infamous Jeep explosion explosion story - Note not cause...

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am not saying there has not been any battery issues with the Note 7, but once word got out the phone became a target for any negative situation anyone wanted to present. I don't believe half the stories.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I had this figured out 5 minutes after the original article was posted. This and the fireman with the garage fire.
Morons on a cash grab. :-\

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Separate the media hype from the actual issue. Samsung first issued the world-wide recall before any of the massive media coverage... it was the recall announcement that thrust the story from the buzz around tech blogs to making headlines on CNN, Fox, etc.

Before all this mess, Samsung still did their initial investigation and came to the conclusion that all of the Note 7s with Samsung SDI-sourced batteries were vulnerable to a rather catastrophic failure. They wouldn't have taken that drastic a measure unless there was a valid and pervasive threat. Sure, the media may have overreacted, that's par for the course, but that doesn't change the seriousness of the original issue.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
No one can definitively say whether the Note 7 was the cause, or not. As usual, the media proves that it is more interested in putting something sensational out there in order to make money because, after all, that is the most important thing in this world. The days when stories were actually investigated before putting them out there are gone. Unfortunately.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
From the article...

I don't know if you could "definitively" state "- Note not cause...".
Well do you know that the Jeep Cherokee has been recalled for catching on fire also? Something with leak from fuel tank.

Last edited:

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Separate the media hype from the actual issue. Samsung first issued the world-wide recall before any of the massive media coverage... it was the recall announcement that thrust the story from the buzz around tech blogs to making headlines on CNN, Fox, etc.

Before all this mess, Samsung still did their initial investigation and came to the conclusion that all of the Note 7s with Samsung SDI-sourced batteries were vulnerable to a rather catastrophic failure. They wouldn't have taken that drastic a measure unless there was a valid and pervasive threat. Sure, the media may have overreacted, that's par for the course, but that doesn't change the seriousness of the original issue.

Absolutely, and for the record - if the company, from which you purchased a product, goes out of their way to recall a product, you should absolutely listen. What I'm saying is that there's this absurd bubble of misinformation out there and it's generated by two very distinct groups:

• Entitled buttholes who want something for nothing and looked to capitalize on a companies earnest attempt to rectify a very real problem
  • The media, who would like for you to ignore everything they want you to ignore (like for example, we sit at the precipice of an unprecedented election where both sides have to campaign on a "I'm the lesser of the evils," because both candidates are such irreperable disgusting, lying sacks of crap.

I"m not blind or stupid, I have no doubt there's a problem with the batteries and the safety concern raised an eyebrow that someone looked at the potential liability of the issue and said "recall is cheaper." When a company is willing to spend a billion dollars because they thing the impact of not spending a billion dollars is bigger than the billion dollars - you'd be stupid not to listen.

That said, I'm still swapping out my phone - because Samsung told me to, not because of some hyperbolic media circus about a fairytale that's meant to distract you from what's actually happening in the world.

/tinfoil hat - off

wgs84

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am not saying there has not been any battery issues with the Note 7, but once word got out the phone became a target for any negative situation anyone wanted to present. I don't believe half the stories.

Same here. Reminds me of the Toyota sudden acceleration recall from a few years back. After that one initial report of that one Lexus accelerating out of control (which an investigation later revealed that the accelerator got stuck under some floor mats designed for another car), an explosion of reports started pouring in from people claiming that their Toyotas were "accelerating by themselves". The DOT investigation eventually concluded that most people were just mistaking the gas for the brake pedal, while others had their gas pedal stuck underneath some ill-fitted floor mats. Not saying that the Note7 doesn't have a battery issue, and I'm not saying that there aren't cases of the phones actually igniting, but I am saying that when investigators do their due diligence and investigate these reports, a whole lot of them are going to find that something else besides the phone was the cause. I seriously believe that some of these reports are just by litigious sue-happy morons or insurance scammers.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well do you know that the Jeep Cherokee has been recalled for catching on fire also? Something with leak from fuel tank.
I'm just going by what the article says. Just because it was "undetermined" doesn't mean the Note 7 "wasn't" the cause. Reporting this... "-Note not cause", when the article clearly states this...

While it’s still possible that the Galaxy Note 7 was to blame for the car catching fire, the investigators were unable to discover a clear link.

... is just as bad as bad media reports.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The same goes for the man who worked at Costco and says the Note 7 exploded in his pocket a week after Samsung issued the recall. He claims he didn't know of the recall but he was tweeting about the recall on his Twitter account on September 2nd.

After it was found that he tweeted about it he deleted the tweets from his Twitter account lol. To top it off he also works at a cell phone store for a 2nd job. Just another guy looking to become rich quick.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Poor Samsung. So not cool for people to jump the bandwagon, now in China they are doing the same. Losers. Lying never gets anyone anything. Shady jeep guy.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Poor Samsung. So not cool for people to jump the bandwagon, now in China they are doing the same. Losers. Lying never gets anyone anything. Shady jeep guy.

We also apparently have Garage Guy and Front Pocket Guy now. Both appear dubious, but the media latched on them hard and fast. Even some posters appeared to use the Jeep as a meme that came across more as propaganda.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Exactly, the media would never make such a huge fiasco over apple issues as this stuff. New iPhonemakes a hissing noise how come people aren't all over that topic. Pure biased.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The hissing noise is all over the internet... already termed "Hissgate". Media won't cover it as much as the Note 7 because no iPhones caught fire. Big difference, fire and hissing. If enough iPhones have hissgate, and there's a recall, Apple will be in the same boat as Samsung. For certain, if my phone made a hissing sound, I wouldn't stand for it and would want a replacement. Time will tell.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: St. Petersburg Fire Rescue finds no link between Galaxy Note 7 and Jeep explosion !

Did you read it? They couldn't conclusively determine, even the writer of the article said to heat could have caused the battery to swell which would have still caused the fire, and this is a pro Samsung site.

I love how people are STILL 2ND guessing the experts...THEY can't say for sure, and they EXAMINED the car, but naturally the media knows better.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The hissing noise is all over the internet... already termed "Hissgate". Media won't cover it as much as the Note 7 because no iPhones caught fire. Big difference, fire and hissing. If enough iPhones have hissgate, and there's a recall, Apple will be in the same boat as Samsung. For certain, if my phone made a hissing sound, I wouldn't stand for it and would want a replacement. Time will tell.

Unless the the iPhone goes Terminator and pulls out an Uuzzeee niiine milluumeetuh, the media and Gment ain't saying nuthin'. :) ;) Apple is tight with those peeps. Only halfway joking.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Unless the the iPhone goes Terminator and pulls out an Uuzzeee niiine milluumeetuh, the media and Gment ain't saying nuthin'. :) ;) Apple is tight with those peeps. Only halfway joking.
The hissing is Steve Jobs telling you that you are holding your phone the wrong way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21