For those abandoning Note 7-Why automatically iPhone?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
But people do not make their own purchase decisions. They are mind con-trolled by the media, advertising, peer pressure. Even though people have their own minds they just don't think freely.

True story. The end.

I think most of us are like that, at least just a bit. I am still using a Galaxy S5, but in reality, I could have bought something half the price or less that could have met all my needs.

When any of us buy a flagship phone like a Note 7, iPhone etc, do we really need it? If must of us are honest, we want the latest and greatest, so we are all influenced by marketing, peer pressure etc.

rrutter81

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
i am on the opposite side of the fence.
ive been with the iphone since the 3g. then 3gs, then 4, 5, and finally the 6.
i went from windows 7 (never really left) to a macbook pro starting with lion all the way to el capitan.

my macbook pro is now a full on windows box and my phone is the galaxy s7 active.

apple had a good thing going until recently.

dogdooley

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
An awful lot of people just want a phone that is quality and has all the apps that they use. I have never really liked Apple products, but they are good products that work well. I have never been a follower and I never buy a product just because it's popular or because my friends have it. Some people do what their friends do. Some people want to fit in with the crowd. If switching phones is cool, they will do it. Not all people are tied to one particular OS and making the switch is easy for them. I just prefer Android and Google over IOS and Apple. A recall won't make me switch, but to each their own and thank goodness we have so many choices in Android phones. I love my Note7. The iPhone 7+ felt too big in the hand compared to the Note7 as well.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
An awful lot of people just want a phone that is quality and has all the apps that they use. I have never really liked Apple products, but they are good products that work well. I have never been a follower and I never buy a product just because it's popular or because my friends have it. Some people do what their friends do. Some people want to fit in with the crowd. If switching phones is cool, they will do it. Not all people are tied to one particular OS and making the switch is easy for them. I just prefer Android and Google over IOS and Apple. A recall won't make me switch, but to each their own and thank goodness we have so many choices in Android phones. I love my Note7. The iPhone 7+ felt too big in the hand compared to the Note7 as well.

+1

Right on the money.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Why? Because anyone with poor enough judgment to ditch the Note 7 due to the recall, will likely continue that bad decision making by getting an iPhone.

WOW really? I sure think I made the right decision to return my N7 as requested and not risk the possible lower than normal resale value (since that's my thing). Why not give IOS a shot (I said to myself) I am after all a windows fanboy and since I'm not there I have no allegiance to Android and I've done just about everything there is to do with an Android phone (I still have my LGV10 and several other phones). Never had a iPhone though and after a week of having one it's perfectly fine (not worth the grand I might as well have paid for, but it's fine).

It just works. So no I don't think I have poor judgement, because at the end of the day I'll be able to sell it back for at least $600 on SWAPPA so it really only cost me >$400 same price as a good midrange Android phone, but so much better (IMOP).

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
iOS is buggier than any OS I've tried. Throw-in the uninspired, technologically outdated hardware and I'd return to Lumia way before I'd get an iPhone. Not to mention the dozens of other Android alternatives that are superior to the iPhone 7. Fortunately, I already have my replacement Note 7.

subraya

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get this. All the talk about a mess of angry, dissatisfied Note 7 customers defecting to iPhone.

How does dissatisfaction with one Android phone mean an automatic defection to iPhone?-A completely different eco system. Wouldn't the vast majority of Note 7 users look to another Android flagship?

Haven't most people who can afford a Note 7 invested in apps on Google Play? Apps that you buy that is not carried over to ios. My Sygic navigation app cost me $50 AU and I lose that if I go to ios.

I just can't see the logic of all this. I can understand a mass defection from the Note 7 to either the S7 or other Androids, but I just can't see the reason why you would switch completely different eco systems and operating platforms.
There are many other Flagship Android Smartphones from other companies as well. But people just go for the most popular brands. Even if the iPhone doesn't have features that other smartphones have, besides Samsung that people still go for them. It's the brand value. They consider it more than what features the phones actually have to offer.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is anything wrong with liking both OS's. While the ecosystems are totally different in many ways, liking them is NOT mutually exclusive. There are strengths to each OS . I happen to love Android for phone OS (though I like iPads and iOS for tablets). Even though I love Android, I do sometimes long for the simplicity and consistency of iOS (if you are like me, think how long it takes to set your new phone up just so, for example) . There are times where I would enjoy total simplicity I think.

Bottom line is that I think people can like both, and that I don't think that is a odd or bad thing. As such, if you think the Note 7 is the best Android phone (I do), and you think the iPhone 7 is the best iOS phone (it is), then it isn't odd at all for some that they would consider the iP7 as the next alternative.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple may not be the one to do it first, but they're the ones who seem to get things right most of the time because they don't just cram stuff in their phones just for the sake of having everything much like Samsung. Maybe they know something we don't about how to make a phone that doesn't blow up in your face. Hope you all read the article that says Samsung was trying to compete so hard against the iPhone it's quality control slipped. Sorry to say that Apple has perfected its OS and software and hardware integration. It's perfectly optimized and the way it's made, it doesn't need all the bells and whistles to be the best!

Wow there's a lot to take in from this post, most of it inaccurate. First off, what company doesn't try to rush things out the door to beat an opponent? Apple has done the same exact thing multiple times, only to discover later that their phone couldn't make phone calls.

You are correct in saying that the optimization exceeds any Android device on the market. That much is very true. However, I wouldn't say it's perfect as you do. I've used plenty an iPhone that hung up on multiple different button presses and commands. If that's perfection, we're lowering the bar.

Also, you're right in saying it doesn't need all the bells and whistles to be the best, but it needs one or two, and it doesn't have them. It's certainly not the best unless all you need is an app drawer.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
WOW really? I sure think I made the right decision to return my N7 as requested and not risk the possible lower than normal resale value (since that's my thing). Why not give IOS a shot (I said to myself) I am after all a windows fanboy and since I'm not there I have no allegiance to Android and I've done just about everything there is to do with an Android phone (I still have my LGV10 and several other phones). Never had a iPhone though and after a week of having one it's perfectly fine (not worth the grand I might as well have paid for, but it's fine).

It just works. So no I don't think I have poor judgement, because at the end of the day I'll be able to sell it back for at least $600 on SWAPPA so it really only cost me >$400 same price as a good midrange Android phone, but so much better (IMOP).

I'm happy for you that you found something you're content with. So at this point, why not join the conversations with the iPhone owners over at imore? Obviously you're welcome here to shoot the breeze with us and to keep up on the Note 7 news, but if your posts are just going to be attacking the Note 7, what's the point? You're happy, we're happy.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
OP, I agree with you. One would think a switch to a Samsung flagship could be a possible solution; especially with investments in Google Play and familiarity with the Android ecosystem/Samsung OS.

zsufi

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I got a loaner from T-mobile due to Note 7 issues, an Iphone 6s+ with crappy 16gb version.

Meanwhile I am super impressed with the iphone. Note that this is the first ever Iphone that I have ever used. Have been a die-hard android fan since the beginning. I had many doubts about Iphone to switch or not, how closed it is and that certain things I wanted might not have been possible (at least what I thought). Let me tell a few of them

1 - I thought I wouldn't be able to play xvid, divx, mkv files on Iphone without converting them in itunes first and then transfer them to Iphone. I was wrong. I downloaded an app (a video player called Infuse) and it is just like drag and drop of files but done with wifi. I open up my browser and connect to the app and drag drop the files, voila, I can watch any type of video file without a single issue.

2 - Not being able to set music ringtones etc. Well there is an app for that as well, which you can create ringtones from your music files and then use itunes to merge them to iphone as ringtones. I used it only once, created about 10 ringtones and I am done with it.

3 - Not being able to see the photos/videos I took without itunes on a computer for backup etc. Well when you plug your phone to Windows 10 the Windows photos app automatically starts and I can transfer any photo/video from iphone to my computer. Just like I would do with any android phone.

For these 3 major issues I found out they are not issues at all.

Overall I do like iphone a lot. 6s+ that I am using has phenomenal battery life. Much better (actually really much better) than any android I owned, which includes the Note 7. Note 7 was the best android I owned in terms of battery life, but compared to Iphone 6s+ well there is no comparison. I would have to plug the Note 7 to charger every evening, with the same and actually more usage I can go 32 hours or so with the Iphone 6s+. I am a heavy user btw. Browse the web, check tons of emails, do work related (office-excel mainly) stuff, watch movies, play games, listen to spotify etc on a given day. Iphone 6s+ battery life is simply top notch. This can be due to lower screen resolution as I do get to use the screen a couple hours more than Note 7, but overall yes battery is amazing.

Screen on Note 7, colors, vibrancy, overall is definitely better than Iphone 6s+. Pen was a very good feature when I used it, but without it life has not changed for worse. I loved the ease of scrolling on chrome in Note 7 or any android phone for a fact, and I can not use chrome on Iphone because there are no ad-blocking apps that support it so far, but Safari works very good (except scrolling speed which I think is intentionally done by Apple).

Samsung definitely had a better camera, no doubts about that. 7 plus now has f1.8 which will help, but I still think Samsung camera is a step ahead there. I don't like how Apple has no directory option for photos. Everything goes to photostream which is annoying. The settings etc take time to get used to for sure. Android I think has it better, easier to use.

Samsung Note 7 also had lag at times, not a major issue, but sometimes it would lag just a tiny bit to be an annoyance because it is the top of the line for Android. Iphone not a single issue so far. Everything just works flawlessly. I always though Samsung puts way too much on their own skin on top of Android which kinda messes up the android experience. I can definitely understand to say "cheese" "smile" to take a selfie photo but then when you add palm gestures that is extra layer to Android which now forces to work on the background which causes issues in fluidity. I wish Iphone 6s+ that I am loaned now had that feature (say cheese or smile to take a selfie).

Fingerprint sensor is much faster in Iphone, no denying that, this is due to the round shape vs oval shape as I have bigger fingerprint than average person out there due to being tall etc. I heard great things about Nexus 6p sensor as well as it is round and at the back. Never used it though.

Close all is not available for previous open apps, nor split screen. I love those two features of Samsung and Android in general, especially for bigger screens. I would watch youtube videos and browse the web at the same time, which meant true multi-tasking.

Overall I am surprised by the Iphone 6s+ and enjoying it pretty well. I plan to get the 7+ instead of the Note 7. And my whole intention is to keep the phone for at least 3 years and know that I will be getting software updates. I was sick and tired of waiting for the newest android version to be released by LG, Samsung etc, and then after 2 years you don't get any more releases (if you are luck that is, most android manufacturers don't even bother to upgrade the software the second time).

Switching platforms was fairly easy as well, but it took some time to setup. The photos etc are cloud based nowadays, music as well. The contacts didn't populate on Iphone but when I added google account they were all there. Messages were transferred with move to ios app, the apps were not downloaded but showed up on app store etc.

And also the apps on Iphone are definitely better than their android versions. Lesser ads, more fluid and you can control what they can do or not do much better.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I got a loaner from T-mobile due to Note 7 issues, an Iphone 6s+ with crappy 16gb version.

Meanwhile I am super impressed with the iphone. Note that this is the first ever Iphone that I have ever used. Have been a die-hard android fan since the beginning. I had many doubts about Iphone to switch or not, how closed it is and that certain things I wanted might not have been possible (at least what I thought). Let me tell a few of them

1 - I thought I wouldn't be able to play xvid, divx, mkv files on Iphone without converting them in itunes first and then transfer them to Iphone. I was wrong. I downloaded an app (a video player called Infuse) and it is just like drag and drop of files but done with wifi. I open up my browser and connect to the app and drag drop the files, voila, I can watch any type of video file without a single issue.

2 - Not being able to set music ringtones etc. Well there is an app for that as well, which you can create ringtones from your music files and then use itunes to merge them to iphone as ringtones. I used it only once, created about 10 ringtones and I am done with it.

3 - Not being able to see the photos/videos I took without itunes on a computer for backup etc. Well when you plug your phone to Windows 10 the Windows photos app automatically starts and I can transfer any photo/video from iphone to my computer. Just like I would do with any android phone.

For these 3 major issues I found out they are not issues at all.

Overall I do like iphone a lot. 6s+ that I am using has phenomenal battery life. Much better (actually really much better) than any android I owned, which includes the Note 7. Note 7 was the best android I owned in terms of battery life, but compared to Iphone 6s+ well there is no comparison. I would have to plug the Note 7 to charger every evening, with the same and actually more usage I can go 32 hours or so with the Iphone 6s+. I am a heavy user btw. Browse the web, check tons of emails, do work related (office-excel mainly) stuff, watch movies, play games, listen to spotify etc on a given day. Iphone 6s+ battery life is simply top notch. This can be due to lower screen resolution as I do get to use the screen a couple hours more than Note 7, but overall yes battery is amazing.

Screen on Note 7, colors, vibrancy, overall is definitely better than Iphone 6s+. Pen was a very good feature when I used it, but without it life has not changed for worse. I loved the ease of scrolling on chrome in Note 7 or any android phone for a fact, and I can not use chrome on Iphone because there are no ad-blocking apps that support it so far, but Safari works very good (except scrolling speed which I think is intentionally done by Apple).

Samsung definitely had a better camera, no doubts about that. 7 plus now has f1.8 which will help, but I still think Samsung camera is a step ahead there. I don't like how Apple has no directory option for photos. Everything goes to photostream which is annoying. The settings etc take time to get used to for sure. Android I think has it better, easier to use.

Samsung Note 7 also had lag at times, not a major issue, but sometimes it would lag just a tiny bit to be an annoyance because it is the top of the line for Android. Iphone not a single issue so far. Everything just works flawlessly. I always though Samsung puts way too much on their own skin on top of Android which kinda messes up the android experience. I can definitely understand to say "cheese" "smile" to take a selfie photo but then when you add palm gestures that is extra layer to Android which now forces to work on the background which causes issues in fluidity. I wish Iphone 6s+ that I am loaned now had that feature (say cheese or smile to take a selfie).

Fingerprint sensor is much faster in Iphone, no denying that, this is due to the round shape vs oval shape as I have bigger fingerprint than average person out there due to being tall etc. I heard great things about Nexus 6p sensor as well as it is round and at the back. Never used it though.

Close all is not available for previous open apps, nor split screen. I love those two features of Samsung and Android in general, especially for bigger screens. I would watch youtube videos and browse the web at the same time, which meant true multi-tasking.

Overall I am surprised by the Iphone 6s+ and enjoying it pretty well. I plan to get the 7+ instead of the Note 7. And my whole intention is to keep the phone for at least 3 years and know that I will be getting software updates. I was sick and tired of waiting for the newest android version to be released by LG, Samsung etc, and then after 2 years you don't get any more releases (if you are luck that is, most android manufacturers don't even bother to upgrade the software the second time).

Switching platforms was fairly easy as well, but it took some time to setup. The photos etc are cloud based nowadays, music as well. The contacts didn't populate on Iphone but when I added google account they were all there. Messages were transferred with move to ios app, the apps were not downloaded but showed up on app store etc.

And also the apps on Iphone are definitely better than their android versions. Lesser ads, more fluid and you can control what they can do or not do much better.

I also got a 16GB 6 Plus as a loaner, and was quite impressed with iOS. I used it long enough to know I could live with it, but there are some things that still bug me about it. The lack of a back button wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just took a little getting used to. I wish the apps were more universal as some have a swipe feature, others do not and you have to reach up to the upper left corner for the back arrow. The other one, and the one that bugs me the most yet matters the least when it comes to actual operation and use of the phone, is you can't NOT auto arrange your home screen. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen! I get the total sandboxing and security measures implemented to keep users from being their own worst enemies, but this has no bearing on any of that. You can't wreck your phone by moving your apps around lol

What I did like was Google services running on iOS. It gave me a very good experience, and it was fairly seamless. All my photos, notes, and docs right there. I liked that the entire experience was consistent and the OS worked smoothly. Notifications were OK, and while I don't consider what's on the leftwise screen true widgets, they work as advertised.

I wouldn't go so far to say the iOS versions of all apps are better, but they are nice to look at and work very well. Some of the things that irked me in their Android counterparts weren't there, but as always, YMMV.

I went back to the Note 7 when the replacements arrived, but at least now I have a better understanding of iOS and how it works, and what does, and doesn't work well for me.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy for you that you found something you're content with. So at this point, why not join the conversations with the iPhone owners over at imore? Obviously you're welcome here to shoot the breeze with us and to keep up on the Note 7 news, but if your posts are just going to be attacking the Note 7, what's the point? You're happy, we're happy.

I've never attached the N7. I owned the N7 love it, but was asked to return it.
I hand out over at iMore as well...since I have a iPhone now.

hblaze

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Most Note 7 users I know went with an S7 Edge instead. Don't know anyone who went to iPhone. I chose to go with the Pixel XL.

hblaze

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree 100% with what you said, but I will also add resale value. No other smartphone holds it's resale value like an iPhone, and that's important to those that sell their devices in order to purchase a new device.
That's not true. Nexus and Galaxy phones have held good resale value in the past. And using iOS is vastly different than Android. Everything from notifications to Google Now... Going to iOS feels like a step backwards.

hblaze

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You know, I see this argument a lot, but I really don't think it's relevant. It helps to understand 1 factor of several that leads to better battery life, but other than that it's just sort of FYI ...

If you think the iPhone has a good enough display (and IMO it does for the most part, it's a nice, bright, accurate screen), then what does it matter to that iPhone user that one factor of the good battery life is lower resolution . It doesn't matter to the iPhone user at all. They love their phone, they love their display, they love their battery life.

I am probably not articulating my point very well here, but I guess I am saying when I see responses like "of course the battery life is better, the screen resolution is lower" I never feel like that should matter unless I am a pixel peeper who absolutely has to have a super dense display for some reason..
They also notice how much better Galaxy S7 & Note 7 displays look next to theirs... It's a significant difference. Especially outdoors.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2