Jumped ship -- Coming back?

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine didn't have awful lag, but it did hesitate some and wasn't super responsive. Course the few times i showed it to people it would hesitate horribly and then I would get an odd look. It certainly wasn't as fluid as my iPhone 6s, but better than my HTC m8 which is admittedly pretty old!

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
We shall see -- I snagged an i7 this morning but the screen is too small and just not very good. I'm hesitant to return because I don't want to buy an $850 device that isn't going to hold it's value.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do find posts like this comical sometimes. It is always interesting to me to see those have the phone and just be super happy and love every feature.. Which is fine.. But then one reason or another they return it (in this case a recall) and now it had issues (lag, app performance, battery, etc.), the screen isn't worth QHD, and so on.

Just so weird to see that instant flip once the phone is gone. Honeymoon affect? That would be my only guess.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Sticking with my loaner s7e..I loved my note, best phone I've ever had. That being said this 7e is pretty awesome too. I had never used the spen until n7 so I'm not missing it much.
I'll be an n8 user next time around, but only after its proven itself as a great phone. I've been thru 2 preorder flagship phones and gotten burnt(hahaha) both times. Rotation issues on s6edge and this note7 debacle. Me and my s7e are happy👊

Both S7E and Note 7 to me both on par. Of course the Note a bit more features, but the Note did seem a bit more laggy to me compared to my Edge. I'll likely buy the S8 Edge though. It might be out in Feb which would be nice too. I'm waiting a month this time though, no more pre orders for me!

With Note 7 sales in the tank probably and this debacle, I would think the S8 Edge will go all out with more features, 6gb ram hopefully as well. If not I can always wait for the Note 8 but I will get an itch and get a S8 Edge then probably the Note.Hopefully the Edge lasts me 5 months until the new model lol. So far I like it.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Why didn't you get the Plus model?
Unless you reserved they have no plus models at their store to pick up as a walk in... Apple made a announcement yesterday stating they won't have Any plus models or jet black models regular or plus for launch day at their stores... Pretty messed up cause some people were camping from earlier in the week only to find out last minute they would have no plus models in any color...

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I did and I'm not.

I still don't understand how you'll physically be able to tell what phones have been exchanged and which ones haven't at airports, trains, etc... For resale you can check the Samsung site before you buy, but I'm just meh about the phone now.

I'll be back with S8...maybe

The battery was tested by a 3rd party and was deemed to be safe...I'll feel better after the replacement I still love this phone

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't decide. I loved the note while I had it, also loved the gear Vr. I did miss iMessage, well i actually missed a ton of group texts between people due to that issue getting off of iMessage. My brother is awful with tech so skyping with my niece vs FaceTime was hard, since he has issues with Skype for some reason. I could live with those two, but the cracking glass has me concerned, especially since I mountain bike a lot with my phone in my pocket, or hike with it in my pocket. Not convinced it will be durable enough. I'm tired of Apple and always loved my android phones, but that durability is concerning to me now. Decisions, decisions.
You should try Facebook. It's actually rather nice and easy to connect.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine didn't have awful lag, but it did hesitate some and wasn't super responsive. Course the few times i showed it to people it would hesitate horribly and then I would get an odd look. It certainly wasn't as fluid as my iPhone 6s, but better than my HTC m8 which is admittedly pretty old!
I just purchased an iPad pro and the way they handle their notifications really bug me. I love having a clear all button in android to clean up the clutter. Also hate that you can't swipe right to dismiss notifications. Just seems half baked to me.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased an iPad pro and the way they handle their notifications really bug me. I love having a clear all button in android to clean up the clutter. Also hate that you can't swipe right to dismiss notifications. Just seems half baked to me.
In IOS 10 theirs a 3D touch function that nows lets u clear all notifications

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I do find posts like this comical sometimes. It is always interesting to me to see those have the phone and just be super happy and love every feature.. Which is fine.. But then one reason or another they return it (in this case a recall) and now it had issues (lag, app performance, battery, etc.), the screen isn't worth QHD, and so on.

Just so weird to see that instant flip once the phone is gone. Honeymoon affect? That would be my only guess.
Agreed. Secretly I think some people find a reason to hate anything that isn't Apple(could be vice versa for Samsung). Me personally I'm loving my phone. Every phone has it flaws, but there is just no phones that offer all the features I have become fond of in the note series. Really hard to compare to other devices for me.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Of course Samsung's has a better display no one will go against that but when it comes to smoothness and operating the iPhone definitely takes that

Better how? Just in resolution?

I'll give Samsung black levels obviously since it's AMOLED.

But this year just based on what we've heard I'm leaning towards Apple for overall display quality. Color accuracy will be great, just like it is with modern Samsung displays in Basic Mode (other modes are not color accurate).

Where Apple trumps Samsung is with DCI-P3 support and OS-level color management. Yes, the Note 7 is also DCI-P3 capable, but Android lacks the capability to handle it properly. What this mean is that when Amazon Instant Video comes to the Note 7 with HDR it's Samsung that has to flip the switch to DCI-P3 and not Android as an OS.

"But it doesn't matter who flips the switch". Maybe not today. But it WILL matter when more apps want to use the extended color range. Samsung will need to white list every single one of those apps. That's extra work for Samsung AND the developer.

On iOS color management is built in to the OS. It's an API that app developers can use to have the display switch color spaces automatically. This makes it much easier for apps to decide to use the extended color space.

Maybe this won't be much of an issue in the long term. Maybe next year Google will put proper color management into the OS. We don't know. But what we do know is that RIGHT NOW Apple has a trump card when it comes to displays.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The Honeymoon affect and the Apple distortion field have me conflicted too.

I was all set on the getting the new iPhone after returning the Note 7. It's the travel restrictions that convinced me to not consider the Note 7 anymore.

The iPhone has two features I want. DCI-P3 support on the display and camera, and 2x optical zoom on the 7 Plus. Display and camera are the two most important features on a phone for me, and having optical zoom on the camera sounds awesome.

But now that I've thought about it for a few days I find myself swaying back towards the Note 7. It does do everything I want, and I really enjoyed the phone when I had it.

It just has those lingering travel issues and a negative stigma (that I would eventually just get over of course).

So I'm torn for reasons that I can't quite figure out.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Both S7E and Note 7 to me both on par. Of course the Note a bit more features, but the Note did seem a bit more laggy to me compared to my Edge. I'll likely buy the S8 Edge though. It might be out in Feb which would be nice too. I'm waiting a month this time though, no more pre orders for me!

With Note 7 sales in the tank probably and this debacle, I would think the S8 Edge will go all out with more features, 6gb ram hopefully as well. If not I can always wait for the Note 8 but I will get an itch and get a S8 Edge then probably the Note.Hopefully the Edge lasts me 5 months until the new model lol. So far I like it.
God man the fact that we have to hope a $7-800 device can last us only 5 months is a scary though when you really think about it, lol. I'm guilty as charged myself but I never really stop to think about that.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

I don't disagree, I keep trying to swipe the notifications away on ios10 and it won't work! Lol

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree, I keep trying to swipe the notifications away on ios10 and it won't work! Lol

That just seems like an adjustment thing. You can hit the X and dismiss them (I have them listed by day since I haven't pulled the iPad out of my bag for a few days) or swipe left and hit "clear".

I still seem to prefer Nougat notifications, but I can deal with iOS notifications too.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they are going to offer a standard screen next year...gonna be all edge screens.

I'll never consider any other Android phone besides a Samsung device. As botched as this fiasco was, Samsung is still imo the top smartphone maker in the world, closely seconded by Apple. Every other manufacturer is just a speck on a large wheel as far as I'm concerned.

I'm probably just going to keep the S7E as well. I'd like to get the Note 7 back, but this whole thing has just mentally drained me, and idk if I have it in me to visit the Tmobile store any more this year...I've been there enough in 2016. If the S8 is coming out in February or even March, I can manage until then.

I really NEED that Grace UX though....
I miss Grace more than anything else on the N7 to be honest lol

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I miss Grace more than anything else on the N7 to be honest lol

Yep, same here, and honestly IF I end up going back to the Note 7 that's going to be the reason why. It looks like I'm going to still be in my 14 day return window when it comes back out, so I just have to decide if I want to go through the process of returning, doing another purchase, paying tax, potentially a down payment, and dealing with the incompetent T-Mobile reps at my store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis