09-20-2016 07:51 PM
78 1234
tools
    I believe that I got an update from Sprint this afternoon. However, I'll have to admit that my phone is acting strange, because my phone suddenly drained down to 3% and it cut off. I then plugged the phone into charge and it went to 100% in less than an hour.

And just a few minutes ago, it did the same thing. Back down to 2% and now charging. Just five minutes in and is back to 25%.

Going to try to boot into recovery and wipe cache and rebounds to see what happens.
    The crazy thing is that up until today's update, I haven't had no issue.

It reminds me when my Note 5 when crazy trying to install and update the Gear VR software. The wireless charging would start and stop without it being near the puck or plugged in.

The only problem was that I didn't have the Gear VR. Had to get that replaced. Never dropped the phone
    09-19-2016 06:24 PM
    Ok, my explosive Note 7 seems just fine after this update. The battery charges up to 100% and does not seem to deplete any faster then before.
    The fast charging does seem a little slower and I get that annoying safety popup warning every time I plug in a charger or put it on the wireless charging stand.
    You have to hit OK before it will start charging.
    09-19-2016 06:29 PM
    Carlo, you have the replacement or original phone?

This update is very slow installing.

If your phone did not blow up before it just might while getting this update. This is the hottest I've ever felt this phone.

Hope this does not brick my phone.
    If I decide to do this I'll standby with a fire extinguisher; I'm not kidding. It'd make a very compelling story on Exchange Day. Thank you for the heads-up.
    EMGSM and Carlo Villa like this.
    09-19-2016 06:41 PM
    You may not know. It could have changed the charge amount to 60%=100%, so even though the display shows 100% it would only really be 60%. I guess you'll find out by how fast it drains.
    This. Still would not be surprised if also a more subtle charge reduction is done for all. Not saying thinking will happen for sure, but not surprised if it were to.
    09-19-2016 08:35 PM
    I really wish they wouldn't let users have a choice and just gimp the phones automatically. Why would anybody not want to comply with the recall? For something that may pose a risk of injury or property damage Samsung and the Feds need to be heavy-handed and should treat all defective IMEIs as stolen phones. People have had two weeks to return their phones for refunds or exchange them for loaners while they wait for the replacement so no excuses, especially now that the replacements are coming within the next few days.

Hell people even had an incentive to return their old phones and get a loaner as there is a promotion for a free Gear VR or 256GB card if you bought a S7 or S7E. The exchange process is essentially a return/re-purchase so you would get approved.
    Yep, Gment intervention FTW! Not really
    09-19-2016 08:42 PM
    Why would anybody not want to comply with the recall? For something that may pose a risk of injury or property damage Samsung and the Feds need to be heavy-handed and should treat all defective IMEIs as stolen phones. People have had two weeks to return their phones for refunds or exchange them for loaners while they wait for the replacement so no excuses, especially now that the replacements are coming within the next few days.
    Oh yeah? I bought mine from Samsung.com - tell me what the procedure is to return it or get it replaced...
    09-19-2016 09:27 PM
    Is there anyone with the new note 7 that did the update that can show a picture of the green battery.
    09-19-2016 10:19 PM
    Oh yeah? I bought mine from Samsung.com - tell me what the procedure is to return it or get it replaced...
    A return/refund system was set up after the voluntary recall was first announc ed. That would've been the best time to return it. As such people waited, shippers like UPS and FedEx refuse to ship because of safety concerns, and you're screwed. You need to go to you carrier, show the official Samsung policy, and get your exchange. Time has probably passes to get your refund. Since this is an official recall now I think the carriers must honor an exchange for a phone not purchased from them.
    09-19-2016 10:38 PM
    I got green
    Attached Thumbnails Has anyone done the update that is still using the old note 7?-1632.jpg  
    KoukiFC3S and lizardchest like this.
    09-19-2016 11:22 PM
    New message or did you get the similar one last week? Also, not going to ask why you're looking at pictures of Farrah Fawcett (?) hehe
    LOL

This is the new message I get since the latest update. I did not get it prior to yesterday.

I am a huge Farrah Fawcett fan, I was writing an article on FB about Farrah and the 1978 Academy Awards where she presented the Oscar for best film editing to Star Wars 😚

09-20-2016 05:16 AM
    I really wish they wouldn't let users have a choice and just gimp the phones automatically. Why would anybody not want to comply with the recall? For something that may pose a risk of injury or property damage Samsung and the Feds need to be heavy-handed and should treat all defective IMEIs as stolen phones. People have had two weeks to return their phones for refunds or exchange them for loaners while they wait for the replacement so no excuses, especially now that the replacements are coming within the next few days.

Hell people even had an incentive to return their old phones and get a loaner as there is a promotion for a free Gear VR or 256GB card if you bought a S7 or S7E. The exchange process is essentially a return/re-purchase so you would get approved.
    It's not that easy. Samsung.com is offering no options for return or exchange at the moment for people who purchased there. No loaners, no information.
    09-20-2016 05:27 AM
    A return/refund system was set up after the voluntary recall was first announc ed. That would've been the best time to return it. As such people waited, shippers like UPS and FedEx refuse to ship because of safety concerns, and you're screwed. You need to go to you carrier, show the official Samsung policy, and get your exchange. Time has probably passes to get your refund. Since this is an official recall now I think the carriers must honor an exchange for a phone not purchased from them.
    Wrong. Samsung.com customers can do nothing. I can't go to my carrier and my retailer is offering no options.
    09-20-2016 05:28 AM
    I updated my phone with the old note 7 phone was hot during the loading process I just let it do its thing. Now I get pop ups telling me to replace my phone every few hours or so lol. Oh and no 60% max charge either. P
    09-20-2016 05:38 AM
    I havent done the update but now i have the stupid update icon on my status bar and if you click to update later it automatically jumps to select a time to update can no longer remove the icon 😠
    Stupid Verizon needs to just release the phones so I can swap it out.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-20-2016 06:57 AM
    Ok, my explosive Note 7 seems just fine after this update. The battery charges up to 100% and does not seem to deplete any faster then before.
    The fast charging does seem a little slower and I get that annoying safety popup warning every time I plug in a charger or put it on the wireless charging stand.
    You have to hit OK before it will start charging.
    Thank you for your play by play.
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    09-20-2016 07:08 AM

You act as though this process has been consistent and clear. Verizon, for example, has been a muddled mess. People post on here all the time with the conflicting things they have been told, whether that be from the store, online chat, or phone support. I'm not going through all that hassle of exchanging for another type of phone, getting it all set up, coming back to exchange it for a Note 7, and then having to fight with them to keep their word and exchange me for the Note 7. Oh, and my bill. That's another nightmare. Bet even if everything went as planned, I'd get a messed up bill a few weeks later, showing that I owe $800 or some nonsense like that. Verizon had better have the new damn Note 7's tomorrow for exchange, or this is all going to get very ugly... Especially now that they forced this neutered update on us all
    Nostromo79 and jn3wman like this.
    09-20-2016 07:18 AM
    Hahaha... I called Samsung as soon as they announced the "voluntary" recall. I didn't wait. I STILL have not received my return shipping label they told me they were sending. I didn't purchase the device from a Carrier, and was not able to return it to a Carrier.

The process we were originally told for returning our phone, that was purchased at Samsung.com, was to contact them at the number given. Their "e-commerce team" was supposed to handle it - but never actually did anything.
    09-20-2016 07:44 AM
    Happily did the update this AM.
    No issues, no worries.

As others have said a million times, it's frustrating to be told (right on your phone!) to return/exchange it when there's absolutely no way Samsung, Verizon or Sam's Club will assist, as of today. I have been in extensive contact with all 3, and there's no way to affect a change now.

Tomorrow the 21st? Maybe.
    We'll see.
    09-20-2016 07:47 AM
    You act as though this process has been consistent and clear. Verizon, for example, has been a muddled mess. People post on here all the time with the conflicting things they have been told, whether that be from the store, online chat, or phone support. I'm not going through all that hassle of exchanging for another type of phone, getting it all set up, coming back to exchange it for a Note 7, and then having to fight with them to keep their word and exchange me for the Note 7. Oh, and my bill. That's another nightmare. Bet even if everything went as planned, I'd get a messed up bill a few weeks later, showing that I owe $800 or some nonsense like that. Verizon had better have the new damn Note 7's tomorrow for exchange, or this is all going to get very ugly... Especially now that they forced this neutered update on us all
    I'm with you my friend. Now we're pretty much at the mercy of Verizon after this BS update. I figured it wouldn't be too long before they rolled some kind of update out which pretty much forces any stubborn folks, like myself, to do the exchange. The only issue now is that all the Verizon stores in my area are claiming they still don't have the phones in stock, which is ridiculous in my opinion. They're almost acting as if this is a new phone release altogether.
    09-20-2016 07:56 AM
    i did the update and now i have an unlocked padlock when i boot up...great
    09-20-2016 08:41 AM
    No, it's not greyed out. The fast charging does seem slower now with this new update.
    Well if you get the new Note 7 you shouldn't have this problem with the charging. These updates can mess your phone up. One thing I don't like about these updates is they cause the phone to get really hot.
    09-20-2016 09:01 AM
    I'm seriously thinking of not downloading this update on my phone. Verizon will still swap it out I assume. Once Samsung gets them their going to refurbish them anyway and if their not updated they'll do that.
    09-20-2016 09:09 AM
    I'm seriously thinking of not downloading this update on my phone. Verizon will still swap it out I assume. Once Samsung gets them their going to refurbish them anyway and if their not updated they'll do that.
    Good luck with that. I planned to do the same, but this is a forced update. Best you can do is select another time later today for the update to install.
    09-20-2016 09:13 AM
    Apparently, the update is mandatory.

I'm not sure how it works, but I assume that it installs itself after some time.
    09-20-2016 10:04 AM
    Good Lord, people!!! If you're going to do the update, put the phone in the refrigerator...

ok..<edit> since it's apparently a forced update, you could put it in the refrigerator and cue the update yourself! (better than it doing it on it's own when you might not be paying attention, I suppose...)

I just went to settings/system updates, and moved the time to 11:59 AM, pushing it out to tomorrow. (I've now pushed it out twice so far...) Then, tomorrow morning, I'll push it to 11:59 PM, then tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to push it out to 11:59 AM again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat...

Hopefully I can buy a few days this way???

SUPPOSEDLY, my new GN7 is on order, SUPPOSEDLY shipping today to my local store. (I have an order # from Verizon/email confirmation.)

Then I will gladly turn in my beloved exploding kitten for a new, safe one!

I wonder how many phones the update will toast???
    09-20-2016 05:32 PM
78 1234