I am new to android, been an ios guy since the 3GS dropped. Purchased the Note 7 (love it), recall/replacement was picked up yesterday and configuration was "supposedly" copied over to new phone.....DISASTER!! Apps that were in folders didn't come back, all of my customization's (animations off, developer mode, voice activation on camera, game settings etc) were lost. Music that was on the SD card, once it was unmounted....all gone, pictures came over fine. The only thing I didn't have to do was go back to the google store and download apps again. Apple phones when replaced absolutely no issues. Is this the norm with android? I cannot go through this again!! Thanks in advance for any help given.
    09-21-2016 01:51 PM
    I think with a lot of those issues (animations, developer mode, game settings, etc.), you're just out of luck. The Smart Switch will copy many things, but it does not "clone" your old phone.
    I use Nova Launcher (Prime) as my launcher, and you can back up screen configuration and many of the (Nova) customizations. I had my N7 replacement looking the same (wallpaper, app layout, folders, custom gestures, etc.) as my S7E within seconds after Smart Switch by using Nova's import of my Nova backup.
    09-21-2016 02:38 PM
    WOW!! OK dont know anything about nova launcher, but I'm willing to learn. This has been an absolute nightmare. Hate to be dramatic but I've switched out phones MANY times when I was with the "other" platform and it was a breeze!
    09-21-2016 02:50 PM
    You're gonna love using a different launcher. That's a big part of why I like Android more (I had a 2nd gen iPhone - rooted many moons ago). Especially useful for large screen phones is assigning the swipe-down gesture to expand notification shade. You can swipe down anywhere on the home screen to pull down the shade, no more stretching your thumb all the way to the top of the screen. Gestures are only available with Prime, but it's well worth the money, IMO. There's too many options to list here, but search around these forums for Nova and hopefully you're impressed by the customization options!

But, yeah, Apple makes swapping way easier.
    09-21-2016 03:00 PM
    The other day before I exchanged my phone I backed it up to the Samsung Cloud under Settings / Accounts / Backup my data. When I got the new one, I signed into my Google account and let it do its thing (let it settle for an hour or so). I then went to the "Restore" option under Settings / Accounts and let it download. That brought back my wallpaper, texts and other items. Unfortunately some things didn't quite restore (like some of my "Apps edge" shortcuts). Those two steps got me 90% back to where I was before.

When I got the first Note 7 I used the Smart Switch app along with the supplied adapter and cable to transfer my data from my old Note 4 to the N7. I got similar results.
    09-21-2016 03:58 PM
    .... search around these forums for Nova and hopefully you're impressed by the customization options! ...
    I second that. I have been using Nova Launcher for years. Currently (since I got my N7) I am test driving TouchWiz to give it a chance before I decide to switch back to Nova. It's not too bad so far.
    lizardchest likes this.
    09-21-2016 04:03 PM
    I am trying to move information from my iPhone to my Note 7. I am using the lightning cable with the large usb 3.0 plug. The note says connecting but never does. Any clues?
    09-21-2016 07:00 PM