeks to accommodate not potentially burning your house or car to the ground. You are CHOOSING not to do this.

With all due respect, I believe you are merely stating a personal opinion, even if it is a *good and prudent* one. I personally have the opinion that one can take precautions to minimize your risk, although I would not by any means recommend it.

I was lucky enough to catch mine in the process of overheating, (had to hold by the sides and it was still almost burning me) and quickly put in in the refrigerator. (1 day before the recall, so I didn't know anything yet.)

It was charging AND doing an android update at the same time. I have a refrigerator. I put it in there. It cooled down. All was well. I have been careful since, and no problems. I have installed a battery temp alarm app. I don't leave it unattended - ever. I don't let it discharge more than 20% to minimize re-charging time. I have turned off fast charging. I will not do updates unless I have a full battery and put my exploding kitten in the refrigerator. I have removed the case (they hold heat).

Sammy's own website Galaxy Note7 Safety Recall and Exchange Program says heat IS the precursor to the failure. "Since the affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk..."

I, too, choose to wait until next week for a replacement. Changing my workflow, buying another phone, etc., is not something I'm choosing to do.

Approx 100 incidents out of 1 million phones in the US is what? 0.01%? that's not 1%, that's 1/100th of 1 percent! I probably have a greater risk of dropping my phone, cracking the display, cutting my finger on the cracked display, and dying of a blood infection than I do from being harmed by this phone exploding.

...wish I could get those kind of odds in Vegas... :)

Last edited:

Adaboy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I just received email from Samsung about this official recall to turn phone in and that new phones will be available no later than Sept 21st. Man I don't know what to do. My phone is working fine no heat problems( I know it could still explode).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
With all due respect, I believe you are merely stating a personal opinion, even if it is a *good and prudent* one. I personally have the opinion that one can take precautions to minimize your risk, although I would not by any means recommend it.

I was lucky enough to catch mine in the process of overheating, (had to hold by the sides and it was still almost burning me) and quickly put in in the refrigerator. (1 day before the recall, so I didn't know anything yet.)

It was charging AND doing an android update at the same time. I have a refrigerator. I put it in there. It cooled down. All was well. I have been careful since, and no problems. I have installed a battery temp alarm app. I don't leave it unattended - ever. I don't let it discharge more than 20% to minimize re-charging time. I have turned off fast charging. I will not do updates unless I have a full battery and put my exploding kitten in the refrigerator. I have removed the case (they hold heat).

Sammy's own website Galaxy Note7 Safety Recall and Exchange Program says heat IS the precursor to the failure. "Since the affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk..."

I, too, choose to wait until next week for a replacement. Changing my workflow, buying another phone, etc., is not something I'm choosing to do.

Approx 100 incidents out of 1 million phones in the US is what? 0.01%? that's not 1%, that's 1/100th of 1 percent! I probably have a greater risk of dropping my phone, cracking the display, cutting my finger on the cracked display, and dying of a blood infection than I do from being harmed by this phone.

You're misreading the Samsung site.

Overheating is the result of the failure, not the cause. Your own experience proves that. You can't simply cool the phone back down and the problem goes away. Once the failure happens that's it. It can't be stopped.

You just experienced, well, something else. But it wasn't the issue that caused this recall.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Approx 100 incidents out of 1 million phones in the US is what? 0.01%? that's not 1%, that's 1/100th of 1 percent! I probably have a greater risk of dropping my phone, cracking the display, cutting my finger on the cracked display, and dying of a blood infection than I do from being harmed by this phone.

There are no precautions other than turning it off and not using it or charging it and even that isn't foolproof. The quote about them overheating does not say they overheating and then combustion occurs, it is referring to overheating as a nice way of saying that the device can burn. I'm glad you're feeling lucky buy the odds are not 100 in a million, they're about 100 confirmed to have catastrophic manifestations of a failure that exists in every single one of them.

As as indicated in all the other threads that people chose to argue odds, the confirmation number is likely around 8% of those that include confirmed, unconfirmed and unreported. And that is only the number that failed catastrophically. Those that failed in less spectacular fashion would be an even higher number still. If 92 is 8% of the real catastrophic presenters and those are a tenth of all presenters then we'd be looking at nearly 10,000 presented failures out of the 400,000 or so that made it into consumer hands.

That changes the odds to 1 in 40 - and the 40 is still too high given that many of the 400,000 have already been returned. But even saying only 10% were returned, you're left with 1 out of 36. Those are good odds to you when being wrong can mean loss of property, health or life? Especially given that yours IS one of those ones, so your odds on your personal device are 1 in 1.

But for everyone who liked knowing the 1 in 36 presenter figure and compare that to the 97% are bad figure that Samsung released and the fact that they're recalling 100% ... There are no precautions listed that can help mitigate. That was simply not part of any official statement given to date.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Gonna be nice when the forum gets back to Note 7 help, performance tweaks and alike topics opposed to this last two weeks of recall confusion and speculation. I was just a guilty in the convo, excited to see the end and to move on enjoying my fresh new Note 7. Sure was an interesting ride, hope to never find myself on the same road again though. My biggest lesson from all of this, NEVER purchase another phone from best buy, straight to the source (carrier) for me on next year's phone purchase!!

Samsung must be relieved this all is happening before too many other newly released phones hit the shelves in near future.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My biggest lesson from all of this, NEVER purchase another phone from best buy, straight to the source (carrier) for me on next year's phone purchase!!

lol I'd go completely the other way, never purchase a phone direct from a carrier and always get it straight from the manufacturer :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae