Always on Display has gone from beautiful to ugly with green battery icon

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Isn't it enough that the battery icon at the top of the phone is green now? Why the always-on display too? It's downright ugly, especially if you colored your AOD as the green clashes.

I kinda like it reminds me of my old Samsung Galaxy gs3 icon heck my other friends with there n7 are anxiously waiting for theirs

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Always on Display has gone from beautiful to hideous with green battery icon

Yes, seriously.

Because some of us don't want neon green on our AOD... especially if we've chosen one of the gradient clock color options and have a coral blue phone. It's not a huge deal, it's just very ugly and ruins any chance of the colors on your AOD matching, especially if your phone is coral blue.

I posted two photos... they're pending moderator approval.

Hey I have the blue corol to and to be honest it's kinda cool makes us different

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
LegalAmerican, you are on to something! That would have been a great idea! However, they didn't - I see "tourbound129's" point, only on the AOD screen. It doesn't bother me at the top edge at all. I have an all white AOD with a really nice Dragon's Skull and all of a sudden, there's this green spec... it just kind of sticks out, that's all. It serves a necessary purpose and I will live with it for that reason. Hopefully, the word gets out to Airlines and the general public so our ugly Green Specs really serve their purpose now?

I'm by no means terribly bothered by it. I don't like it, but I can ignore it easily enough. I just remember the days of Gingerbread and ICS and how everyone was so excited to get rid of the ugly green battery and other colors in the notification. It looked SO much better to have it all in that ICS blue hue. So much more uniform. Now, it just kind of feel like a step backward on a device that's now no longer a threat. That's simply why I wish the update could have changed the defective units. They could just as easily have told the airports that the defective ones had a different icon that they could check for.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I get why they wanted to make a visual change. But why not keep the color white, but go with a circular icon instead? Many custom ROMs have this option.

supreme8124

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I read an article this morning that said Google has a rule that companies or developers can not change icon color in status bar. They have to stay white, article went on to say Google makers of Android gave Samsung an exemexemption. Samsung showed a new battery icon that will come out in an update, did not say when. The new icon is green outlined in white, with white indicators in Middle of battery, looks better.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Is this seriously a thing lol....I mean your phone works who cares......my 2nd day in with the update and I don't even notice the battery icon.....

Yes it's a thing. People have opinions, you'll get used to that just as you have the icon. Why has anyone cared about visual changes to Android since Froyo? I mean, the phone works, doesn't it? So who cares if they make visual changes to improve the software?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm tempted to go to the effort of taking down the screen names of EVERYONE here who can't understand why some people don't love the green battery icon, and re-visit that list the next time people whine about visuals in TouchWiz and how they hate these colors or that color, or if they comment on a great new visual update to Android when Nougat is released.

No one is saying that they're soaking their pillows at night over this icon, simply that they preferred the uniform white icons. How is it that people don't realize that there are others who enjoy what they enjoy for reasons that may differ from you? Everyone here knows it's a "#firstworldproblem" and obviously life could be worse than this, but so what. I bet 95% of everything you folks talk about with your friends and coworkers on a daily basis is a "first world problem".

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm tempted to go to the effort of taking down the screen names of EVERYONE here who can't understand why some people don't love the green battery icon, and re-visit that list the next time people whine about visuals in TouchWiz and how they hate these colors or that color, or if they comment on a great new visual update to Android when Nougat is released.

No one is saying that they're soaking their pillows at night over this icon, simply that they preferred the uniform white icons. How is it that people don't realize that there are others who enjoy what they enjoy for reasons that may differ from you? Everyone here knows it's a "#firstworldproblem" and obviously life could be worse than this, but so what. I bet 95% of everything you folks talk about with your friends and coworkers on a daily basis is a "first world problem".

No, he said it made the AOD "ugly". A small icon. That's not just saying he prefers the icon, that's saying it changes the entire aesthetic. A change which, by the way, allows you to easily show people you have a safe phone.

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Always on Display has gone from beautiful to hideous with green battery icon

Yes, seriously.

Because some of us don't want neon green on our AOD... especially if we've chosen one of the gradient clock color options and have a coral blue phone. It's not a huge deal, it's just very ugly and ruins any chance of the colors on your AOD matching, especially if your phone is coral blue.

I posted two photos... they're pending moderator approval.

We have Coral Blue Notes and changed to blue display and background.Looks ok to me. Kinda like it.
Edit:
LegalAmerican , you can put my name on your list. lol

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Does the green battery on the always on display use more battery life than white? Or is lighting up pixels using the same amount of battery regardless of color?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No, he said it made the AOD "ugly". A small icon. That's not just saying he prefers the icon, that's saying it changes the entire aesthetic. A change which, by the way, allows you to easily show people you have a safe phone.

Oh. Well in that case, we better teach him a lesson!!!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's my Black Replacement with my white Dragon Skull, white text, white alarm clock and the Green Safety Battery! It's doing a job but it is aesthetically out of place to me... as I said before, to get me in and out of places without a hassle, I'll live with it!

B&W_Note_7.jpg

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech