We need a topic besides Recall stuff, so here goes.

At work, I always keep my phone muted. I hate having to listen to other people's phones bleep and blurp, or ring. So out of courtesy to others, I keep mine muted. The ringer is on vibrate, but everything should be muted.

This morning I accidentally launched an app I didn't intend (Ishtar Commander, in case you're familiar with the game "Destiny" on Playstation and XBox), and it promptly sounded out at FULL FREAKIN' VOLUMN it's opening dialog crap. After apologizing to everybody within about 50' and doing my best to not snap the f'ing phone in two, I verified that it was in fact muted (it was) and dug into the Settings to figure out what was up. Turns out Media Volume is a separate setting and isn't controlled by anything else. So setting Sounds the OFF in the status bar HAS NO EFFECT ON THIS. This is ridiculous. I set Media volume to ZERO.

Is this a GN7 thing or an Android thing in general? It's damn irritating.
    09-20-2016 10:19 AM
    Been there, done that. I believe it's a Samsung TouchWiz thing. It might be an Android thing, but I can't remember how it was on my Nexus 6P.
    09-20-2016 10:47 AM
    That's how it is on my Note 4, mute = ringtone/notification only.
    09-20-2016 10:49 AM
    I didn't know but glad to have learned this (though sorry at your expense). Question...would Do Not Disturb turn off the media volume? And if it doesn't, then what's the difference between DND and just silencing?
    09-20-2016 10:56 AM
    Hmmm interesting thought. DND SHOULD mute everything. That could be the ticket, I suppose.. extend it through my workday instead of just at night.
    09-20-2016 11:00 AM
    Hmmm interesting thought. DND SHOULD mute everything. That could be the ticket, I suppose.. extend it through my workday instead of just at night.
    I use DND a LOT. It is great, and very very flexible with exceptions if needed.
    09-20-2016 11:41 AM
    All I know is every Sunday when I get to church, I immediately check my ringtone volume, AND media separately just to be sure. I wish it was easier to mute everything.
    09-20-2016 11:53 AM
    I don't have any programs that I know will use media volume so hoping the OP or someone else can check the DND and confirm/deny that setting mutes media in addition to ringer and notifications. Also... Does DND stop LED notifications?
    09-20-2016 08:42 PM
    I don't have any programs that I know will use media volume so hoping the OP or someone else can check the DND and confirm/deny that setting mutes media in addition to ringer and notifications. Also... Does DND stop LED notifications?
    You don't have You Tube on your phone? No DND does not stop the LED notifications.
    09-20-2016 09:58 PM
    We need a topic besides Recall stuff, so here goes.

At work, I always keep my phone muted. I hate having to listen to other people's phones bleep and blurp, or ring. So out of courtesy to others, I keep mine muted. The ringer is on vibrate, but everything should be muted.

This morning I accidentally launched an app I didn't intend (Ishtar Commander, in case you're familiar with the game "Destiny" on Playstation and XBox), and it promptly sounded out at FULL FREAKIN' VOLUMN it's opening dialog crap. After apologizing to everybody within about 50' and doing my best to not snap the f'ing phone in two, I verified that it was in fact muted (it was) and dug into the Settings to figure out what was up. Turns out Media Volume is a separate setting and isn't controlled by anything else. So setting Sounds the OFF in the status bar HAS NO EFFECT ON THIS. This is ridiculous. I set Media volume to ZERO.

Is this a GN7 thing or an Android thing in general? It's damn irritating.
    I use a widget called "Volume Control Widget" by Serkun. You can control the volume for Alarms, multimedia, voice-calls, notifications, system and ringer separately.

Sound Controls-screenshot_20160920-200240.jpg
    09-20-2016 10:05 PM
    You don't have You Tube on your phone? No DND does not stop the LED notifications.
    Ok didn't think about YouTube and yes, I do, and no... DND doesn't mute the sound for it.

So am I missing something...sounds like DND is the same as silent when using the speaker icon? Or does DND turn off pop up notifications? Not sure I'm understanding its use except for the schedule part.
    09-21-2016 04:06 AM