View Poll Results: How important are OS updates to you?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Critical - I won't buy a phone that doesn't get timely updates!

2 40.00%
  • Kind of important, but I don't base my buying decisions on it

2 40.00%
  • Not very important. Good to have them, but not a big deal.

1 20.00%
  • Don't really care much at all. Just want the best phone.

0 0%
    Recent articles about the October 4th Pixel/Nexus release got me thinking about OS updates. I wonder if I am in the minority around here or not, but for the most part they just don’t matter to me anymore. This is particularly true owning a Note 7. I’ll explain why.

Android is quite a mature platform now (as is iOS by the way). It feels to me like most of the new platform releases do not contain anything that I cannot wait for. They all bring something good at some level (better security, more efficiency, maybe a few consumer facing features such as split screen, etc). Still, none of those things are items that would make me what to purchase a different phone so that I can get them, faster. And let’s face it, that is the reason to get a Nexus phone (Pixel, I know) - updates. The Nexus phones never have the best screen, ever have the best battery life, never the best software features (unless you consider “pure” Android a feature, I do not), or the best hardware. They simply have the newest software. And for me, I don’t care. The Notes have split screen, and many other features that stock Android doesn’t have.

People will talk about speedy security updates, which are important to an extent, but again IMO somewhat overblown. I have had Android phones since the OG Droid and never had any security issues or viruses or anything like that. If I don’t get an October security patch until December, I think I’ll live through it OK. Again, for me, this is not a reason to get a Nexus phone. I think the doze updates are interesting and potentially helpful, but again, I can wait a bit.

Another argument might be that stock Android phones are faster, and that is almost definitely true. Also true? They are boring as hell IMO :-) . I will take my tricked out Note 7 any day over a stock Android phone.

There are a fair number of folks – especially in these forums and on tech sites – who might consider this blasphemy, but I truly don’t care all that much about updates as they pertain to modern flagship phones. This is because the platforms are mature, because the phones can do every, single, thing I want right now, and because the software has reached a level of maturity that makes new updates very nice, but ultimately not critical enough for me to consider using a Nexus phone solely for update purposes. The Android purists will certainly not agree, but I bet I am in the VAST majority of overall phone users out there, though perhaps in the minority in tech circles.
    Jona005 likes this.
    09-20-2016 12:29 PM
    I agree with your assessment. When I first had a Nexus phone I thought it was pretty cool to be first in line for updates, but over time I started caring less and less about it. The majority of updates these days aren't anything earth-shattering, so I don't have the feeling that I'm missing out on much from 7.0 right now. With that said, Samsung has gotten pretty good with releasing the monthly security patch updates for their current phones and security is basically all I care about regarding these updates.
    09-20-2016 12:46 PM
    Samsung has had everything Google updates to for many years....buying a Samsung phone is buying an update since everything possible is included in their software. ...who cares about boring vanilla android
    09-20-2016 12:58 PM
    Samsung has had everything Google updates to for many years....buying a Samsung phone is buying an update since everything possible is included in their software. ...who cares about boring vanilla android
    Well, I am not sure that Samsung gets all the updates, but they do have a lot of unique software. For example, they have have split screen, but it doesn't work with every app. When will they incorporate Google's version - if ever? There are other examples. I don't feel Samsung phones get the latest software, my point is that I don't need the latest software immediately when it is released anymore because the platform is so good already that I can wait a bit.
    09-20-2016 04:22 PM
    I'm with you too. Immediate updates are a non issue to me either. I am far more interested in any Android phone I use being supported with os updates for a good number of years though. Far more critical.
    dsignori likes this.
    09-20-2016 05:53 PM