For those abandoning Note 7-Why automatically iPhone?

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have no OS allegiance, but I've primarily used Android with a touch of Blackberry back in the day. With that out of the way, I picked up a 6s+ to TRY out until my Note 7 replacement was fulfilled. My daughter has an iPad and a relative has a 6s+ but there is nothing like owning and making a true assessment with real time on and regular usage. After using the 6s+ for a week, I would classify it as a refined piece of hardware and software. Since Apple is responsible for both, there is an integration that is hard to describe unless you have used a competing OS for multiple years. It was different. I didn't love it nor did I dislike it. Here are some of my observations:

1. I love the back button on Android. I know that Apple have the back button at the top left of the screen AND the ability to swipe but that isn't available for every app. The use of the back button in Android for me is just something I have to have now. This is certainly due to the fact I've used it for so long, but it is a must have for me.

2. Battery. I can't speak for anyone else or your own mobile usage but the 6s+ battery was AWESOME! In my regular usage, I was able to get better time with it than my Note 7. Again, this may be due to the fact they're responsibe for hardware and software but I am a believer now. I went on a camping trip over the weekend and was able to use the phone regularly and didn't have to charge until I got back in my car. I was truly impressed. Having said that, they need fast charging. OMG! Are you kidding me? It takes forever to charge that phone.

3. Messaging. iMessage blah, blah, blah. That portion didn't move me as much as the plethora of fun options that are stock with the application (iOS10). I'm well into my 40s and actually enjoyed the GIFs, stickers, and other options because a couple of relatives made them fun. I know we don't have to have those things in a stock Android messaging app but it is nice to have available for those that want them without having to download an app that can.

4. Font. I actually like the font used for the phone. Just a personal observation and not much more to say about it.

5. Not obvious. Every accessory I connected to the iPhone had a visible meter at the top of the phone. This may be a small thing to some but I really got a kick out of that. Once again, built into without any apps is how I like to do things.

I didn't dislike the phone but I don't like it more than the Note 7. It truly showed me that both companies can continue to push each other for phone nirvana. LOL. I may potentially own one as a second phone but it would never be my primary. When my replacement Note 7 arrived yesterday, I couldn't wait to get it back in my hands. I just marvel at what Samsung has done with a big phone and made it so manageable. It is hard to buy a 5.7 inch screen and the ergonomics are not similar to the Note at this point. People bang on Samsung for all of the "gimmicks" and "unnecessary" options but I love it. I like having those options there for when I DO use them. The notifications on Android just have more control and I missed that in the one week with Apple. Lastly, the camera on my daughter's S7 was crushing the 6s+ while we were camping. We'd take the same pictures in the same lighting and it wasn't even close. I don't know about the 7+ but I'll stick with Sammy when it comes to cameras. I am certain we all will be able to pull our best pictures with our preferred phones and say that camera is the best. LOL. Note 7 FTW... BTW... my backup phone is always a Nexus.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all that.

However, Google started with the Nexus One in 2010 maybe? They've had a while to try this. It isn't new to them at this point. It's just not what consumers want now. Consumers don't want pure Android. Rinse, repeat. They just don't Three isn't an appeal. They wan the best screen, the best camera, and maybe a fast phone. The Nexus phones have never been the "best" at anything IMO , except for updates. They are very good phones with boring (modern) software IMO. I don't see this changing soon...

Well, let's all hope Google is getting away from the Nexus approach. Nexus devices appealed to developers, fanboys (and girls), and purists. In 2010, Google as a whole was very different. We didn't have the ecosystem that exists now. Google maps, play TV and movies, music, books, keep, photos, drive, YouTube, and Google Now are well established. Chromecast, Chromebooks, Android Wear, Nest and OnHub are all a part of Google.

Nexus was always marketed as pure Android. On Oct 4th, I don't expect "pure Android". I expect to see Google's attempt at bringing all things together and providing their interpretation of a great user experience. Samsung does it with TouchWiz and Galaxy Apps, along with VR and Fit Accessories. Apple has been doing it with Apple iOS, Apple Watch, iTunes and Macs.

For a while, I used Apple and iTunes, then I came to Android and spent time with Samsung and their products. The rumored premium pricing and use of the Snapdragon 821 strongly indicates Google is trying to be the best at something other than quick updates.

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I picked iPhone to replace my Note 7 because of battery life and Apple iPhone just works. Other companies in android are meh.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, let's all hope Google is getting away from the Nexus approach. Nexus devices appealed to developers, fanboys (and girls), and purists. In 2010, Google as a whole was very different. We didn't have the ecosystem that exists now. Google maps, play TV and movies, music, books, keep, photos, drive, YouTube, and Google Now are well established. Chromecast, Chromebooks, Android Wear, Nest and OnHub are all a part of Google.

Nexus was always marketed as pure Android. On Oct 4th, I don't expect "pure Android". I expect to see Google's attempt at bringing all things together and providing their interpretation of a great user experience. Samsung does it with TouchWiz and Galaxy Apps, along with VR and Fit Accessories. Apple has been doing it with Apple iOS, Apple Watch, iTunes and Macs.

For a while, I used Apple and iTunes, then I came to Android and spent time with Samsung and their products. The rumored premium pricing and use of the Snapdragon 821 strongly indicates Google is trying to be the best at something other than quick updates.

"I don't expect to see pure Android.. "

I will bet this option is still available to anyone who is interested in having it though.

To my way of thinking.. The Nexus phones have evolved way beyond being just a developers phone. My 6p is light years ahead of the first iterations and leaps and bounds above many other phones out today.

Now why anyone would go from the Note 7 to a iPhone 7 unless it was their first Android and the recall has soured them, I haven't a clue. I would rather be stuck with a carrier branded phone that never receives any updates than move to ios. As it stands I don't need to update my 6p this year and look forward to seeing what will come out in 2017..

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
"I don't expect to see pure Android.. "

Now why anyone would go from the Note 7 to a iPhone 7 unless it was their first Android and the recall has soured them, I haven't a clue. I would rather be stuck with a carrier branded phone that never receives any updates than move to ios..

But if you read above, you should have a clue since several people explained. It's not an us vs them mentality, or should not be. It isn't for a lot of people actually, but I've never understood the fierce attachment to a brand of phone that some people have, whether a fan of apple or Android. It's a phone.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get this. All the talk about a mess of angry, dissatisfied Note 7 customers defecting to iPhone.

How does dissatisfaction with one Android phone mean an automatic defection to iPhone?-A completely different eco system. Wouldn't the vast majority of Note 7 users look to another Android flagship?

Haven't most people who can afford a Note 7 invested in apps on Google Play? Apps that you buy that is not carried over to ios. My Sygic navigation app cost me $50 AU and I lose that if I go to ios.

I just can't see the logic of all this. I can understand a mass defection from the Note 7 to either the S7 or other Androids, but I just can't see the reason why you would switch completely different eco systems and operating platforms.

Apple may not be the one to do it first, but they're the ones who seem to get things right most of the time because they don't just cram stuff in their phones just for the sake of having everything much like Samsung. Maybe they know something we don't about how to make a phone that doesn't blow up in your face. Hope you all read the article that says Samsung was trying to compete so hard against the iPhone it's quality control slipped. Sorry to say that Apple has perfected its OS and software and hardware integration. It's perfectly optimized and the way it's made, it doesn't need all the bells and whistles to be the best!

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
...You can't customize as much but also not a bad thing either because you're not tinkering with it as much. You have an iPhone, you have all the apps you want to put on it and it just gets the job done. ... Just a solid phone.....
That is why I could never use Apple products. I live to tinker, lol :) I posted on another topic that I was a member of Howard Forums since 2004, first using BitPim for my LG flip phones, then went BlackBerry from '08 til my Note 3 in 2013 (yes, old as dirt!). Some folks love messing with their phones, others hate it, some in between. My daughter is 26, went to F.I.T. in NYC and enrolled in 2008 when she AND all her friends had BlackBerries and their primary means of communication was BBM. By the end of her two years there, she (and nearly every other student) ditched her Windows PC and BB for a Mac laptop, iPad and iPhone, and now they all communicate with FaceTime and iPhone's messaging. She's very creative and artistic, and wants her phone to be a phone, her computer a computer, tablet a tablet. Doesn't really change much on either. Finds doing so a waste of time. For me it's an enjoyable pastime.

My husband is several years older than me (older than dirt??), is in management in IT, and wants nothing technical to do on his PC or phone at home. I'm very surprised he hasn't gone Apple yet (he gets all of my previous phones when I upgrade). Pretty sure he'd go back to a flip phone if it was free. He and my 27 yr old son are both kinda in the middle tho my son does like to customize a bit.

My oldest son, 30, is at the far other end of the spectrum. He's a Nexus guy thru and thru (well, maybe Pixel soon?), MUST root, custom ROM, etc. (that far I've never gone...yet :) ) He's been a tinkerer since toddler-hood, builds PC's for fun, is a network systems admin now. And cell phones are pocket PC's for him as for me. So Apple products apparently do have a place, and some people just want a phone. Personally I think they'd make my skin itch!

(Wonder how many of us who dislike Apple products have issues with authority figures, lol??!)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung was trying to compete so hard against the iPhone it's quality control slipped.
Um, OK I guess THAT is why all this happened :)

Sorry to say that Apple has perfected its OS and software and hardware integration
They have excellent hardware and software integration, but the OS is light years from perfect. Notifications are worse than ever, you still have to have every single app on your home screens, just like 2007 - I could go on.

They may not try to cram things into the OS like Samsung as you say, but they are too far the other way - seems like nothing ever changes. A 2007 iphone home screen looks like today's. Maybe that is good in some people's eyes. I would want a bit more progress if it were me. Less over-cramming of features than Samsung, but way more innovation than iOS. Perhaps somewhere in the middle is happiness :)

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
#Hissgate #NoCellServiceGate #NoHeadphoneJack. Also no wireless charging and 720p/1080p screen. Most of you changing over to it will regret it. No thanks.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It's the new hotness, and it's drama free. And a lot of these people are phone jumpers anyway. They'll likely be giving the S8 and Note 8 a look in just a few months.

The iPhone 7 is a "get me over" phone. Get me over to March when the new hotness arrives or get me over to next year's iPhone which is suppose to be the real deal.

There is one very good thing about this Note 7 fiasco. As you indicated and as per the rumours, iPhone 7 is a stop gap till iPhone 8-their 10th anniversary model. Apparently iPhone will go out on this model. By the time this happens, the Note 7 fiasco will have been forgotten and Samsung will have learnt their lesson and do the Note 8 right.

If you are going to stuff up a Note series, much better to do it with an iPhone model that is not spectacular rather than their 10th anniversary model which is likely to be special.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Um, OK I guess THAT is why all this happened :)

They have excellent hardware and software integration, but the OS is light years from perfect. Notifications are worse than ever, you still have to have every single app on your home screens, just like 2007 - I could go on.

They may not try to cram things into the OS like Samsung as you say, but they are too far the other way - seems like nothing ever changes. A 2007 iphone home screen looks like today's. Maybe that is good in some people's eyes. I would want a bit more progress if it were me. Less over-cramming of features than Samsung, but way more innovation than iOS. Perhaps somewhere in the middle is happiness :)

Innovation is great if your quality control department can handle it.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people only will go with the big companies, like Samsung or Apple. Plus Apple has the plus, which is similar in size to the note 7. Htc and the others are smaller, have problems updating their phones, or may not even be long for the world. Although we've been saying that last bit about htc for years now and they keep going. The nexus phones get updates, but not top of the line cameras which many want. Apple and galaxy phones do have the biggest name presence, and I would argue the best accessories ecosystems around them for cases and whatnot.

Agree, it is odd for so many android people to go to the fruit, but those are the only two brands I would do at this point, unless Google wows us on the 4th.

every major flagship gets updated, especially HTC & Moto... when has samsung really been known for updates? I can understand the rest of the stuff u said but the update line is just false. I heard (I can't speak on it personally bc I don't have the phone) that the nexus 6p actually has a really great camera and isn't it the same screen size as the note?

I think people are switching bc as u said...they will only go to big companies

Last edited:

charlie888w

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Because it's a free country and people are allowed to make their own purchase decisions...

I used to have iPhone 6s+, what I like: smooth, stable, no jittery scrolling, no laggy, long battery, no need anti virus, get update in no time. What I don't like: limited customisation, many app is not free. N7, laggy, unresponsive, unstable wifi, short battery life, firmware update take months, so much you can do with Android. More selection in apps and many of them free.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I had completely forgot about HowardForums lol... That use to be the place and hung around there when I got the iPhone1 and into the jailbreaking and stuff. I had to just revisit the site just now... dead lol. Checking my HF profile shows I joined 2/07... could have sworn earlier.

Those were the real days of tinkering and showing what can be done with a phone with no keyboard and was the iPhone community going against the authority figures that was Apple and set the direction of smartphones of today. It's that constant back and forth battle between Apple and hackers that's made iPhone such a solid platform it is. It's because of those days of jailbreaking and the fun along with it that I'm always gonna have a place for that platform. I like them both.

That is why I could never use Apple products. I live to tinker, lol :) I posted on another topic that I was a member of Howard Forums since 2004, first using BitPim for my LG flip phones, then went BlackBerry from '08 til my Note 3 in 2013 (yes, old as dirt!).

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Big GOOD companies... you know another reason it's not bad to go Apple... because you get a better return on investment... I look at my G2 or G3 sitting on my desk... I see old phones frozen in time stuck in lolipop land. You buy an iPhone, you're future proof for about 3-4 years... you may have an older camera or fewer pixels per inch than the newer... but you are rocking the latest OS that the brand new phones are and will rock the latest OS that the iphone next year will have and maybe after that and run fairly pretty well. I sold my buddy my 4S cause I went Nexus 4 and he's still rocking it the cheapskate lol. My sister just upgraded 5 to 7 this week but the phone can still hold it's own if she stayed with it... and rocking iOS 10! We're going into 5 years of support! I'm rocking iOS 10 on my iPad 2 and runs fast enough that I don't need to buy a replacement yet. That's a value-add you don't see with Androids really.

And these phones still run stable too when upgraded all these years.

I think people are switching bc as u said...they will only go to big companies

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I had all the note series from 1-7 and previously returned the N7. Thanks the recall.

The N7 was gorgeous, fast for the first 2 weeks, then the browsers (chrome and Firefox) started lagging like hell. Wiped cache partition didn't help. Reset to factory and good for another few days, then the fking lag came back again. Had less than 9 apps installed like chase, Amazon, paypal, eBay, safeincloud..etc.

I really love android but not sure if I want to come back to the Samsung family after having the iPhone SE for the last couple weeks. I've purchased many android apps in the past years and prefer not to start over. But have to admit that iOS is so smooth and....boring.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Went to iPhone during recall period... came back. Here are some thoughts.

Hi everyone,

As the title says, I decided to take advantage of the short weeks I had during the replacements of the Note 7 devices in store, and took a dive getting the iPhone 6S Plus. I thought I would share my experience.

I had tried iPhone before, once with the iPhone 4 and once with the iPhone 5S. Both of those phones lasted me a short while, as Android was much more feature packed at the time and offered many more options that I actually used. In short- I didn't like iOS and the iPhone very much as it just didn't work for me. In fact, I remember one morning waking up to my iPhone 5S and typing out a long email for work that needed an attachment; suffice it to say that when I attempted to attach a file AFTER starting to type the email and I found out that iOS didn't support that (still doesn't, I think), I purchased a Galaxy device hours after.

Here are some good things:

The operating system is fast and fluid, going through transitions seamlessly and getting where I want to go without issue. The OS also looks very good, and has a nice language about it throughout. I enjoyed the feel as well; giving me a good touch screen experience. While the modern high-end Android devices also deliver a great touch experience, there is something about the design of iOS plus the latency of the touch screen that just feels a bit more natural. I could never put my finger on it (no pun intended), but it just felt a bit more reactive to what I was trying to do in a lot less time than Android devices.

I also enjoyed the OIS on the camera. While Samsung has a great OIS on their setup, I felt like the OIS on the VIDEO portion (not the photo portion) was slightly better than the Note 7. This is anecdotal of course but that's what I experienced.

I liked the layout of the Google-Now copy which is the iOS 10 task screen (whatever it is called). It is basically a carbon copy of Google Now, but doesn't work quite as well just yet.

I also thought the menu from the bottom of the home screen, where you can toggle wifi and bluetooth, was very useful when used with music and other general controls. Android kinda has this baked into the notification bar, but it doesn't do as good of a job. On that note, I also liked how the system worked together when it came to email, calendar, reminders, tasks and more. This worked better on iOS than Android.

And then my favorite thing that, quite frankly, almost kept me on iPhone: THE BATTERY LIFE. I couldn't believe it. The iPhone 6S plus was the only phone I think I have ever owned that lasts me a full day. Not a work day, but a full day. I would unplug at 8am or so, and the phone would make it until midnight. Any other device, with my usage, would be dead by 4pm at THE LATEST. I was very happy about that.

Some of the dislikes:

Notification are absolutely awful on iOS 10. Really, really awful. While Android intelligently groups together nitifications from a single app, iOS expands them into every single notification you have. I get a lot of emails a day, and a lot of texts.... I had to scroll down for several seconds to go through my cluttered notification screen. In addition, notifications only half-worked. Often times, I would tap on the notification and ti would do nothing. 30 seconds later, I would tap on the same notification, and it would act on it. It didn't make sense, and it is, overall, a very awful design. Huge step backwards here.

Also, with ALL THAT BEZEL, they can't fit in a notification light? When I am at home, I don't keep my phone on me, I usually leave it on tables or desks. I can never tell when I had something new to look at unless I picked up the device. Not cool, especially with a bezel the size of Montana. Samsung is able to fit a larger screen on a smaller device WITH a notification light. I see no reason not to include one.

The screen is a weird one. Good quality, can't really tell the pixels apart, but the Samsung is definitely better. More vivid colors and text just bleeds.... quite nice.

The lack of back button is actually not good. I always though the back button was kinds lame since it is kind of inconsistent on Android- you never really know what it is going to do. On iPhone, you get a notification on the top left hand corner of the screen that allows you to go back to where you came from..... but it's kinda a big phone with big bezels. Every time I wanted to go back, I had to use both hands. Seems like a small issue, but it gets annoying.

Settings were also awful. The decision to place ALL settings for ALL apps in one place is not a good decision. Android has this right.

Not very customize-able. I didn't realize how customize-able Android was until I went back to trying the iPhone. Little things like having a search bar where I would like and empty space where I want is nice. In fact, I could never even find my apps on iPhone because folders all look the same, and I can't place them where I want for muscle memory. I always used search when I needed to find apps, which is also kind of annoying. Think of when you use your app drawer, and that is a similar experience to using the iPhone home.

Siri needs some catching up to do on actual tasks. Sure, it can be your friend a lot better, but that's not the point of a voice assistant. Google Now has miles on it. I downloaded Hound to keep up.

If I think of anything else I will add it, but that's what comes to mind. Glad I tried it, and I was actually relatively happy with it now that we have gone from dependence on OS stuff to dependence on Apps, which really helps the iOS platform a lot.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I should say that at my AT&T store this afternoon... the manager said that he was surprised that none of the Note 7 customers have changed to iPhone. He said that included people who switched to another phone, and those who are coming in to get the replacements. He hadn't seen a single one leave Samsung.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
#Hissgate #NoCellServiceGate #NoHeadphoneJack. Also no wireless charging and 720p/1080p screen. Most of you changing over to it will regret it. No thanks.
Also, no quick charge, which is huge! Because of quick charge, I no longer have to worry about putting it on the charger at night

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781