For those abandoning Note 7-Why automatically iPhone?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I just don't get this. All the talk about a mess of angry, dissatisfied Note 7 customers defecting to iPhone.

How does dissatisfaction with one Android phone mean an automatic defection to iPhone?-A completely different eco system. Wouldn't the vast majority of Note 7 users look to another Android flagship?

Haven't most people who can afford a Note 7 invested in apps on Google Play? Apps that you buy that is not carried over to ios. My Sygic navigation app cost me $50 AU and I lose that if I go to ios.

I just can't see the logic of all this. I can understand a mass defection from the Note 7 to either the S7 or other Androids, but I just can't see the reason why you would switch completely different eco systems and operating platforms.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people only will go with the big companies, like Samsung or Apple. Plus Apple has the plus, which is similar in size to the note 7. Htc and the others are smaller, have problems updating their phones, or may not even be long for the world. Although we've been saying that last bit about htc for years now and they keep going. The nexus phones get updates, but not top of the line cameras which many want. Apple and galaxy phones do have the biggest name presence, and I would argue the best accessories ecosystems around them for cases and whatnot.

Agree, it is odd for so many android people to go to the fruit, but those are the only two brands I would do at this point, unless Google wows us on the 4th.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I had traded in an iPhone 6s Plus on the Note 7. I was so convinced I was going to stay with the Android system for awhile that I also traded in my my Apple Watch on a new S2 Gear. Then when the recall came I debated on what I was going to do, I was not having any issues with my battery but I was having regret about the Note 7 and Android. I ended up returning it and going for the iPhone 7 and have not looked back. I like my Apple eco system and the phone has superior battery life for my usage and it just feels natural to me.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people only will go with the big companies, like Samsung or Apple. Plus Apple has the plus, which is similar in size to the note 7. Htc and the others are smaller, have problems updating their phones, or may not even be long for the world. Although we've been saying that last bit about htc for years now and they keep going. The nexus phones get updates, but not top of the line cameras which many want. Apple and galaxy phones do have the biggest name presence, and I would argue the best accessories ecosystems around them for cases and whatnot.

Agree, it is odd for so many android people to go to the fruit, but those are the only two brands I would do at this point, unless Google wows us on the 4th.

All very true. In addition, it's brand new now and the "Apple Distortion Effect" is in full force with the media coverage and bliss surrounding the articles (Article about how great it is , overlooking any flaws, etc. We know how the mainstream portrays Apple products). So potential buyers are probably seeing lots of great stuff printed in mainstream media and some tech blogs about the iP7+ now.

I would add too that many folks will only buy an iPhone or a "Galaxy" :) . Such is the market dominance and brand recognition that exists today among mainstream consumers. If you asked normal folks what phone commercials they remember seeing on TV, I bet most would talk about Samsung or Apple ones (even though others exist).

Also, iPhones are generally great phones overall. Some here may not prefer them, but they work great, look great, have great battery life and cameras. There is a good deal to be looking at.

As for longtime Android users, I don't see the iPhone 7+ as anything to draw us away from the ecosystem. I am sure it's a great phone, but very similar to all previous ones (except no headphone jack, a weird home "button", and the dual cameras)

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I too, don't understand the idea of making such a massive change. I know some people who use both android and apple though so making the switch isn't such a big deal in that case. Personally, I don't care for the apple system in general and will probably never want one of their phones. Android is what I know and am comfortable with, but more power to those taking on a new system. Part of me does wonder if the "screw this, I'm going to iPhone" type threads are more of an attention-seeking thing though.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
The Note7 was/is my first android phone, always had apple in the past. The things that brought me to the note 7 have not changed and i am looking forward to getting my replacement Note 7 and learning the Android OS.

The rest of my family have iPhones and we are very invested in the apple ecosystem (itunes movies and TV shows and what not), but i was very disappointed by the iPhone 7 and the lack of innovation in iOS

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The Note7 was/is my first android phone, always had apple in the past. The things that brought me to the note 7 have not changed and i am looking forward to getting my replacement Note 7 and learning the Android OS.

The rest of my family have iPhones and we are very invested in the apple ecosystem (itunes movies and TV shows and what not), but i was very disappointed by the iPhone 7 and the lack of innovation in iOS

I think you made a good choice. Once the replacements are in, I think owners will be very happy again with their devices. I love my Note 7, and I think it is a fantastic device. There is no denying the stigma that will be attached to it . But that's all it is hopefully, a stigma. Assuming they lift airline restrictions eventually, I will be extremely happy with my Note 7 for a long time.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are used to , invested in, and committed to the iTunes ecosystem, of course you will likely go back. Samsung did not help with swaying power due the careless battery QC. Note 7 rocks, but Apple commits usually do go back. Especially if spent a lot of money on apps, accessories and iTunes purchased media.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I too, don't understand the idea of making such a massive change. I know some people who use both android and apple though so making the switch isn't such a big deal in that case. Personally, I don't care for the apple system in general and will probably never want one of their phones. Android is what I know and am comfortable with, but more power to those taking on a new system. Part of me does wonder if the "screw this, I'm going to iPhone" type threads are more of an attention-seeking thing though.

Yeah I agree. There is just so much of a learning curve for a lot of people I imagine switching operating platforms. I just could not imagine going through all that hassle. Plus as I say, losing all the paid apps. I myself would much rather just stick to what I know.

Even if I changed from my S5 to a Note 7, there is still learning all the new and extra features, options, customizations etc Let alone I imagine a totally different operating system.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried apple once. It was horrible. Also people making battery comparisons need to realize display differences. 2 reasons I don't like Apple. 1 they are the new blackberry in terms of not wanting to change. Every iPhone is the same. Pretty much. So it's only a matter of time before they are in that same position.

2. They have put to many small businesses out of business I feel like they are an evil company. Also feel with the way they have fans the way they do without changing anything with their phones that they must have subliminal messages embedded in their screens are something that you can't see but you see kind of thing lmao

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I agree. There is just so much of a learning curve for a lot of people I imagine switching operating platforms. I just could not imagine going through all that hassle. Plus as I say, losing all the paid apps. I myself would much rather just stick to what I know.

Even if I changed from my S5 to a Note 7, there is still learning all the new and extra features, options, customizations etc Let alone I imagine a totally different operating system.

My manager has a lot invested in the Apple OS. I don't think he'd chang ever unless he had to. Our company is Apple fans and I'm the only one with an android phone in our small department. I don't have a lot invested in Android, but I like the way it works and I can customize it.

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
People are probably just doing it out of spite as if this is the first ever recall for a phone. Iphone had a recall for antenna issues on their phones a few years ago. Whoever is switching to iphone solely because of this recall, probably didn't utilize any real features on the note anyway so good riddance.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It's really not a massive change. Spent the last three phones on Android, I thought it would using an iPhone 6 but it wasn't.

I had practically every app I was using on Android available on iOS and runs as good if not better. I thought I'd miss Google App/OK Google but I got a work around having Google App on my home screen so one extra step to launch app but I can then "OK Google" all I want and if I want directions, it opens my Google Maps.

You can't customize as much but also not a bad thing either because you're not tinkering with it as much. You have an iPhone, you have all the apps you want to put on it and it just gets the job done. The hardware is solid thin design, it runs fast and smooth, battery for me one of the best phones I've had next to LG G2 battery, the camera is great, stays relevant knowing you're going to stay updated with the latest OS for probably the next three years. Just a solid phone.

If I don't get a Note 7, I'd probably get an iPhone 7 as a solid phone choice. But I really wish it was at least a 5" screen. :/ Iphone 7+ is just too big for me. No other Android phone gets my interest except the S7 because it's a bigger screen than the iPhone 6. If I had patience, maybe the S8 Edge if they redesign the body like Note 7. But I'll probably get the Note 7 while I have the chance to get at corp. pricing.

ScottJ28

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
It's really not a massive change. Spent the last three phones on Android, I thought it would using an iPhone 6 but it wasn't.

I had practically every app I was using on Android available on iOS and runs as good if not better. I thought I'd miss Google App/OK Google but I got a work around having Google App on my home screen so one extra step to launch app but I can then "OK Google" all I want and if I want directions, it opens my Google Maps.

You can't customize as much but also not a bad thing either because you're not tinkering with it as much. You have an iPhone, you have all the apps you want to put on it and it just gets the job done. The hardware is solid thin design, it runs fast and smooth, battery for me one of the best phones I've had next to LG G2 battery, the camera is great, stays relevant knowing you're going to stay updated with the latest OS for probably the next three years. Just a solid phone.

I agree 100% with what you said, but I will also add resale value. No other smartphone holds it's resale value like an iPhone, and that's important to those that sell their devices in order to purchase a new device.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My big question is "How does Google plan to wow the public on the 4th and make them second guess an iPhone or Galaxy device?"

Obviously, they'll need to offer exceptional customer service and support.
Provide some type of exclusive feature(s) that sets the Pixels apart from any other Android device.
Could we see Google holding back some features in future Android updates for manufacturers?
(Samsung, Huawei, LG, Moto will still get Android, but not the same as the Pixels will.)

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I just don't get this. All the talk about a mess of angry, dissatisfied Note 7 customers defecting to iPhone.

How does dissatisfaction with one Android phone mean an automatic defection to iPhone?-A completely different eco system. Wouldn't the vast majority of Note 7 users look to another Android flagship?

Haven't most people who can afford a Note 7 invested in apps on Google Play? Apps that you buy that is not carried over to ios. My Sygic navigation app cost me $50 AU and I lose that if I go to ios.

I just can't see the logic of all this. I can understand a mass defection from the Note 7 to either the S7 or other Androids, but I just can't see the reason why you would switch completely different eco systems and operating platforms.

Some people want the latest device and/or are hooked on the number 7. The Galaxy S7 is 6 months old so the only other 7 device is the iPhone 7.

Makes as much sense as anything the defectors will come up with.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested to see what Google comes out with... The body styles are not wowing me so I'm not excited about them right now.

I'd have to see the specs and the price on Pixel. The specs have to be flagship level... have to be on par with S7, OnePlus3, ZTE Axom 7. And honestly the price would have to be close to the OnePlus3 and ZTE to really get my attention. Before the Note 7, OnePlus3 and ZTE were my top choice because at $400, I felt that was a better value than an iPhone at full price.

My big question is "How does Google plan to wow the public on the 4th and make them second guess an iPhone or Galaxy device?"

Obviously, they'll need to offer exceptional customer service and support.
Provide some type of exclusive feature(s) that sets the Pixels apart from any other Android device.
Could we see Google holding back some features in future Android updates for manufacturers?
(Samsung, Huawei, LG, Moto will still get Android, but not the same as the Pixels will.)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes timing is everything too and at THIS moment when all heck broke loose for Note 7, you have iPhone 7 just coming out... it's the latest and greatest phone released right now and it's a solid phone. Samsung had that momentum with S7/S7 Edge and then the Note 7 and could have powered through and keep some share away from Apple... but they lost it.

Some people want the latest device and/or are hooked on the number 7. The Galaxy S7 is 6 months old so the only other 7 device is the iPhone 7.

Makes as much sense as anything the defectors will come up with.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm likely not returning to the note, mostly because I want to wait to see what the new pixel phones offer. I haven't ruled out the iPhones either. I have no allegiance to any one hardware brand and can appreciate all types of tech. Also, from what I've read new sales won't begin until October 21 (I returned my original note for a refund so I'd have to wait until sales began again).

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you have to understand a few things to know why people are "automatically" defecting to iOS. First and foremost, I don't think most of the people who switch to Android, are actually ready for anything new. It's always been interesting to me to watch, because people wouldn't switch to Android if they felt like the iPhone did everything they wanted it to do, yet it's like they don't realize it's going to be a different experience so they just go right back and then they tell themselves and everyone else that they'll never look back. Apple obviously wasn't fulfilling their needs in a daily device, yet they simply cannot deal with change even if it means getting a device that does what they need it to. People will read this and say: "How do YOU know what my needs are!?" Well, again, you wouldn't have gone searching for something else if your needs had been met. Mine are with the Note 7, so an iPhone hasn't crossed my mind for a fraction of a second.

I think secondarily, you've got people who only consider two or three choices, and it's always going to be whatever is the most popular. Whether that be for status symbol or access to accessories is anyone's guess, but that's what I observe, specifically with my in-laws. They all love iPhones because they're so popular, but when the S3 got really popular they all switched to that, went back to iOS for a bit, and then the S7 edge was so popular they switched again. I'm confident they'll all be back to iPhone after the first few commercials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool