CPSC Formal Recall Announced - Exchange / Return Your Phones

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Anyone returning or returned and purchase later?

For the peeps who have a backup phone, did anyone return theirs, or plan on returning it for full refund, then a couple months later closer to Christmas shopping season when the new phones for SALE are on the shelves, will you pick one up? Just stating that because I would think there will be some big price slashes with these Note 7s now due to the reputation being recalled.

Did anyone consider this?

I considered it and was actually at the T-Mobile store ready to get a refund, guy told me it's a very long process since I preordered online. After a few minutes of waiting I said I'd wait and see what happens. He then told me that they were expecting replacements by the 21st. Glad I decided to wait.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I still have mine but a loaner is on the way. Who knows when the stores near me will actually have replacement devices. I've tempted fate long enough.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I still have mine but a loaner is on the way. Who knows when the stores near me will actually have replacement devices. I've tempted fate long enough.
They will have them by the 21st at least.... Mainly the corporate stores and big box retailers.... You may not get lucky at smaller franchise stores

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Haha ya I hope we all get our new notes soon and hope no other issues arise. Jeez imagine that. Positive thoughts though. My lesson learned was never preorder a phone lol lol. Wait to see what happens

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Got my email too, anybody still have and are using their phone?

Still have and been using mine same as I have been the whole time. It stays plugged into my car charger all day who'll im working and streaming music with GPS going etc...

I have fast charging on, and have a quick charge car charger... no issues yet.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Still have and been using mine same as I have been the whole time. It stays plugged into my car charger all day who'll im working and streaming music with GPS going etc...

I have fast charging on, and have a quick charge car charger... no issues yet.
I haven't had that much guts but I continued to use it and only charge it at home when I'm awake....

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Guts... meh... If if its gonna blow, it's gonna blow, fast charge, slow charge, not charging at all, makes no difference.

All that being said... If there was a vzw store within an hour drive, I'd have prolly swapped it, but between the hour drive (in the opposite direction from where i work) and all the horror stories i read on here, i decided to just roll with it till there is a clear solution.

Looks like there is now a clear solution... I will contact vzw tomorrow, in hopes they will mail me a new one, and return packaging for the old, if not, I'll get myself to a store eventually...

Schlubbe

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Wait... one in thirty-six is going to explode before we can trade them in on Wednesday?

Care to show your math again?

Look, I'm going to trade it out asap, but c'mon... how does such hyperbole help?

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I must say I'm surprised the government approved so fast because there was speculation that they will delay it all. Phew thank goodness!

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Some interesting info at Recode. Of the 1 million Note 7s sold in the US, fewer than 130,000 have been turned in prior to the official recall today.

Fewer than 15 percent of the one million U.S. Galaxy Note 7 phones have been returned - Recode

Of course.. There was no definitive replacement timeline so it makes sense. As much as I give in to caution, there was no way they were getting my phone without a clear plan and date. I did, however, power it down and go back to my N4 in the interim. It 's just a number, and there's no way to interpret how many were still being used.

Many others didn't have luck with returning or exchanging, couldn't due to driving distance, etc etc. There are many reasons. I'm just glad we're on the way to recovery now, and like was said already, we can now get back to tech info, advice, tweaking, and such.

In short... Woohoo!

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You're misreading the Samsung site.

Overheating is the result of the failure, not the cause. Your own experience proves that. You can't simply cool the phone back down and the problem goes away. Once the failure happens that's it. It can't be stopped.

You just experienced, well, something else. But it wasn't the issue that caused this recall.

Well, again, I believe you are stating an opinion, especially where you say, "Once the failure happens that's it. It can't be stopped." and that, "You just experienced, well, something else."... Further, I am reading the website exactly as it's written.

But I do agree you're at least partially correct... General overheating is a result of the plates in the battery being under too much pressure to begin with, which is what the manufacturing defect has been reported to be. It seems reasonable therefore, to conclude that continued overheating will very likely result in one of the short-circuit failure scenarios that causes meltdown/fire/exploding kittens!

I absolutely believe that Heat is definitely not your friend, here... :) So for you to say that no amount of cooling can prevent an explosion is, IMO, not entirely accurate. (BTW, I'm not a battery expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn... and I do have a degree in Electronics Engineering Technology, so I'm not a complete dummy, either. Well, at least most of the time LOL, because my phone is still on!)

There are other possibilities, (some where heat is a contributing factor, some not) and from what I've read, (you can Google to your heart's content here) they all stem from the battery plates being under too much pressure from this manufacturing defect - there will likely be more when this is all over, but some possible scenarios for failure from this defect include:

1.) When lithium ion batteries are continually trickle charged, the lithium ions can start to cover the surface of the negative contact in a coating of lithium metal through a process called "plating." And in extreme conditions, that lithium metal can form tiny spikes (called "dendrites") that can poke right through the separator, creating -- you guessed it -- a short circuit. (this one would not be heat-related)
https://www.cnet.com/news/why-is-samsung-galaxy-note-7-exploding-overheating/

2.) ...perhaps Samsung simply pressed so hard that the positive and negative terminals poked right through the separator and managed to touch... (not heat-related, either)

3.) ...Or perhaps it's the sponge-like separator itself that got squished. Normally, says Sadoway, the separator allows the liquid electrolyte to pass through pores connecting the negative and positive sides of the battery, even as it keeps the two terminals separate. "If they press really hard, they constrict the pores, the resistance goes up and you generate more heat," says the professor. (heat-related)

4.) What if only part of the battery was squished improperly, so that the phone couldn't tell when it was 100 percent charged, and kept on charging the cell? (heat-related due to overcharging)

So, I'm going to say that it is highly likely that I did stop, by cooling, a potential "failure in progress" through nothing more than just plain dumb luck (or, as I prefer to believe, the intervention of YHVH!). Yes, cooling did not fix the manufacturing defect that is still there, (the battery plates under too much pressure) but it hasn't short-circuited and failed yet, just like the other 99.99% of the 1 million GN7 users in the USA. So, in all likelihood, I will make it until next week until my new GN7 arrives. :)

I would still take these odds in Vegas any time! :) Thanks for your time. I hope that some of the detail is helpful, and I look forward to the day (like many of you, I would imagine) where this will be a long-forgotten topic...

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully will be able to replace mine this weekend at BB. I will take any color thats in stock at this point. Still the best phone out including the Iphone 7.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There are no precautions other than turning it off and not using it or charging it and even that isn't foolproof. The quote about them overheating does not say they overheating and then combustion occurs, it is referring to overheating as a nice way of saying that the device can burn. I'm glad you're feeling lucky buy the odds are not 100 in a million, they're about 100 confirmed to have catastrophic manifestations of a failure that exists in every single one of them.

As as indicated in all the other threads that people chose to argue odds, the confirmation number is likely around 8% of those that include confirmed, unconfirmed and unreported. And that is only the number that failed catastrophically. Those that failed in less spectacular fashion would be an even higher number still. If 92 is 8% of the real catastrophic presenters and those are a tenth of all presenters then we'd be looking at nearly 10,000 presented failures out of the 400,000 or so that made it into consumer hands.

That changes the odds to 1 in 40 - and the 40 is still too high given that many of the 400,000 have already been returned. But even saying only 10% were returned, you're left with 1 out of 36. Those are good odds to you when being wrong can mean loss of property, health or life? Especially given that yours IS one of those ones, so your odds on your personal device are 1 in 1.

But for everyone who liked knowing the 1 in 36 presenter figure and compare that to the 97% are bad figure that Samsung released and the fact that they're recalling 100% ... There are no precautions listed that can help mitigate. That was simply not part of any official statement given to date.

Well, it appears the majority of people decided to risk it, since most people decided to keep and use their Note 7s based on usage trends published today (minimal change from pre ban) and local Verizon, plus two Best Buys stated the same. Not buying the 100 fires (if referring to fires) The only ones public have been the same events regurgitated over and over with no validation. The others in the news were discredited.

1 in 40 is inherently false based on the hundreds of thousands still using theirs. There should be thousands of Jeeps and garages up in flames. Probably a few zeppelins too.

Samsung is playing it safe. About two billion worth of safe. I'm not minimizing the issue, but pointing out most kept their Notes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance