Replacement Note 7s have improved better software?

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Can't notice a difference at at all between pre & post update (other than the green battery icon).
Also, my old recalled Note7 ran fine. Can't notice a difference between the old & my replacement either.

The 400mb performance software update is only on T-Mobile.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
We are talking about Verizon here. I'm not holding my breath. A-holes. I'd love to have the screen display capability (NOT buried in the battery settings). Which means we are assured not to get it (because I feel like the things I REALLY want on a Verizon phone seem to always be what they do away with...and I'm going back a few years. This isn't my first rodeo with them on this kind of thing).

Curious...why does Verizon continue to get your hard earned dollar? I ask because I am with Sprint and have been for a long time. Verizon has better coverage where I live, but there is no way I would put up with their crap. Plus, when I don't have a good Sprint signal I roam on Verizon for free :D

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There is no screen resolution setting in the Verizon Note 7 but the phone is way faster and has exceptional battery life.

None of the several features noted in the update are in the VZW Note 7. Again, if the 60% limit thingy is in that update, the other carriers should get it as well.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The 400mb performance update is T-mobile only! It's awesome. I wondered why my new note7 was so different than my original one.

Leave it to ***** Verizon to gimp useful changes. I really hate that company. The only reason I stay with it is because my wife refuses to change.

wcupk

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
This is a pretty good article explaining what was changed.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 software update: More than just a green battery icon | ZDNet

The day after picking up my coral blue Note 7 from T-Mobile, a 404.67MB update appeared. We heard that this update was designed to change the battery icon from white to green so that it was clear to people that this was not a Note 7 with a faulty battery.

It turns out that Samsung included more goodies in the software update that add some value to your Note 7 experience.

Here is what the change log identifies:

User interface adjustments (Messages, Home screen, Quick panel,...)
Improved fingerprint recognition process
Overall device performance has been improved
The security of your device has been improved
A software update can include, but is not limited to: device stability improvements, new and/or enhanced features, and further improvements to performance.
USER INTERFACE ADJUSTMENTS
note-7-sw-update-1.jpg
Three screen resolution options exist for you to choose.

While not specifically identified in the change log, I found that Samsung pulled the screen resolution setting option out from being hidden deep in the battery power saving modes. You can now simply go to Settings>Display>Screen resolution. Three options exist for you to choose, and by using a lower resolution, you will see some amount of extended battery life. The options include HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080), and WQHD (2560x1440). I switched to FHD and honestly cannot tell a difference between it and WQHD. Previously, the battery mode informed me I would extend my battery life 45 minutes using this change.

As I previously wrote, much of what you can find in Android Nougat can be found on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. One aspect of Nougat is the ability for an Android device to function like an iPhone with 3D (aka Force) Touch. This software update lets you press and hold on an app icon or folder on a home screen panel to initiate a pop-up with a couple options.

note-7-sw-update-2.jpg
This software update lets you press and hold on an app icon or folder on a home screen panel to initiate a pop-up with a couple options.

On an app shortcut, options include put to sleep, uninstall, and app info. This works for app shortcuts on the home screen or within folders. On a folder, an option to add apps to the folder appears. While these are very limited actions, the potential for developers to enhance actions may be possible.

The notification shade also changed a bit to where you will now see the words 'Block Notifications' appear to the left of 'Clear All' at the bottom of the shade. Tapping Block Notifications will then let you quickly toggle off notifications for the apps that are currently shown in your notification shade. This capability to manage your specific app notifications is also buried in settings, but this update brings them up for easier user access and use.

FINGERPRINT SCANNER PERFORMANCE
The Galaxy S7 fingerprint scanner was impressive with my previous Note 7, as they performed similarly. With this update, I swear the recognition is even faster and performance has been flawless.

SEPTEMBER ANDROID SECURITY UPDATE

Three Must-Haves for Business Mobility
More and more businesses are going mobile. Are you ready to make the switch? Here are three must-haves for success.
Sponsored by Citrix ShareFile
Prior to the Galaxy S7, Samsung did not have a great history of timely software updates. It committed to the monthly Android security program, and I've been impressed by the speed of these monthly updates. No other manufacturer has issued these updates faster than Samsung, and this software update includes the September security update.

OTHER EXPERIENCES
MORE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 7

Verizon releases software update with warning, new battery indicator
​Samsung says China explosions caused by 'external heating'
Samsung starts exchange program in the UK and Ireland
FAA: Powering on Galaxy Note 7 during flight prohibited
US govt recalls 1 million Note 7 phones
To make sure I have the best Note 7 experience, I did not restore anything, so I had to install about 50 apps and setup the new Note 7 from scratch. Previously, my Note 7 heated up as I performed this setup with it plugged into a fast charger. This time, I never noticed any warmth at all, and in my experiences after a day and a half, the Note 7 appears to run cooler.

So far, I have not noticed any lag or performance issues as I had previously experienced. I think some of those previous experiences may have been due to restoring the Note 7 from my S7 Edge, but I hope to continue to experience a flawless device with this new Note 7.

If you found other improvements or features in this software update, please share them with the rest of us in the comments.

IMPACTS OF UPDATE ON OLDER NOTE 7 UNITS
If you haven't yet replaced your Note 7, then this update will limit your charging to 60 percent and also have a pop-up appear that instructs you to shut down your phone and replace it every time you charge your Note 7. Please go visit your local carrier store and get it replaced as soon as possible. Samsung already shipped 500,000 units to stores in the US, so there should be supply available to replace your device.

maybe i am blind but where on the verzon version can i find the screen resolution screen? I don't see it under display

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
That's insane. The screen resolution should be a main feature on all of the phones. Not a T Mobile exclusive...

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
i have noticed on the new note 7 that when i select something and it gives me different options to open the item with, what ever i select is automatically set as the default. The first Note 7 gave me to the option to make default or just have to option to chose each time. not sure if it's a New Note 7 software change or the OTA update change. AT&T version.

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I still have an old note 7, still waiting for my replacement, and I can still charge phone to 100℅. This is after the new update I did last night. Just an FYI.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
i have noticed on the new note 7 that when i select something and it gives me different options to open the item with, what ever i select is automatically set as the default. The first Note 7 gave me to the option to make default or just have to option to chose each time. not sure if it's a New Note 7 software change or the OTA update change. AT&T version.

That works the same way it used to. It has not changed, at least on the AT&T version. As before, you set the desired behavior under Settings > Applications > Default Applications

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Got mine an hour ago from Best Buy and took 4 hours (AT&Ts) fault. After an update for the green battery indicator I'm good to go. Phone itself feels lighter than old one I compared to the 2. Can't tell a difference in use yet but will report back in a few days. Glad this fiasco is now over for me. Actually got a $36 credit from AT&T tonight for the upgrade. I'll take it.

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
That works if i want to set a default for each app manually. Previous AT&T version, i could select from the list that pop up each time. Now once i select one from the pop up, it's automatically set what i selected as the default. i would have to the setting and turn off the default application to get the pop up again. Such as PDFs. Sometimes i like to use Adobe. Sometimes i like to use Write PDF if i want to write on and save the PDF. I would get the option each time i open a PDF. Now, whatever app i select when the option pops up, it's now the default to use every time i open a PDF.

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
That works the same way it used to. It has not changed, at least on the AT&T version. As before, you set the desired behavior under Settings > Applications > Default Applications
That works if i want to set a default for each app manually. Previous AT&T version, i could select from the list that pop up each time. Now once i select one from the pop up, it's automatically set what i selected as the default. i would have to the setting and turn off the default application to get the pop up again. Such as PDFs. Sometimes i like to use Adobe. Sometimes i like to use Write PDF if i want to write on and save the PDF. I would get the option each time i open a PDF. Now, whatever app i select when the option pops up, it's now the default to use every time i open a PDF.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I dont think the battery life is as good as my original N7. I could get 6 hours ish on it but not this one with same settings. I think the screen resolution on the Verizon version is tied to the battery life settings. It lowers it when you change that setting for my understanding.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
On my phone once in the settings>default applications there is an option that says Default App Selection... Here you can change it to Ask or Set. Mine is Ask so when I open something I'm presenting w a list and can select only once.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Curious...why does Verizon continue to get your hard earned dollar? I ask because I am with Sprint and have been for a long time. Verizon has better coverage where I live, but there is no way I would put up with their crap. Plus, when I don't have a good Sprint signal I roam on Verizon for free :D
Fair question. I tried Sprint admitted a few years ago, and it was a horrible experience. I more recently tried T-Mobile and had high hopes but the one place I needed reliable coverage was "congested" so my speed was virtually unusable. I probably should try Sprint again because it's been quite a while but it was such a bad and frustrating experience I'm STILL not optimistic it would turn out well.
There is no screen resolution setting in the Verizon Note 7 but the phone is way faster and has exceptional battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude