The Unavoidable stigma...

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
They just need a "killer ad compaign" to reintroduce it... Some of their past commercials have been REALLY good....Personally, my all time fav:

Just get Taylor Swift or someone to make it cool to carry a phone that could have exploded but has been "fixed" and everyone will want one..lol : )

BTC

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I never worry about stigma. I buy a product based on providing features I desire - not to impress anyone. If I'm satisfied with it, what difference does public perception make?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Now people will think all Samsung phones blow up

Even still though, I doubt this will hurt Samsung as a brand in the long-term.

I don't think this will happen. I know own Samsung will bounce back. APPLE has gone thru recalls. It can happen. Car mfg. Everyone bounces back. I can't wait to have it back.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Reading new and breaking news of explosion in New York and dunno what it is... Donald Trump tweeting like it's a bomb and other report saying maybe blown transformer. But latest tweet pops up...

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/777332910462337024

The stigma gonna stick a little while longer :-\

Did you read the replies? No one thought it was funny, so I doubt we'll be hearing many of those anymore.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I read a few... didn't stop him from using it as a joke no matter how bad. I didn't even look for it... ...timely... just popped on my feed cause I been following politics.
A fairly known political blogger/radio show guy. Nothing seems to be off limits from political people now a days. :-\

Did you read the replies? No one thought it was funny, so I doubt we'll be hearing many of those anymore.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but I think the worst part about this stigma comes from people who aren't educated on the topic and don't realize it is ONE line of phones that are having g this issue. It's not ALL Samsung phones. I say "I have a 7Edge" and the response is "isn't that the one that's blowing up?"

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it will be an issue. The general public don't pay much attention to this stuff. I've had to explain the recall to everyone, they didn't even know about it. This is a big deal to people like us on the forums, in fact we are making it worse on the forums by talking about it all the time.

I don't share that opinion. With the topic being in the news literally every day, people are very much aware of it. What's worse: people now seem to associate the fires and explosions with all Samsung phones, not just the Note7. I've heard my students joke about that on more than one occasion. It'll remain a pain to use Note 7's on airplanes for months to come as well as there no visual difference between the dangerous models and the fixed ones. While this probably won't affect long-term sales for Samsung, this year is pretty much over for them and next year probably as well.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It sucks that this phone is officially labeled now. Its such an amazing device. I've never enjoyed a new phone more than the time I have spent with the Note 7. I haven't had any problems and mine never even gets warm while charging. It sucks for Samsung that this whole thing went down the way it did.

Well, it's not like this just happened by magic and Samsung's innocent here. It screwed up the manufacturing. The defect allows the plus and minus terminals to contact one another, causing a short circuit.

BTW, some people seem to have a view that if it hasn't exploded yet it won't ever. That may be true, but it may not be and there may be no way to tell. It has been pointed out that the phones did not explode immediately, but that as usage increased and charging kept getting done (and I recall some mentioning charging overnight or leaving it on a charger long after it was at full and stuff like that that many of us do) they were susceptible to wearing down and exposing the defect, if I can put it in a non-technie way.

I doubt it will be an issue. The general public don't pay much attention to this stuff. I've had to explain the recall to everyone, they didn't even know about it. This is a big deal to people like us on the forums, in fact we are making it worse on the forums by talking about it all the time.

I'd say it is a big deal, period. But just from a reputation point of view, every time someone walks onto a plane, they are going to hear an announcement about it. That is big-time marketing fail. Those who suggest the Note 7 should disappear and Samsung should get on with the 8 are right on the money. This phone is never going to recover and as long as it is out there, it is going to create confusion and bad marketing for Samsung, apart from whatever fires occur. The ripples will be endless, btw. Do you count on reselling your phone? Wonder what the aftermarket will be for a Note 7, recalled or fixed...

If people use common sense and don't let media decide for them there will be no stigma. The fact that this is a great device hasn't changed and my opinion is the same as the first day I got it. I will exchange when new phones are available and be on my merry way. It's sad that the media nowadays just beats news to death and spreads any story without verification. Fyi, no 6 year old was burned by a Note 7.

Gosh, the media is always such a great whipping boy. The media is not perfect and some stories might be wrong because "the media" consists of thousands of people and is not actually a monolith. But the media didn't make this up, did they?

Here's what Samsung's website says:

"Samsung has announced a voluntary recall and exchange program on certain Galaxy Note7 devices in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The affected devices were sold in the U.S. before September 15, 2016. Since the affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk, if you own a Galaxy Note7, it is extremely important to stop using your device, power it down and immediately exchange it using our U.S. Note7 Exchange Program. "

I'll tell you one thing that I suspect comes out of this and similar incidents. I bet in ten years, lith-ion batteries are history. They are too finicky, too susceptible to problems. People are already investigating alternatives.

Last edited:

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but I think the worst part about this stigma comes from people who aren't educated on the topic and don't realize it is ONE line of phones that are having g this issue. It's not ALL Samsung phones. I say "I have a 7Edge" and the response is "isn't that the one that's blowing up?"
And that's what it comes down to. We (the ones in the know) are the minority. The uneducated are the vast majority of people. They just see the sensationalized headlines and think that all Samsung phones are exploding. Nor do they understand why this is happening and what is being done to resolve the issue. Samsung as whole will for sure take a hit from this but will recover but I don't see the Note 7 coming back from this. I think the phone will always be on sale (until the new one comes out) but the marketing push won't be there. I see it quietly fading away.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It really does suck for them, and it's also too bad that this phone is now stigmatized as you say. Other manufacturers have had problems with their device line - even Apple did, and it seems like some people are too quick to forget this - and yet Samsung is now being dragged through the mud.

However, despite the stigma, Samsung can be applauded for how they are handling this debacle. Their customer service is top notch. So hopefully the naysayers will see this as Samsung continues to deliver excellent customer service and compensation for their customers.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Reading new and breaking news of explosion in New York and dunno what it is... Donald Trump tweeting like it's a bomb and other report saying maybe blown transformer. But latest tweet pops up...

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/777332910462337024

The stigma gonna stick a little while longer :-\
When the recall is done and the media stops reporting on it everyone will move on and forget about this. Americans live in the moment, not the past. And as this recall proves a lot don't live in the future either, no plans for a backup phone.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally I could care less...it's a good phone and I'm the one using it not everyone else...
That's my mentality. I think deep down the only ones that really care are the ones who paid full price for their phone and worried about resale value. Otherwise, who WOULD care what others think? It's your phone. If you like it, that's all that matters.

hblaze

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree. That's the most unfortunate part of all this. Samsung was in a roll after the S7 Edge and then the Note 7... To the point that people weren't even looking forward to the next iPhone. Horrible time for something like this to come along and derail the brand.

Awesome phone though. My favorite phone purchase in years.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's not like this just happened by magic and Samsung's innocent here. It screwed up the manufacturing. The defect allows the plus and minus terminals to contact one another, causing a short circuit.

BTW, some people seem to have a view that if it hasn't exploded yet it won't ever. That may be true, but it may not be and there may be no way to tell. It has been pointed out that the phones did not explode immediately, but that as usage increased and charging kept getting done (and I recall some mentioning charging overnight or leaving it on a charger long after it was at full and stuff like that that many of us do) they were susceptible to wearing down and exposing the defect, if I can put it in a non-technie way.

I'd say it is a big deal, period. But just from a reputation point of view, every time someone walks onto a plane, they are going to hear an announcement about it. That is big-time marketing fail. Those who suggest the Note 7 should disappear and Samsung should get on with the 8 are right on the money. This phone is never going to recover and as long as it is out there, it is going to create confusion and bad marketing for Samsung, apart from whatever fires occur. The ripples will be endless, btw. Do you count on reselling your phone? Wonder what the aftermarket will be for a Note 7, recalled or fixed...

Gosh, the media is always such a great whipping boy. The media is not perfect and some stories might be wrong because "the media" consists of thousands of people and is not actually a monolith. But the media didn't make this up, did they?

Here's what Samsung's website says:

"Samsung has announced a voluntary recall and exchange program on certain Galaxy Note7 devices in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The affected devices were sold in the U.S. before September 15, 2016. Since the affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk, if you own a Galaxy Note7, it is extremely important to stop using your device, power it down and immediately exchange it using our U.S. Note7 Exchange Program. "

I'll tell you one thing that I suspect comes out of this and similar incidents. I bet in ten years, lith-ion batteries are history. They are too finicky, too susceptible to problems. People are already investigating alternatives.
The only thing I will comment here is everyone better hope the new note 7 isn't banned. If it is, I can see Samsung suing over it. The government deemed the new phones safe. The FAA can't ban just the note 7 with them approved by the government. So if Samsung sues if the note 7 is singled out, and they should IMO, there could be a bad result such as ALL battery powered devices will be powered down while in plane.

All battery powered devices can go up in flames under normal use and the new note 7 is now approved and considered normal.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Wait till issues start popping up with the Iphone 7 most will forget the Note 7 fiasco and move onto that joke of a phone. Samsung will recover and so will we.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Honestly thats why no matter what the phone or product... I try not to be the first in line anymore... there's always some 1st run type issues that come out that's usually sorted out later.

Wait till issues start popping up with the Iphone 7 most will forget the Note 7 fiasco and move onto that joke of a phone. Samsung will recover and so will we.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol