What is a deal breaker Note 7 issue to you?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
What is the one deal breaker issue of the Note 7 to you? An issue that stopped you buying the Note 7 or if you could get your money back (such as with the recall) you would do so and find another device.

My one bug bear is all the random reports of poor performance with lag and stutter. Coming from a Galaxy S5 that runs really smoothly and loads apps quickly, I would be dismayed to buy the Note 7 and it potentially not be any faster than my S5 and possibly be even slower than what I have.

Fast, smooth performance with no lag or stutter is the main reason I buy a flagship phone. I absolutely despise a slow, lagging phone. I use my phone a lot and even though it's just for all the common stuff like email, texting, web browsing etc, I will gladly pay the premium for a high performing phone that stays the same years after, (so far this is the case).

I just couldn't risk spending all that money and having a phone at best no faster than my S5 and at worst, slower. That is my deal breaker. I could be wowed by the iris scanner, camera, quad HD screen etc, but if there was performance issues, I would regret my purchase instantly.

What is yours?

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I went from buying the Note7 on day one, to returning it due to the recall for a 7Edge, didn't like that at all.

Had no clue when the new Note7's would be out (before the official announcement on Thursday), and really was sick of the whole situation, so I picked up a new Note4 from eBay and am going to use that for at least a year. Returning the 7Edge today and getting a SIM card for the Note4.

I'm updating the Note4 as far as the latest 5.1.1 updates now and will do the OTA to MM after I'm officially on the network.

For me, being just a personal device (I have a iPhone 6S+ for work), I wanted the Note experience and can live with the differences between the two. I don't care about IP78, iris scanning, and the differences in the note features. The Note4 is a perfect size and no edges, which I prefer.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Signal reception mainly bugs me. Weaker than the Iphone, MXPE, Droid Maxx, DNA and even the Note 4. Still luv the device, but seems Samsung has gone the wrong direction there.

I had the opportunity to compare them all in same areas side by side with my family since day one of Note 7 release.

The curve bugs me some too, but that makes the device more one hand friendly.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Signal reception bugs me. Weaker than the Iphone, MXPE and even the Note 4. Still luv the device, but seems Samsung has gone the wrong direction there.

I had the opportunity to compare them all in same areas side by side since day one of Note 7 release.

Gosh, I didn't even think of that. I assumed all expensive phones would have good signal. After all, signal is the core component of a mobile phone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I actually just edited and added more devices. The reception issue is why I wanted to try the V20 out, since it apparently might have the best reception of any device this year.

Probably will be released too late though for me to hand off from Note 7 during recall campaign. The Note 7 is about 5 to 10 dBm weaker than any of the above devices from my own personal experience.

Hoping the replacement is different, but that is whimsical on my part since not likely.

Added: Logical assumption on your part. Ignorance is bliss though if in good signal areas. Catch is the Note 7 has more weak signal areas than other devices I have used or compared.

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
For me the deal breaker is the fact I haven't been able to buy 1 for the last 2 weeks and it's looking like another week or two before I will be able to. I would have bought an iPhone 7 plus, but they aren't in stock either and most likely won't be until the iPhone 8 plus is released.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
At this point for me, it's pricing. I was promised something, have proof, and Sprint isn't honoring it. So I'm going to let them have mine back, whether just for now or the foreseeable future. I may get one when prices come down and there haven't been any issues, or I may grab the N8 when it comes out. If the N8 comes out without a headset jack then I'll grab the N7.

Last edited:

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
deal breaker for me was weak signal! pre-ordered, that device barely pulled 2 bars. initiated an exchange (the day before the recall announcement). that device too could not get a strong signal. got a refund for it under the recall. I'm assuming the weak signal was the cause of dismal battery life. am back on note5, and full signal:)

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
deal breaker for me was weak signal! pre-ordered, that device barely pulled 2 bars. initiated an exchange (the day before the recall announcement). that device too could not get a strong signal. got a refund for it under the recall. I'm assuming the weak signal was the cause of dismal battery life. am back on note5, and full signal:)

That's a bummer about signal, my number one *must have* in choosing a phone. Hopefully an update will fix that problem.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The battery issue to me is a non issue. You hand the phone in, get a new one with a safe battery and problem solved. But if I was looking to buy the Note 7 afresh, I personally would skip it. Just too many random reports of lag and stutter, weak signal etc, poor battery life etc.

When people have already committed to it is one thing, and I wish everyone well who has invested in it, and that their particular units are all good. Someone like me who has perused these forums and read too many posts of first hand experience with all these issues just thinks to give it a miss.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What would be nice when watching youtube videos is if they could run a signal app and compare with different phones they may have at same time. Of course signal differs for people in different locations and carriers but a test like that would be informative.

Weak signal is not nessasarly the phone but more likely the way the carrier programned signals

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The battery issue to me is a non issue. You hand the phone in, get a new one with a safe battery and problem solved. But if I was looking to buy the Note 7 afresh, I personally would skip it. Just too many random reports of lag and stutter, weak signal etc, poor battery life etc.

When people have already committed to it is one thing, and I wish everyone well who has invested in it, and that their particular units are all good. Someone like me who has perused these forums and read too many posts of first hand experience with all these issues just thinks to give it a miss.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still getting the Note 7, my first 7.

These forums are big on problems. Hardly any positives. But that's just a minority of the population.

The positives of the Note 7 out weigh the negatives for me.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
What would be nice when watching youtube videos is if they could run a signal app and compare with different phones they may have at same time. Of course signal differs for people in different locations and carriers but a test like that would be informative.
There is a lot of ajustment to this phone that is locked down
50a21423aa355e966b32ba67fd92b2fb.jpg
2a928061d3597ebc13a89e021101081f.jpg
42b7b0e879df489470acb88a97554d42.jpg

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still getting the Note 7, my first 7.

These forums are big on problems. Hardly any positives. But that's just a minority of the population.

The positives of the Note 7 out weigh the negatives for me.
With the recall there has been a overload of negativity! hopefully after that ,we can get back to other subjects

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Android Headlines is one of the few that considers signal sometimes in reviews. The V20 impressed them more than any current device.

Android Headlines said nothing good or bad about the Note 7.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had every S series phone since the 4, and I also had the Note 7. I will say, there's no comparison between the S5 and Note 7. Maybe I just got a good unit but it had amazing battery life and no lag. Hopefully my next unit is just as good.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Signal reception mainly bugs me. Weaker than the Iphone, MXPE, Droid Maxx, DNA and even the Note 4. Still luv the device, but seems Samsung has gone the wrong direction there.

I had the opportunity to compare them all in same areas side by side with my family since day one of Note 7 release.

The curve bugs me some too, but that makes the device more one hand friendly.
I've had weak reception on the Note 7 too. But I just assumed that was T-Mobile's coverage.

Ever since I switched to my old 2014 Moto X the issues have been alleviated.

For example, on my drive to see my gf on the weekends, on my Note 7 I would lose signal around 3 or 4 certain areas. Ever since switching to my Moto X those problem areas are only 1.

With that being said though, I'll assume on a good network like ATT or Verizon, these issues would be non existent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanthan23