Replacement Note 7s have improved better software?

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
So, I got my replacement Note 7 yesterday and...I don't know if it's just a placebo effect in my head, but I feel like these new ones have improved software. I wonder if Samsung made some changes in the update pushed to show the green battery icon. It was 400 mb, after all. I'm finding my phone unlocks as soon as I press the home button whereas with my old Note 7, I had to press the home button and then press it again to unlock with my thumbprint or keep it held down after the screen turned on. Now, I can press it once real quick and it unlocks. The notification shade seems to work differently now as well. If you have multiple notifications from the same app, it creates a little drop-down arrow to expand it which I'm pretty sure the previous Note 7s didn't do. The app drawer also has the option to just always have apps in Alphabetical order. The previous ones couldn't do that either, you had to keep putting it in Alphabetical every time you downloaded a new app. There's also a "Block Notifications" option right on the notification shade which lets you block notifications from apps on the fly. And they also added an option to show or hide the secure folder right in the notification shade which wasn't there previously. Just a few things I noticed after playing around with it after not having it for a few weeks.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure which version you have but with my T-Mobile version the difference is night and day. Maybe I had a faulty one at launch but the launch one had all kinds of lag right out the box. First night charging it I quickly noticed it was quite possibly the hottest device I ever touch.

Now with my new replacement device I get none of those issues and it runs smooth as butter.

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure which version you have but with my T-Mobile version the difference is night and day. Maybe I had a faulty one at launch but the launch one had all kinds of lag right out the box. First night charging it I quickly noticed it was quite possibly the hottest device I ever touch.

Now with my new replacement device I get none of those issues and it runs smooth as butter.

Yep, I have the T-Mo Note 7. My previous 7 didn't really have any issues that I noticed, but this one does seem to run a lot better for me and has a way longer battery life even after just a day of heavy use.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Same here I had two from Verizon that I used all the way till I exchanged them two days ago. And I feel these new ones are a lot snappier. They must have improved them in some way.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a pretty good article explaining what was changed.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 software update: More than just a green battery icon | ZDNet

The day after picking up my coral blue Note 7 from T-Mobile, a 404.67MB update appeared. We heard that this update was designed to change the battery icon from white to green so that it was clear to people that this was not a Note 7 with a faulty battery.

It turns out that Samsung included more goodies in the software update that add some value to your Note 7 experience.

Here is what the change log identifies:

User interface adjustments (Messages, Home screen, Quick panel,...)
Improved fingerprint recognition process
Overall device performance has been improved
The security of your device has been improved
A software update can include, but is not limited to: device stability improvements, new and/or enhanced features, and further improvements to performance.
USER INTERFACE ADJUSTMENTS
note-7-sw-update-1.jpg
Three screen resolution options exist for you to choose.

While not specifically identified in the change log, I found that Samsung pulled the screen resolution setting option out from being hidden deep in the battery power saving modes. You can now simply go to Settings>Display>Screen resolution. Three options exist for you to choose, and by using a lower resolution, you will see some amount of extended battery life. The options include HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080), and WQHD (2560x1440). I switched to FHD and honestly cannot tell a difference between it and WQHD. Previously, the battery mode informed me I would extend my battery life 45 minutes using this change.

As I previously wrote, much of what you can find in Android Nougat can be found on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. One aspect of Nougat is the ability for an Android device to function like an iPhone with 3D (aka Force) Touch. This software update lets you press and hold on an app icon or folder on a home screen panel to initiate a pop-up with a couple options.

note-7-sw-update-2.jpg
This software update lets you press and hold on an app icon or folder on a home screen panel to initiate a pop-up with a couple options.

On an app shortcut, options include put to sleep, uninstall, and app info. This works for app shortcuts on the home screen or within folders. On a folder, an option to add apps to the folder appears. While these are very limited actions, the potential for developers to enhance actions may be possible.

The notification shade also changed a bit to where you will now see the words 'Block Notifications' appear to the left of 'Clear All' at the bottom of the shade. Tapping Block Notifications will then let you quickly toggle off notifications for the apps that are currently shown in your notification shade. This capability to manage your specific app notifications is also buried in settings, but this update brings them up for easier user access and use.

FINGERPRINT SCANNER PERFORMANCE
The Galaxy S7 fingerprint scanner was impressive with my previous Note 7, as they performed similarly. With this update, I swear the recognition is even faster and performance has been flawless.

SEPTEMBER ANDROID SECURITY UPDATE

Three Must-Haves for Business Mobility
More and more businesses are going mobile. Are you ready to make the switch? Here are three must-haves for success.
Sponsored by Citrix ShareFile
Prior to the Galaxy S7, Samsung did not have a great history of timely software updates. It committed to the monthly Android security program, and I've been impressed by the speed of these monthly updates. No other manufacturer has issued these updates faster than Samsung, and this software update includes the September security update.

OTHER EXPERIENCES
MORE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 7

Verizon releases software update with warning, new battery indicator
​Samsung says China explosions caused by 'external heating'
Samsung starts exchange program in the UK and Ireland
FAA: Powering on Galaxy Note 7 during flight prohibited
US govt recalls 1 million Note 7 phones
To make sure I have the best Note 7 experience, I did not restore anything, so I had to install about 50 apps and setup the new Note 7 from scratch. Previously, my Note 7 heated up as I performed this setup with it plugged into a fast charger. This time, I never noticed any warmth at all, and in my experiences after a day and a half, the Note 7 appears to run cooler.

So far, I have not noticed any lag or performance issues as I had previously experienced. I think some of those previous experiences may have been due to restoring the Note 7 from my S7 Edge, but I hope to continue to experience a flawless device with this new Note 7.

If you found other improvements or features in this software update, please share them with the rest of us in the comments.

IMPACTS OF UPDATE ON OLDER NOTE 7 UNITS
If you haven't yet replaced your Note 7, then this update will limit your charging to 60 percent and also have a pop-up appear that instructs you to shut down your phone and replace it every time you charge your Note 7. Please go visit your local carrier store and get it replaced as soon as possible. Samsung already shipped 500,000 units to stores in the US, so there should be supply available to replace your device.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a pretty good article explaining what was changed.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 software update: More than just a green battery icon | ZDNet

While not specifically identified in the change log, I found that Samsung pulled the screen resolution setting option out from being hidden deep in the battery power saving modes. You can now simply go to Settings>Display>Screen resolution. Three options exist for you to choose, and by using a lower resolution, you will see some amount of extended battery life. The options include HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080), and WQHD (2560x1440). I switched to FHD and honestly cannot tell a difference between it and WQHD. Previously, the battery mode informed me I would extend my battery life 45 minutes using this change.

I do not have the display resolution option on my Verizon Note 7. No screen resolution option in settings/display. I have the green gauge though.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The 400mb performance update is T-mobile only! It's awesome. I wondered why my new note7 was so different than my original one.

bluesboy77

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Same here I had two from Verizon that I used all the way till I exchanged them two days ago. And I feel these new ones are a lot snappier. They must have improved them in some way.

Same here, I'm on Verizon, I don't think it's a placebo effect. This replacement phone seems to be updated with things the OP listed and is a lot snappier. I'm also very happy with the battery performance so far.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Verizon apparently did not get the performance update, since none of the stuff noted shows with the Verizon model. That is unless Tmo did their own version, which would be unusual- especially now. All I got was a smaller update that seems to have created the green gauge..... Since the update noted above has the 60% charge limiter, perhaps the other carriers are getting that next.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I just somehow missed this before, but I'm noticing when I long press on an empty screen space to open the menu for Wallpapers, Widgets and Screen Grid, now I can select any of the screens to be "home" and thus I can create a screen (or two or three) to theleft of my home screen. I don't remember seeing this before?

ETA: Well I guess I DID just miss it because I'm seeing it on the Galaxy S7, too. I swear I don't remember this before though.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Verizon apparently did not get the performance update, since none of the stuff noted shows with the Verizon model. That is unless Tmo did their own version, which would be unusual- especially now.

That kinda sucks. But i'm sure it's coming.

I did the update right when I got the new phone and I swear, it felt like a whole new OS after using my original N7 for a month. The changes are huge IMO and should have been this way when the phone was first released.

Cooler299

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Samsung may have updated the software on these new note 7's which I think they would have done with the previous devices as well via OTA as the Phone is still kind of new and such improvement updates are always expected. Also the unusual heating of the previous devices might have also hampered the performance of the device and thus the lags. Glad to know that Samsung has taken care of these issues.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
That kinda sucks. But i'm sure it's coming.

We are talking about Verizon here. I'm not holding my breath. A-holes. I'd love to have the screen display capability (NOT buried in the battery settings). Which means we are assured not to get it (because I feel like the things I REALLY want on a Verizon phone seem to always be what they do away with...and I'm going back a few years. This isn't my first rodeo with them on this kind of thing).

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung may have updated the software on these new note 7's which I think they would have done with the previous devices as well via OTA as the Phone is still kind of new and such improvement updates are always expected. Also the unusual heating of the previous devices might have also hampered the performance of the device and thus the lags. Glad to know that Samsung has taken care of these issues.

Yeah, I didn't notice heating issues, but I didn't have it too long before I stopped using it. Wish I would have paid attention. The replacement only got a little warm while I was downloading all my stuff again, it's be great since then.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine shows made on 9/03, so is a new one too. Looks like Tmo got an update first. The assumption being the update has the 60% limiter and Samsung wants all carriers to have that in order to cover as many of the recalled devices as possible. "Assumption" of course has three key letters (the first three).

I would like the resolution change to be a stand alone option. With power saving mode, even if you just turn on the resolution change, some apps state the power saving mode needs turned off before use. GIF creation is an example.

StLucia

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Can't notice a difference at at all between pre & post update (other than the green battery icon).
Also, my old recalled Note7 ran fine. Can't notice a difference between the old & my replacement either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol