Recall-What Visual/Branding Changes In New Note 7 Coming Out-Airlines/Customers Know Which Is Which

123spongebob123

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Spoke with Samsung about New Replacements coming out. They said on or before September 21st will be in stores. I asked what cosmetic or branding differences are there to tell the difference between exploding ones and the new "safe" phones. I explained that I travel and if I am boarding plane they see a Note 7 how will they know it is the "safe replacement" one. He said Samsung will be announcing to airlines that phones are safe to fly now. Explained if I was airline they would need to see cosmetic or some branding on the new phone showing something like Note 7 "S" branded to differentiate having a safe phone to get on board. He never committed stating any cosmetic differences!
Wow- I said if they do not allow me on board, I do not want to have the decision of not flying or leaving a $1000 phone back.
Can anyone confirm that there will be a visual branding to distinguish the good from the bad????
If not what are they thinking?

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
there is not going to be any immediate noticeable difference. There are reports that there will be a "Green Battery Indicator" on the new notes to indicate they are the safe devices, but it's not clear if it will be world wide or for certain regions.

Other than taking a picture of the new packaging that WILL indicate it's a safe device by an "S" sticker and a small black square on the same label as the IMEI of the device, there is no immediate indication of it. You could take a picture of the IMEI on the box with this indications and show them on the phone with the IMEI at the time of boarding, Kind of a hassle if you ask me, but its something.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Well Samsung has lost its rocker. This is a legit issue that needs answered for many of us that fly frequently.

I'm not that in love with a phone that I'm willing to put up with TSA bs when I fly.

Until they can answer this, or until FAA dials back their Note 7 stance, I'm not touching the phone.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree.

There definitely has to be something distinctive to tell the the TSA people or Flight attendants this is the new Note 7.

Let say you just happen to get a Captain or Flight Attendant that is tech savvy and knows cell phones. They see your note 7 they will say nope not allowed on the plane. What they say goes on an airplane so yo have to listen to them.

Now maybe its possible FAA will loosen up their rules on the Note 7. That has yet to be seen.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This is what I've been saying. It was so bad you had recall millions of phones why the heck would not just add a stamp to the back under the glass to show it's the N7S or N7.1. It can't cost that much more to do that. Unless they have already shipped out hundreds of thousand phones to providers with no physical change trying to bypass the official recall process.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
A stamp would wear off, or rub off, so it wouldn't be a good solution.

Not to mwntion that most of us use cases, which could cover the stamp.

My guess is some time next month, all recalled devices will be bricked/disabled, once an adequate amount of time for people to swap had passed

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The FAA never came out with an all out ban. The phones can be taken on the aircraft. Currently, they are not allowed to be turned on or charged on board or placed in checked luggage by some airlines.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
The FAA never came out with an all out ban. The phones can be taken on the aircraft. Currently, they are not allowed to be turned on or charged on board or placed in checked luggage by some airlines.

Thank u for posting this! I think a lot of people don't realize you can take them onto the plane, u just can't power on/charge/use them during flight.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Well this is not exactly true:

According to FAA rules: "Any product that has been officially recalled by the US gov is NOT allowed on any plane. In cabin or checked luggage.

So as the FAA never came out and made a statement about the Note 7 ban if you go by the rules alone it is banned.

This information is posted on the front page of Android Central

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Not to mwntion that most of us use cases, which could cover the stamp.

My guess is some time next month, all recalled devices will be bricked/disabled, once an adequate amount of time for people to swap had passed
You people are making a lot of assumptions here, a lot; and this is all just wishful thinking on your part. Given that the recall is voluntary outside the US, Samsung cannot and will not intentionally brick phones.

Easiest solution would've been a cosmetic difference/rebrand.

But hey we can all keep making more assumptions here to defend Samsung's stupid decisions.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The problem is, the is no safe Note 7. They will all be considered suspect until proven differently.

I would think almost all are okay from an actual device standpoint, based on the production problem that was published. If referring to perception- Yep, you are probably correct.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Treat all defective IMEIs as stolen devices and collaborate with GSMA and the carriers to deny service to affected phones, starting with the US. As a side benefit this will also effectively kill any second-hand market for defective devices as I'm sure there are some unscrupulous people out there who will try to make a buck off the ones they have. The international phones will still have an issue but the majority of shipments prior to 9/2 only went to China (which doesn't have a recall since they're using different batteries) and the USA.

After this I'm sure the FAA would relax the rules against the N7.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
China is having phones recalled now too.
The international phones will still have an issue but the majority of shipments prior to 9/2 only went to China (which doesn't have a recall since they're using different batteries) and the USA.

After this I'm sure the FAA would relax the rules against the N7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34