09-22-2016 10:57 AM
117 ... 2345
tools
    Make sure you have flames wallpaper when you do.
    toenail_flicker and larry1014 like this.
    09-18-2016 11:05 AM
    I really liked the blue flames you had before. The blue made me think of a really dangerous fire like one from a lithium battery. Where did you find that?
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-18-2016 11:13 AM
    Another thing I'd like to add is that maybe we should be discussing the potential limitations and issues of current lithium battery tech due to this debacle. Seems like it hasn't been discussed all that much until recently.
    I mentioned that at the end of my prior post. I suspect lith-ion batteries will be going to the obsolete-tech dump in the sky over the next 10 years. There have simply been too many incidents too many times. People like to put their phones on the charger overnight without wondering whether they awaken to a smoke-filled home. Apparently, the main impediment is weight/size. The replacements are already here--they just are bigger and heavier. I suspect this problem will get solved and more people will be working on it.
    09-18-2016 11:38 AM
    I'm still buying one. I'm going to wait until around the Holidays though. Last year I got the "gifts of the season" promotion from Samsung and a $200 gift card from Best Buy. I'm hoping to score a similar deal this year.
    From A Buick 8 likes this.
    09-18-2016 11:48 AM
    Blue Bell ice cream is coming back as did Tylenol and other companies with product issues. Samsung is a very diverse company. This is a small dent in their overall picture. The number of reported explosions compared to the units sold is extremely low. Samsung did not have to trigger a recall. People did die from contaminated ice cream before they were forced to recall the product.
    dlgus and msndrstood like this.
    09-18-2016 01:53 PM
    To be clear, I'm a Note 7 owner and love the phone. It's the best phone on the market right now... But owners can't really brag of that fact because virtually no one cares how good the phone is right now, except Note owners. There are 0 iPhone owners jealous of the Note 7 right now... whereas it was the phone to beat just a few weeks ago. That is what I mean by the brand being tarnished.
    I see what you're saying. The brand is definitely suffering from this (and I am a Samsung fan, so I am in no way enjoying writing that statement). But Samsung has enough money, customers, and units sold (of any bad all iterations currently out there: Rogers still had the S4 for sale long after its initial release) to turn this situation around. Until then, yes, it's an unfortunate happenstance but they are being branded negatively at the moment.
    09-19-2016 10:08 AM
    The Unavoidable stigma...-note7.jpg
    thefriz151 likes this.
    09-19-2016 11:03 AM
    There are 2 "stigma" that I am concerned about.

1- will it be difficult flying with a note 7 in the future since they will be no reliable way for an airline to quickly identify a replaced phone vs one of the old ones that have the battery issue. They may have to assume that all Note 7s can potentially have this issue.

2- it seems to me that for the reason stated above with Airlines, the resale value of the phone could be affected as there might be people that won't believe that the phone is a replaced phone even if you show them the Samsung database with the clean bill of health for your particular Mac address.

Having said all of that, I'm still going to replace my Note 7 as soon as the new ones are available. I already have my 256 gigabyte card and my new phone will have 320 gigabytes of storage. 10 times the amount of my Galaxy S6 and 5 times the amount of the new iPhone
    Morty2264 and monsieurms like this.
    09-19-2016 03:31 PM
    09-19-2016 08:17 PM
    There are 2 "stigma" that I am concerned about.

1- will it be difficult flying with a note 7 in the future since they will be no reliable way for an airline to quickly identify a replaced phone vs one of the old ones that have the battery issue. They may have to assume that all Note 7s can potentially have this issue.

2- it seems to me that for the reason stated above with Airlines, the resale value of the phone could be affected as there might be people that won't believe that the phone is a replaced phone even if you show them the Samsung database with the clean bill of health for your particular Mac address.

Having said all of that, I'm still going to replace my Note 7 as soon as the new ones are available. I already have my 256 gigabyte card and my new phone will have 320 gigabytes of storage. 10 times the amount of my Galaxy S6 and 5 times the amount of the new iPhone
    You bring up two very valid and significant points, especially with point #1.
    09-20-2016 02:57 PM
    I'd buy it.
    Love it!
    WalkingHorse likes this.
    09-20-2016 05:17 PM
    I mentioned that at the end of my prior post. I suspect lith-ion batteries will be going to the obsolete-tech dump in the sky over the next 10 years. There have simply been too many incidents too many times. People like to put their phones on the charger overnight without wondering whether they awaken to a smoke-filled home. Apparently, the main impediment is weight/size. The replacements are already here--they just are bigger and heavier. I suspect this problem will get solved and more people will be working on it.
    Did you or anyone read a really interesting report about the exact cause of the battery fires? Apparently, the battery was just a tad too large for the battery compartment, putting physical pressure on the battery. I haven't read that one before.
    09-20-2016 05:44 PM
    What people? I agree that most people don't know or care, aside from those of us who have one/want one, need to replace one.
    Everyone around me. Those who previously considered buying a Note 7 had given up and looking at other phones. Those who never wanted a Note 7, we are a laughing stock to them. I love my Note 7 and I dun care, but that's the truth that's happening around me.
    09-20-2016 06:27 PM
    The OP title sounds like what U2 would give for an album.

Besides, I think it shows toughness. Don't mess with meeee! I have a Note 7!!! Don't make me bust a cell!!!!!
    'dont MAKE me bust a CELL on yo @$$!!!'

LOVE it!
    09-20-2016 07:20 PM
    Did you or anyone read a really interesting report about the exact cause of the battery fires? Apparently, the battery was just a tad too large for the battery compartment, putting physical pressure on the battery. I haven't read that one before.
    Yes, and causing gradual deterioration.

But this isn't the first or last lith ion issue. They've caused too many problems too often. When you can't even mail them without stickers warning about the contents, or check them in luggage--eventually, there needs to be another solution. From what I hear, people are already hard at work on that.
    09-21-2016 09:56 AM
    This whole stigma thing is overblown. Cars get recalled all the time and everyone goes on with their day. GM had major recalls bordering on scandals and they are fine. This phone issue is a big deal on Reddit, in forums and with tech bloggers.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-21-2016 10:02 AM
    Don't worry. By January it'll be history most likely.
    Yup it will
    Just like Bendgate with the iPhone, or overheating issues with the HTC M8....it will all be forgotten
    09-21-2016 10:14 AM
    Unless batteries start catching on fire again, I think this will all blow over. It is a great phone.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-21-2016 10:22 AM
    This whole stigma thing is overblown. Cars get recalled all the time and everyone goes on with their day. GM had major recalls bordering on scandals and they are fine. This phone issue is a big deal on Reddit, in forums and with tech bloggers.
    People in my life generally know I like phones. I've had 100% tech illiterate people ask me about the note 7 issue. It's not a "big deal" to them like it is to us, i.e. they aren't going to post online about it. But they also aren't going to pick one up when its time for a new phone and sure as hell wont seek one out used to buy.

I am still willing to wager a guess that a huge portion of Samsung's "Note 7 support budget" for security updates and OS updates has been re-allocated to this >$1B problem. I wouldn't be surprised if support for the Note 7 was dropped as soon as Samsung releases the Note 8, at which point the Note 7 wont even be a year old. Hopefully it gets Nougat before then.

When 1MM orders in the first month becomes 200k exchanges (or pick a number of your choosing, well under 1 MM), they will reallocate internal resources to other places.
    09-21-2016 10:30 AM
    It sucks that this phone is officially labeled now. Its such an amazing device. I've never enjoyed a new phone more than the time I have spent with the Note 7. I haven't had any problems and mine never even gets warm while charging. It sucks for Samsung that this whole thing went down the way it did.
    I know they say they fixed the problem by using different batteries but I'm worried it's a design flaw. Replacing the battery would only be a temporary fix right?
    09-21-2016 02:57 PM
    I know they say they fixed the problem by using different batteries but I'm worried it's a design flaw. Replacing the battery would only be a temporary fix right?
    No? The flaw was within the batteries which caused them to explode -- not the design of the phone. Replacing the battery with one that doesn't have that defect in it fixed the issue. That is why everyone is going for replacements if they're staying with the Note 7.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-21-2016 02:58 PM
    No, that is not right. It is not useful to throw around baseless speculation, without any foundation of fact.
    09-21-2016 05:49 PM
    Uh... about Blue Bell...

Blue Bell recalls cookie dough ice cream over listeria concerns - Sep. 21, 2016

Blue Bell ice cream is coming back as did Tylenol and other companies with product issues. Samsung is a very diverse company. This is a small dent in their overall picture. The number of reported explosions compared to the units sold is extremely low. Samsung did not have to trigger a recall. People did die from contaminated ice cream before they were forced to recall the product.
    09-21-2016 09:29 PM
    There is no more stigma regarding being able to tell if your Note 7 is a bad one. The good ones have a green battery icon. Anyway, I took my Note 7 on a flight just a few days ago and the plane gave the standard notification, but that was it. No one looked or even noticed I had the Note 7 in my bag. I was using a GS7edge and I am sure if I was using the Note 7, no one would have noticed. So frankly - the fear of flying with Note 7 is overrated.

Now that I have my "new" Note 7, I hold onto it like a badge of honor.

By the way, if you're gonna first worry about the battery and then now worry that it's a design flaw, then you will probably never feel comfortable with the Note 7. Wait for the Note 8 and hope it doesn't have a flaw or go to another brand. No point in worrying every day about a phone you paid so much money for!
    shaleem and Weils like this.
    09-21-2016 09:37 PM
    Thing is, in Texas, people LOVE their blue bell. When it was out of the stores last year, people were counting the days for it to come back. I am sure they will survive this, to many people there is nothing else like blue Bell.

Samsung for sure has fans like that, not sure how far that extends though. Will be interesting to see, hope they do!
    mmsean and WalkingHorse like this.
    09-22-2016 06:35 AM
117 ... 2345