12-23-2016 10:13 AM
155 12345 ...
tools
    It's the new hotness, and it's drama free. And a lot of these people are phone jumpers anyway. They'll likely be giving the S8 and Note 8 a look in just a few months.

The iPhone 7 is a "get me over" phone. Get me over to March when the new hotness arrives or get me over to next year's iPhone which is suppose to be the real deal.
    There is one very good thing about this Note 7 fiasco. As you indicated and as per the rumours, iPhone 7 is a stop gap till iPhone 8-their 10th anniversary model. Apparently iPhone will go out on this model. By the time this happens, the Note 7 fiasco will have been forgotten and Samsung will have learnt their lesson and do the Note 8 right.

If you are going to stuff up a Note series, much better to do it with an iPhone model that is not spectacular rather than their 10th anniversary model which is likely to be special.
    09-20-2016 05:22 PM
    Um, OK I guess THAT is why all this happened :-)

They have excellent hardware and software integration, but the OS is light years from perfect. Notifications are worse than ever, you still have to have every single app on your home screens, just like 2007 - I could go on.

They may not try to cram things into the OS like Samsung as you say, but they are too far the other way - seems like nothing ever changes. A 2007 iphone home screen looks like today's. Maybe that is good in some people's eyes. I would want a bit more progress if it were me. Less over-cramming of features than Samsung, but way more innovation than iOS. Perhaps somewhere in the middle is happiness :-)
    Innovation is great if your quality control department can handle it.
    09-20-2016 05:37 PM
    A lot of people only will go with the big companies, like Samsung or Apple. Plus Apple has the plus, which is similar in size to the note 7. Htc and the others are smaller, have problems updating their phones, or may not even be long for the world. Although we've been saying that last bit about htc for years now and they keep going. The nexus phones get updates, but not top of the line cameras which many want. Apple and galaxy phones do have the biggest name presence, and I would argue the best accessories ecosystems around them for cases and whatnot.

Agree, it is odd for so many android people to go to the fruit, but those are the only two brands I would do at this point, unless Google wows us on the 4th.
    every major flagship gets updated, especially HTC & Moto... when has samsung really been known for updates? I can understand the rest of the stuff u said but the update line is just false. I heard (I can't speak on it personally bc I don't have the phone) that the nexus 6p actually has a really great camera and isn't it the same screen size as the note?

I think people are switching bc as u said...they will only go to big companies
    09-20-2016 06:32 PM
    Because it's a free country and people are allowed to make their own purchase decisions...
    I used to have iPhone 6s+, what I like: smooth, stable, no jittery scrolling, no laggy, long battery, no need anti virus, get update in no time. What I don't like: limited customisation, many app is not free. N7, laggy, unresponsive, unstable wifi, short battery life, firmware update take months, so much you can do with Android. More selection in apps and many of them free.
    09-20-2016 06:57 PM
    Wow, I had completely forgot about HowardForums lol... That use to be the place and hung around there when I got the iPhone1 and into the jailbreaking and stuff. I had to just revisit the site just now... dead lol. Checking my HF profile shows I joined 2/07... could have sworn earlier.

Those were the real days of tinkering and showing what can be done with a phone with no keyboard and was the iPhone community going against the authority figures that was Apple and set the direction of smartphones of today. It's that constant back and forth battle between Apple and hackers that's made iPhone such a solid platform it is. It's because of those days of jailbreaking and the fun along with it that I'm always gonna have a place for that platform. I like them both.

That is why I could never use Apple products. I live to tinker, lol I posted on another topic that I was a member of Howard Forums since 2004, first using BitPim for my LG flip phones, then went BlackBerry from '08 til my Note 3 in 2013 (yes, old as dirt!).
    sandra_17 likes this.
    09-20-2016 07:02 PM
    Big GOOD companies... you know another reason it's not bad to go Apple... because you get a better return on investment... I look at my G2 or G3 sitting on my desk... I see old phones frozen in time stuck in lolipop land. You buy an iPhone, you're future proof for about 3-4 years... you may have an older camera or fewer pixels per inch than the newer... but you are rocking the latest OS that the brand new phones are and will rock the latest OS that the iphone next year will have and maybe after that and run fairly pretty well. I sold my buddy my 4S cause I went Nexus 4 and he's still rocking it the cheapskate lol. My sister just upgraded 5 to 7 this week but the phone can still hold it's own if she stayed with it... and rocking iOS 10! We're going into 5 years of support! I'm rocking iOS 10 on my iPad 2 and runs fast enough that I don't need to buy a replacement yet. That's a value-add you don't see with Androids really.

And these phones still run stable too when upgraded all these years.

I think people are switching bc as u said...they will only go to big companies
    libra89 likes this.
    09-20-2016 07:20 PM
    I had all the note series from 1-7 and previously returned the N7. Thanks the recall.

The N7 was gorgeous, fast for the first 2 weeks, then the browsers (chrome and Firefox) started lagging like hell. Wiped cache partition didn't help. Reset to factory and good for another few days, then the fking lag came back again. Had less than 9 apps installed like chase, Amazon, paypal, eBay, safeincloud..etc.

I really love android but not sure if I want to come back to the Samsung family after having the iPhone SE for the last couple weeks. I've purchased many android apps in the past years and prefer not to start over. But have to admit that iOS is so smooth and....boring.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-20-2016 07:45 PM
    Hi everyone,

As the title says, I decided to take advantage of the short weeks I had during the replacements of the Note 7 devices in store, and took a dive getting the iPhone 6S Plus. I thought I would share my experience.

I had tried iPhone before, once with the iPhone 4 and once with the iPhone 5S. Both of those phones lasted me a short while, as Android was much more feature packed at the time and offered many more options that I actually used. In short- I didn't like iOS and the iPhone very much as it just didn't work for me. In fact, I remember one morning waking up to my iPhone 5S and typing out a long email for work that needed an attachment; suffice it to say that when I attempted to attach a file AFTER starting to type the email and I found out that iOS didn't support that (still doesn't, I think), I purchased a Galaxy device hours after.

Here are some good things:

The operating system is fast and fluid, going through transitions seamlessly and getting where I want to go without issue. The OS also looks very good, and has a nice language about it throughout. I enjoyed the feel as well; giving me a good touch screen experience. While the modern high-end Android devices also deliver a great touch experience, there is something about the design of iOS plus the latency of the touch screen that just feels a bit more natural. I could never put my finger on it (no pun intended), but it just felt a bit more reactive to what I was trying to do in a lot less time than Android devices.

I also enjoyed the OIS on the camera. While Samsung has a great OIS on their setup, I felt like the OIS on the VIDEO portion (not the photo portion) was slightly better than the Note 7. This is anecdotal of course but that's what I experienced.

I liked the layout of the Google-Now copy which is the iOS 10 task screen (whatever it is called). It is basically a carbon copy of Google Now, but doesn't work quite as well just yet.

I also thought the menu from the bottom of the home screen, where you can toggle wifi and bluetooth, was very useful when used with music and other general controls. Android kinda has this baked into the notification bar, but it doesn't do as good of a job. On that note, I also liked how the system worked together when it came to email, calendar, reminders, tasks and more. This worked better on iOS than Android.

And then my favorite thing that, quite frankly, almost kept me on iPhone: THE BATTERY LIFE. I couldn't believe it. The iPhone 6S plus was the only phone I think I have ever owned that lasts me a full day. Not a work day, but a full day. I would unplug at 8am or so, and the phone would make it until midnight. Any other device, with my usage, would be dead by 4pm at THE LATEST. I was very happy about that.

Some of the dislikes:

Notification are absolutely awful on iOS 10. Really, really awful. While Android intelligently groups together nitifications from a single app, iOS expands them into every single notification you have. I get a lot of emails a day, and a lot of texts.... I had to scroll down for several seconds to go through my cluttered notification screen. In addition, notifications only half-worked. Often times, I would tap on the notification and ti would do nothing. 30 seconds later, I would tap on the same notification, and it would act on it. It didn't make sense, and it is, overall, a very awful design. Huge step backwards here.

Also, with ALL THAT BEZEL, they can't fit in a notification light? When I am at home, I don't keep my phone on me, I usually leave it on tables or desks. I can never tell when I had something new to look at unless I picked up the device. Not cool, especially with a bezel the size of Montana. Samsung is able to fit a larger screen on a smaller device WITH a notification light. I see no reason not to include one.

The screen is a weird one. Good quality, can't really tell the pixels apart, but the Samsung is definitely better. More vivid colors and text just bleeds.... quite nice.

The lack of back button is actually not good. I always though the back button was kinds lame since it is kind of inconsistent on Android- you never really know what it is going to do. On iPhone, you get a notification on the top left hand corner of the screen that allows you to go back to where you came from..... but it's kinda a big phone with big bezels. Every time I wanted to go back, I had to use both hands. Seems like a small issue, but it gets annoying.

Settings were also awful. The decision to place ALL settings for ALL apps in one place is not a good decision. Android has this right.

Not very customize-able. I didn't realize how customize-able Android was until I went back to trying the iPhone. Little things like having a search bar where I would like and empty space where I want is nice. In fact, I could never even find my apps on iPhone because folders all look the same, and I can't place them where I want for muscle memory. I always used search when I needed to find apps, which is also kind of annoying. Think of when you use your app drawer, and that is a similar experience to using the iPhone home.

Siri needs some catching up to do on actual tasks. Sure, it can be your friend a lot better, but that's not the point of a voice assistant. Google Now has miles on it. I downloaded Hound to keep up.

If I think of anything else I will add it, but that's what comes to mind. Glad I tried it, and I was actually relatively happy with it now that we have gone from dependence on OS stuff to dependence on Apps, which really helps the iOS platform a lot.
    calicocat2010 and libra89 like this.
    09-20-2016 11:06 PM
    I should say that at my AT&T store this afternoon... the manager said that he was surprised that none of the Note 7 customers have changed to iPhone. He said that included people who switched to another phone, and those who are coming in to get the replacements. He hadn't seen a single one leave Samsung.
    09-20-2016 11:12 PM
    #Hissgate #NoCellServiceGate #NoHeadphoneJack. Also no wireless charging and 720p/1080p screen. Most of you changing over to it will regret it. No thanks.
    Also, no quick charge, which is huge! Because of quick charge, I no longer have to worry about putting it on the charger at night
    09-20-2016 11:41 PM
    Innovation is great if your quality control department can handle it.
    Or you can just release the same damn phone every year and call it innovation. I was this close to trying an iPhone for the first time in 3 years. Until I went into an Apple store to try one out. No joke, people were playing with the 6s thinking it was the 7. They were oooo and ahhhh, only to have the salesperson come over to redirect them. I had to get the hell out of there. What a frigging joke.
    Wiley_11 and 1812dave like this.
    09-21-2016 12:10 AM
    I had traded in an iPhone 6s Plus on the Note 7. I was so convinced I was going to stay with the Android system for awhile that I also traded in my my Apple Watch on a new S2 Gear. Then when the recall came I debated on what I was going to do, I was not having any issues with my battery but I was having regret about the Note 7 and Android. I ended up returning it and going for the iPhone 7 and have not looked back. I like my Apple eco system and the phone has superior battery life for my usage and it just feels natural to me.
    This was so me, but I'm just disappointed in Apple. For their price point I would expect so much more. Apple is lacking creativity. Those air buds I wouldn't think is going to be much. Those Samsung Gear IconX kills those Air pods. I enjoy being part of the apple ecosystem, they just lost m in the phone department
    09-21-2016 12:14 AM
    I think that one reason is that some people think Samsung and Android are the same. For those people there is only Samsung or iPhone.
    09-25-2016 01:10 AM
    V20 not out yet so iphone only viable choice.
    SSG_Gunz likes this.
    09-25-2016 11:35 AM
    I was going to stick with my note 7 but if this bloomberg things about them knowing before launch happens to be try I'm not buying another Samsung phone I know my 1 device won't make a difference but them knowingly selling a device that could explode on my child face makes me second guess them
    09-25-2016 01:20 PM
    I was going to stick with my note 7 but if this bloomberg things about them knowing before launch happens to be try I'm not buying another Samsung phone I know my 1 device won't make a difference but them knowingly selling a device that could explode on my child face makes me second guess them
    Knowingly? They did not know this would happen. Apple has the Hiss/Pop issue right now that I can promise you Apple won't do anything about except laugh it off to "your holding it wrong".

I just returned my iphone 7 plus because of that issue, and back on my 6s plus till I can get my hands on a Note 7.
    1812dave likes this.
    09-25-2016 02:16 PM
    Not saying I believe bloomberg or the reports but in the last AC podcast the said Samsung knew and released the device with battery issues thinking it would only effect a much smaller amount of devices the ac guys just stated with the Blomberg article said so take that as you will

If this happens to be true it has to be taken seriously I'm hoping it isn't
    09-25-2016 02:50 PM
    If you are a gamer ... go iphone.

It's more powerful AND has a better gpu. Better apps games too.

I am not a gamer so this doesn't matter to much.

To be honest, for some specific reasons, LG's V20 looks tempting plus I personally prefer LCD over AMOLED.
    09-25-2016 02:57 PM
    Not saying I believe bloomberg or the reports but in the last AC podcast the said Samsung knew and released the device with battery issues thinking it would only effect a much smaller amount of devices the ac guys just stated with the Blomberg article said so take that as you will

If this happens to be true it has to be taken seriously I'm hoping it isn't
    Post the article because I'm not finding it.
    09-25-2016 02:58 PM
    If you are a gamer ... go iphone.

It's more powerful AND has a better gpu. Better apps games too.

I am not a gamer so this doesn't matter to much.

To be honest, for some specific reasons, LG's V20 looks tempting plus I personally prefer LCD over AMOLED.
    I like the V20 too, but the battery life is half of the Note 7s even though you can still swap the battery.
    09-25-2016 02:59 PM
    Meh. I think people that like iPhones are not going to switch since used to the Apple ecosystem. Pragmatically I have an embarrassing large amount of apps on both. One could look and see the positives of the N7 otherwise:

1. Note 7 camera is better
    2. Bigger and better display in smaller form factor
    3. No ITunes needed
    4. Drag and drop files
    5. Much more flexible for customization
    6. SD slot
    7. Pen integration
    8. Battery life is similar when N7 set to FHD and display still looks better
    9. Lots of emulators without jail breaking
    10. Flash
    11. Gear VR
    12. Minimize network task activity also makes Android iOS like, for lower sleep drain.
    13. Headphone jack

Those are some examples. I am typing this on an iPad Pro 256gb, so not anti Apple, but see that the Note 7 smokes the iPhone Plus, even at its own FHD display resolution.

Point being the Note 7 is a far more flexible device, but would be irrelevant to iPhone or Apple only fans. No changing them and seems futile to pretend.
    09-25-2016 03:10 PM
    Not able to find the article but of you listen to the podcast they talk about it during the note 7 discussion
    09-25-2016 03:49 PM
    Because Android phones suck, either because

A) carrier shenanigans
    B) carrier shenanigans with unlocked phones

Yes, I know, you did this and that and this other stuff have no issues with YOUR device. I don't feel like doing any of that. The Note 7 outweighs the Samsung & carrier assault on Android.

If At&t sold any of the Moto phones being made right now I would buy one for every day of the week. Until that happens, it's going to be a Note or an iPhone for me.
    09-25-2016 04:36 PM
    Its hard enough switching brands within the same OS. My note 5 was so different to my lg g2. Both android but still found a little tough tp transition..

Ive had windows, palm, haha sidekick, apple, blackberry, and now android devices. And out of all them i found apple to be the most infuriating to navigate. Its like the "simplicity" of it was complicating. Hard to explain.
    09-25-2016 04:54 PM
    I'm switching out to another android flagship after returning the note 7 replacement. IPhone wasn't even an option for me. LG or HTC until Samsung's stops selling out and megabotching.
    09-25-2016 05:06 PM
155 12345 ...