09-30-2016 09:13 AM
157 12345 ...
tools
    This is true but I would rather a throttle during congested times instead of using "too much" and having Verizon send me a letter telling me to either swap plan or they will disconnect me... But I do get your point and it is the main reason I keep my grandfathered unlimited plan from T-Mobile (not the "unlimited" they offer now with toning down video quality).
    I get your point to. I was just trying to point out to some that unlimited data is worth keeping, but I would try to find a way to replace that phone or return it.

If verizon offered me 50 gigs with throttled after 50 gigs to give up my unlimited data, I might do that, I might do it for 30 gigs.
    09-23-2016 11:00 AM
    #1 those are old

#2 in your own defense you just said ... "The $80 plan ($50 base + $30 Unlimited add-on), you have unlimited high speed data and shouldn't get throttled." -- We are talking about the unlimited plan obviously not the capped ones lol. Trust me .. I know the carrier stuff like the back of my hand .
    Haha ok I was just testing ya
    Aquila likes this.
    09-23-2016 11:06 AM
    Haha ok I was just testing ya
    And if you're curious what I mean by the throttle of using more than 26 GB (even on unlimited) and being throttled down during times of congestion only see this -- Company Information | T-Mobile’s Broadband Internet Access Services. Check the "Network Management for Extremely High Data Usage and Tethering" area. All carriers do something similar to this (except Verizon).
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    09-23-2016 11:08 AM
    From what I've been reading, you'll still need to ultimately go thru a carrier. Samsung has had trouble trying to find a shipper that will accept to ship the bad phones.

You must be out of the loop. Verizon doesn't throttle LTE. They recently did sent notices to ppl that used in the top 1% of data (dudes that were using multiple TB's of data each month) had to change plans. And it was at the time speculated that number was over just 100GB usage to be flagged, but it was confirmed that 100GB was NOT the threshold and is more than likely a LOT higher. Anyways, AT&T & TMobile throttle/optimize due to network congestion or whatever they call it. Verizon UDP doesn't do any of that. I only average about 50-60GB a month anyways. A >100Gb threshold doesn't affect me.
    My bad, did not know Verizon does not throttle under the UDP plan. Regardless, you do not have your old phone to use instead for now?
    09-23-2016 11:24 AM
    From what I've been reading, you'll still need to ultimately go thru a carrier. Samsung has had trouble trying to find a shipper that will accept to ship the bad phones.

You must be out of the loop. Verizon doesn't throttle LTE. They recently did sent notices to ppl that used in the top 1% of data (dudes that were using multiple TB's of data each month) had to change plans. And it was at the time speculated that number was over just 100GB usage to be flagged, but it was confirmed that 100GB was NOT the threshold and is more than likely a LOT higher. Anyways, AT&T & TMobile throttle/optimize due to network congestion or whatever they call it. Verizon UDP doesn't do any of that. I only average about 50-60GB a month anyways. A >100Gb threshold doesn't affect me.
    Wow, I struggle to use my measly 6 GB...
    Jona005 likes this.
    09-23-2016 11:38 AM
    They recently did sent notices to ppl that used in the top 1% of data (dudes that were using multiple TB's of data each month) had to change plans
    While they did get those people it wasn't only those people. Many who do 150-200 GB got it as well.
    09-23-2016 11:43 AM
    Wow, I struggle to use my measly 6 GB...
    people managed to use multiple TB's in a single month? This is why we can't have nice things.
    09-23-2016 11:45 AM
    So I guess you're never flying anywhere with that phone?
    09-23-2016 11:48 AM
    people managed to use multiple TB's in a single month? This is why we can't have nice things.
    Most I ever used was like 18 gigs but that was on a family plan........a terabyte is crazy on a phone those people are definitely using their phone as a hotspot for their home internet lol
    Jona005 and libra89 like this.
    09-23-2016 11:52 AM

People that comment about not worth it to keep the unlimited data don't know the value of unlimited data, .
    Hmm. I look at my 2 year old and my 4 year old girls, and unlimited date simply doesn't matter to me.
    09-23-2016 12:00 PM
    Hmm. I look at my 2 year old and my 4 year old girls, and unlimited date simply doesn't matter to me.
    Hmmm, when reading my WHOLE post you will see I said to replace the phone. See below, I circled it..

09-23-2016 12:09 PM
    Hmmm, when reading my WHOLE post you will see I said to replace the phone. See below, I circled it..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...2b27d1ac5e.jpg
    But he's not talking about you. He's talking about the OP. The OP values the data plan more than the safety of those around him.
    09-23-2016 12:12 PM
    But he's not talking about you. He's talking about the OP. The OP values the data plan more than the safety of those around him.
    Well that's what I'm telling the op, even if he has to pay full price for the note 7, he is still saving almost $4,000 compared to paying for limited 100 gig a month.

I just assumed he was talking to me since he quoted my post. Just want to be clear I'm suggesting getting a new phone, but the value of unlimited data is there to pay full price if need be.
    09-23-2016 12:17 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...2b27d1ac5e.jpg
    I did read your whole post. And that's fantastic you said you would replace it. But you ALSO did say, that people don't understand the value of unlimited data. I assure you, that the vast majority of us on a website such as this, fully understand how awesome unlimited data is.

The things you circled in no way change what you said where I quoted, or what my response was. I agree with you that he should exchange it. But I don't care how "valuable" unlimited data is when my loved ones are at risk. Any risk. If I can do anything in my financial or physical capabilities to lower any risk of danger, I'll do it. Even if it's 0.1% of a chance.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-23-2016 12:19 PM
    Samsung won't replace them for free
    09-23-2016 12:20 PM
    I did read your whole post. And that's fantastic you said you would replace it. But you ALSO did say, that people don't understand the value of unlimited data. I assure you, that the vast majority of us on a website such as this, fully understand how awesome unlimited data is.

The things you circled in no way change what you said where I quoted, or what my response was. I agree with you that he should exchange it. But I don't care how "valuable" unlimited data is when my loved ones are at risk. Any risk. If I can do anything in my financial or physical capabilities to lower any risk of danger, I'll do it. Even if it's 0.1% of a chance.
    But when you read the whole post it says what you just said. You took one portion of a post and took it out of context. As a whole post we are saying the same thing, replace the phone, but in his case do it and keep his unlimited data, there's value to having the unlimited data.

But anyway, op should replace the phone. I look at my 3, 12, and 16 year old, I look at my wife and not replacing the note 7 is not an option, keeping unlimited data is an option, at least for me, I don't know if it is for op. I suggested the return note 7 which may or may not be an option for him. Someone else suggested when Samsung replaces the third party purchases phones such as eBay, give it to a relative and have them swap it out for him.
    09-23-2016 12:30 PM
    What helped me get my "Verizon, but not really" store to get my exchange was to call Samsung and grease the wheels from the backside.

I told them I was being denied an exchange... and Oh, by the way, Sammy... did you know this phone gets REALLY hot??? I've had to put it in the refrigerator a couple of times...

That got their attention.

Even though there wasn't even a process in place for this reseller, I had a new Fireproof kitten in less than 2 days; Sammy got Verizon involved, and Verizon 2nd day aired it .

This is why I believe Sammy will deal with you directly. Just tell them what a confusing ordeal it is, and ask them to exchange phones with you directly. I bet they will!

Especially when you tell them how hot that phone has been getting... (mine really was... no joke... I imagine most of them did...)

Sooner or later, your carrier will find a way to kick you off that plan anyway... but at least you won't let the recall help them.
    Jona005 and libra89 like this.
    09-23-2016 12:32 PM
    I get the thought process of "taking your chances", because we all "take our chances" each and every day when we walk out the front door. I get it, and I even made that argument when the recall was first announced. The problem in my head with that logic though, is there's just way too many unknowns. As someone else stated on a completely different thread a while back, Samsung would not have gone to these extremes if they didn't know something that we don't. This was undoubtedly a HUGE PR nightmare, and they let us use 'loaners' for one week while we waited for new ones.

Think of how hard it is to get anything new out of your carrier when your device has a problem. They are constantly shoving refurbished crap down our throats. Yet here, they were willing to let us go in and open up a brand new device to use for ONE WEEK and then come back and get another brand new device when the new Note's were available.

All of that tells me that the odds are quite higher than what we originally thought. That is what convinced me to swap mine out. No plan that I had before is worth the risk. Obviously it may be for OP and others, but as awesome as unlimited data is today while things are great, won't be quite as awesome when you're standing on the curb staring at what used to be your home.
    09-23-2016 12:36 PM
    You can upgrade your phone and still keep your unlimited plan by getting on the device payment plan.
    09-23-2016 12:37 PM
    Respectfully, batteries do not work the way some are implying and key events people were using as a warning are either discredited or seem dubious. If the anode cathode layers are compromised it will show signs, quickly get worse, and not lay dormant like a volcano. The battery physically needs the chemical layers to be compromised and lack of field insulation apparent at point of finished production. The cell at this point (if layers not compromised) is static and would take significant trauma that could create the same situation, even if a perfect battery (a drop significant drop, stabbed cell are examples).

Based on traffic data, the majority continued using their devices. If it were 100% and the hyped events were a leading indicator for extrapolation and even if just .1% were definite, we would be seeing a lot more events- legit ones rather than apparent bogus ones highlighted by the media so far.
    09-23-2016 01:10 PM
    Can you not return it and then just buy a new one in a day or so afterwards?

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I would risk it to keep the unlimited data if that was the only option.
    09-23-2016 01:21 PM
    My bad, did not know Verizon does not throttle under the UDP plan. Regardless, you do not have your old phone to use instead for now?
    Yeah... they don't throttle... they just throw you off their network if you go over 100GB.
    09-23-2016 01:40 PM
    Yeah... they don't throttle... they just throw you off their network if you go over 100GB.
    To be clear,it said well in excess of 100gb which was only used as a reference since it is the largest tier that Verizon has. As usual they were deliberately vague as to how much constitutes well in excess
    09-23-2016 01:56 PM
    This is true but I would rather a throttle during congested times instead of using "too much" and having Verizon send me a letter telling me to either swap plan or they will disconnect me... But I do get your point and it is the main reason I keep my grandfathered unlimited plan from T-Mobile (not the "unlimited" they offer now with toning down video quality).
    The Verizon high data usage letter was a strictly disconnect letter . no option to change the plan.

There were loopholes such as getting your line back in contact or changing the number or calling the same day of disconnection to reinstate the line. No doubt that it is a cat and mouse game though. Verizon might catch them in another sweep.Verizon's attack on their previously mandatory unlimited data plan is only getting started. Because when they mandated it,it made them rich since people weren't using data . now that people use data,they want to kick people off of it
    Almeuit likes this.
    09-23-2016 02:03 PM
    Can you not return it and then just buy a new one in a day or so afterwards?

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I would risk it to keep the unlimited data if that was the only option.
    Yes,provided it is before the end of the month at least for verizon. You don't even have to buy a new one
    09-23-2016 02:04 PM
157 12345 ...