Samsung, VZW and Sam's Club - All Clueless

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
* Revised as of 9/22*

Revising this OP and the name of this thread.
All three of these organizations have botched this recall, badly, for just about everyone.
If you are unfortunate enough to have purchased your phone through Sam's Club, your world is probably worse.

As of today, for me, there's no way to exchange my N7 for a safe N7.
Not a single, direct, N7 for N7 exchange - through any channel.
Samsung and Verizon have made arrangements/promises, and every one has been broken.
Sam's Club published a terrible return/exchange policy, and currently does not expect stock until October sometime.

Fortunately, the N7 is the best phone on the market for me.
Unfortunately, Samsung, Verizon and Sam's Club won't comply with the Fed Recall.

Sam's Club has been far behind the curve on this recall. First, sending out an email that does not provide an option for an N7-to-N7 exchange in the future, and as of today, not knowing anything about the CPSC announcement, or about Samsung's promise to have new N7 stock by the 21st.

My carrier - Verizon - will not give me a loaner, nor will they exchange my N7 for a new N7 after the 21st. Didn't buy it from us? We're not interested.

So, for me, as of this AM, there is NO option to swap my N7 for a new one after the 21st - in any channel. That's not what the Samsung and the U.S. Gov said should be happening as of yesterday.

Enter Samsung. Over the phone, once they heard that Sam's Club does not provide an option for a future exchange, and that Verizon won't either, they worked with Verizon directly - while I waited on hold - to provide a loaner tomorrow, and to provide an N7/N7 exchange next Wednesday. They've confirmed this with Verizon, and I have a Verizon case number that ties me to this issue. I'd say that's hopeful.

Of course, the proof will be in pudding tomorrow and next Wednesday. :)

Just wanted to share with other Sam's Club purchasers, and any other N7 owner that's not getting immediate support from other retailers.

Last edited:

Twangtron3000

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Stepping In for Clueless Retailer...

Thanks for the info! I'm still holding out hope that Sam's Club will do an easy N7 - N7 exchange once they get their new stock. If not, I'll be calling Samsung too.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Sam's Club has been far behind the curve on this recall. First, sending out an email that does not provide an option for an N7-to-N7 exchange in the future, and as of today, not knowing anything about the CPSC announcement, or about Samsung's promise to have new N7 stock by the 21st.

My carrier - Verizon - will not give me a loaner, nor will they exchange my N7 for a new N7 after the 21st. Didn't buy it from us? We're not interested.

So, for me, as of this AM, there is NO option to swap my N7 for a new one after the 21st - in any channel. That's not what the Samsung and the U.S. Gov said should be happening as of yesterday.

Enter Samsung. Over the phone, once they heard that Sam's Club does not provide an option for a future exchange, and that Verizon won't either, they worked with Verizon directly - while I waited on hold - to provide a loaner tomorrow, and to provide an N7/N7 exchange next Wednesday. They've confirmed this with Verizon, and I have a Verizon case number that ties me to this issue. I'd say that's hopeful.

Of course, the proof will be in pudding tomorrow and next Wednesday. :)

Just wanted to share with other Sam's Club purchasers, and any other N7 owner that's not getting immediate support from other retailers.

Maybe they will do this for Target too since they are just as clueless as Sam's club

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm so confused at this point on what to do. I guess I'll wait till Wednesday and hope Sam's Club does a clean exchange for a new Note 7.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I was going to try that too. But, after talking to my store, and SC Corporate, I am not sure that'll happen given that there is absolutely no evidence as of now that it will. It certainly could happen, but I have far more confidence that Verizon will have stock, in sufficient amount, come Wednesday.

Overall, I still reserve comment until I see Verizon mobilize based on Samsung's prodding.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

I'm not surprised. Sam's Club is pitiful when it comes to customer service. I ordered a TV online on 8/22. Notified it was shipped on 8/23 and would have it by 9/2. On 9/2 I learned the shipping company had never received it and Sam's had no idea where it was. I was told I would have the refund in my bank in 2 days. On 9/8 I called since the refund had not been received. I was told then it shipped on the 6th, 4 days after they said they would cancel and refund my money. I told them after they said they cancelled the order I bought the same TV for $100 less at Walmart. I just want my refund. Today is 9/16 and I'm still waiting for the refund.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Good thing Samsung is helping Sams/Verizon customers. They sure as hell aren't helping their own customers.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Reading other threads on this subject, here's what I recommend:

- If your SC has you on an exchange list, and is promising you an additional $150, that is awesome, hope this happens for you.
- If your SC has you on an exchange list, but no extra $150, still go for it.
- If your SC is sticking to their written corporate policy that says that there will be no N7/N7 exchanges under any circumstance, try having Samsung lean on your carrier to do the right thing. This is what I have in process at the moment.
- If you are willing to wait to see how things sort out in the next couple of weeks at SC, God bless you b/c you have more patience than me.

One thing for sure: There is absolutely no clarity or consistency at Sam's Club. As of now, their corporate policy is in non-compliance with the Fed/Samsung policy.

azcal77

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

I have 2 of the Note 7 phones purchased at SC that are on the recall list. Like other posts on this site I received the "Deer in the headlights" response when I first talked to the wireless person and same result when I talked to the store manager. The managers response "I hear there's a problem with the Note 7's but we don't have an exchange program" also they were not creating a waiting list. When I called Samsung I was read a scrip that was similar to the email I received from Samsung. I'm just going to call SC every day & hang in there until the 21st. Does anyone have a phone # For Sams Corporate?

bdelio

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

That's interesting. I received this email for the note 7 I purchased for my wife from Sams Club which makes me hopeful they will exchange the phone. They didn't really state to come in for the exchange but did quote the recall which said

"Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased the device to receive free of charge a new Galaxy Note 7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device."

Copy of email:

Recall message from Sam's Club
September 16, 2016

Subject: CPSC Recall for Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Smartphones

Dear Sam's Club Member:

The Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Product Safety and Compliance team has been notified that Samsung in conjunction with the Consumer Product Safety Commission has initiated a Recall of the Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone because the lithium-ion battery in the smartphone can overheat and catch fire, posing a serious burn hazard to consumers.

Our records reflect you may have purchased this product.

Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note 7 devices. Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased the device to receive free of charge a new Galaxy Note 7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device. Go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...A%2F%2Fwww.samsung.com%2Fus%2F&token=F3GpaMDR for more details or call Samsung toll-free at 844-365-6197.

Sincerely,

Walmart Product Safety and Compliance

Sam's Club Member Services 2101 SE Simple Savings Drive, Bentonville, AR 72716-0745
© 2000-2012, Sam's West, Inc. All rights reserved.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

That's interesting. I received this email for the note 7 I purchased for my wife from Sams Club which makes me hopeful they will exchange the phone. They didn't really state to come in for the exchange but did quote the recall which said

"Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased the device to receive free of charge a new Galaxy Note 7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device."

Copy of email:

Recall message from Sam's Club
September 16, 2016

Subject: CPSC Recall for Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Smartphones

Dear Sam's Club Member:

The Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Product Safety and Compliance team has been notified that Samsung in conjunction with the Consumer Product Safety Commission has initiated a Recall of the Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone because the lithium-ion battery in the smartphone can overheat and catch fire, posing a serious burn hazard to consumers.

Our records reflect you may have purchased this product.

Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note 7 devices. Contact the wireless carrier, retail outlet or Samsung.com where you purchased the device to receive free of charge a new Galaxy Note 7 with a different battery, a refund or a new replacement device. Go to Electronics & Appliances: Tablets, Smartphones, TVs | Samsung US for more details or call Samsung toll-free at 844-365-6197.

Sincerely,

Walmart Product Safety and Compliance

Sam's Club Member Services 2101 SE Simple Savings Drive, Bentonville, AR 72716-0745
© 2000-2012, Sam's West, Inc. All rights reserved.

Encouraging news.
I haven't received that email however.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I have resigned myself to just waiting until later this week. Some place will allow an exchange, somewhere. But as of now, this is what I know:

- I talked with VZW yesterday. Samsung forwarded a case directly to VZW telling them to honor an exchange. As of yesterday, and with this Samsung intervention, VZW said that they WILL NOT exchange my N7. They said that I have to get it exchanged at Sam's.

- As of a couple of days ago, SC WILL NOT exchange my N7 unless I return my gift card.

- As of a couple of days ago, Samsung WILL NOT exchange my N7, instead the created the case that was forwarded to VZW. Recurse back to the first bullet above and start over again. :)

I fully appreciate that some have heard that SC has already put them on a "list", others received a SC email, others have had VZW offer to exchange on the 21st. My experience is different, and I've pushed on each of these fronts.

I am not really bothered, but I am amazed at what a CF this continues to be for at least some of us. Imagine if this was for a product more important than a freakin' cell phone??

I am sure one of these places will connect the dots and offer me the exchange, as they have to, it's an official recall. I made the OP in hopes that Samsung would clear the air, but they didn't.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Although it really doesn't matter in the long run (see my post above) SC continues to be clueless.

I called SC today (yes, I asked for the Store Manager) and was told that they will have new stock on 10/4. Not quite in compliance with the first option in our well-worn Samsung Recall Notice.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Samsung did the same thing for me with Best Buy
Best Buy wouldnt give me a loaner, I called Samsung, they called BB and the next day I told them, they offered me a loaner

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Stepping In for Clueless Retailer *Update: Not Really*

Samsung did the same thing for me with Best Buy
Best Buy wouldnt give me a loaner, I called Samsung, they called BB and the next day I told them, they offered me a loaner

Good to hear.

As of today, Samsung, VZW and Sam's Club are all coming up short.
No easy/clear/direct way to get an exchange.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908