Replacement Note 7 - Double Bar Code Stickers on Box - Refurbished Phone?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Picked up my replacement Note 7 from Verizon yesterday and the first thing I noticed is the double bar code stickers on the box. The sticker underneath has the same IMEI number as the new sticker with the new little black square.

I'm thinking that Samsung had these phones already made and ready to ship to carriers when the battery fiasco came up.
I believe that Samsung pulled these "New" phones, ripped them open, exchanged batteries, covered original bar code sticker up with new "little black box" stickers and shipped to carriers as new replacements.

Don't get me wrong, the phone looks and smells new but I would consider that a refurbished phone. :(

I know most people won't care but I purchased a "New" phone, I don't do refurbished.

If you got the double bar code sticker, let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My box has the new barcode sticker over the old one also. Phone Info app says phone is original and not refurb. VZW version.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, just found it and mine also says original.
I don't think Samsung would mark the phones as refurbished as they are pushing them off as brand new.
I believe that they are pulling a sneaky battery switch though. :( Why the double labels with same IMEI's ?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, just found it and mine also says original.
I don't think Samsung would mark the phones as refurbished as they are pushing them off as brand new.
I believe that they are pulling a sneaky battery switch though. :( Why the double labels with same IMEI's ?
My guess would be because those particular phones were already manufactured and ready to go without the suspect battery. So in order to ease everyone's minds and make it easy to spot the safe Note 7s they came up with the "black square" label and just slapped it over the old one.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
The way these phones are put together, I would highly doubt they're pulling them apart and swapping the battery.

It would go from mass production to very slow production and open up a world of quality issues messing with old adhesive

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Technically even if they had to open the phone and replace some components, if it never left the factory that is little more than a QA swap of "Factory Failed" components. it would not be considered a "referb". if it left the factory and was returned then it could be considered "factory refurbished"

Cheers,
BR

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe it can't be a refurbished device as it would be illegal for them to sell them as a "new" device. Since they're replacing the bad one you're still paying (or paid) for the new phone so that is what they have to sell you. Especially with the government already involved I doubt they would try and pull one like that.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
When you look in that phone info app what is the different between the Manufacture & Build dates?

Mine has a Manufacture date of 09-01-2016 and a Build date of Sat Sept 17 00:32:17 KST 2016

How can the build date be newer then the manufacture date?

Matt Gatewood

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't think there is a government definition of 'Refurbished'. The only thing that manufacturers and retailers cannot do is sell an item that has been previously sold as 'new'. Anything that was in Samsung's, a carrier's or retailer's inventory when they stopped sales could be sent back to Samsung for a replacement battery. I expect that those units will be sold a 'New' because they were not previously sold to a consumer.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is a government definition of 'Refurbished'. The only thing that manufacturers and retailers cannot do is sell an item that has been previously sold as 'new'. Anything that was in Samsung's, a carrier's or retailer's inventory when they stopped sales could be sent back to Samsung for a replacement battery. I expect that those units will be sold a 'New' because they were not previously sold to a consumer.

They probably took back the 1.5MM units that were in the wild but not yet sold and put them into two piles; 1) batteries OK, 2) batteries not OK. Then they put a new sticker on pile #1 and shipped them right back out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie