I'm NOT going to exchange my Note 7 through the recall...

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data. Well anyways, apparently to exchange thru Best Buy for the recall, they have to return the unit and restore your upgrade (while calling VZ to do this) and then rebuy. And so Verizon would see that I used a workaround to retain my UDP, and then will remove it. If Best Buy had just done an equipment exchange without getting Verizon involved, I would be good. But that's not the case unfortunately.

So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected? And I do understand that Samsung may also gimp the battery to 60%. That hasn't happened here in the US yet. Hopefully it doesn't. And I know my phone's resale value is pretty much nothing as a result of it being a recall phone. But maybe sometime down the line I might be able to exchange it for a brand new one (when I move onto to another phone) if the recall is still in effect. Who knows.

So.... I think I'm just going to have to CHARGE IT TO THE GAME. :D

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
What will you do when the next firmware update cripples your phone with a persistent nag screen and limits your maximum charge level to 60%? ;)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
...not to mention if it burns down something. At least you'll have that unlimited data.
60% battery will really cripple your phone.

catloverplayer

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
On twitter it was said only half have turned their note 7s in. I swapped mine for a new one yesterday and I'm glad I did because I don't have to worry about my phone catching fire or exploding anymore.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to deal directly with Samsung? Maybe they will swap it with an unlocked phone, which you could just activate with the same SIM?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I find it more comical that you would risk fire or worse just to keep unlimited data. Seems right. Why put yourself at risk or others at risk so you can browse the internet more.

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Im pretty sure most unlimited data nowadays are being throttled after certain GB's used. Are you on a single plan? family plan? Most family plan give a lot of data...

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Last edited:

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried to deal directly with Samsung? Maybe they will swap it with an unlocked phone, which you could just activate with the same SIM?

From what I've been reading, you'll still need to ultimately go thru a carrier. Samsung has had trouble trying to find a shipper that will accept to ship the bad phones.

Im pretty sure most unlimited data nowadays are being throttled after certain GB's used. Are you on a single plan? family plan? Most family plan give a lot of data...

You must be out of the loop. Verizon doesn't throttle LTE. They recently did sent notices to ppl that used in the top 1% of data (dudes that were using multiple TB's of data each month) had to change plans. And it was at the time speculated that number was over just 100GB usage to be flagged, but it was confirmed that 100GB was NOT the threshold and is more than likely a LOT higher. Anyways, AT&T & TMobile throttle/optimize due to network congestion or whatever they call it. Verizon UDP doesn't do any of that. I only average about 50-60GB a month anyways. A >100Gb threshold doesn't affect me.

Last edited:

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
What if you buy one from Samsung.com, move SIM over, and return yours for refund? Would that work? When I purchased mine from Samsung.com, all I did was move my SIM over from my old phone (Verizon).

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't advise on doing that at all it's really not safe. You may not have a problem noa, but somewhere down the line, you may come up with issues. Not to mention that samsung will most likely make an update that will be forced on the phone to lower the battery percentage to prevent a risk of it overheating and potentially blowing up. All this for a plan? I think your safety and others safety is far more important than an unlimited data plan.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
...not to mention if it burns down something. At least you'll have that unlimited data.
60% battery will really cripple your phone.
Based on all the media hyped events getting discredited or dubious, not seeing that, if the device has been used since launch.

The 60% though is a biggy.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
1. I would not risk doing what you are doing. How will you feel if someone gets hurt of worse, or there is a fire other damage? It's not worth it IMO.

2. If I were silly enough (using the kindest words I can think of) to do this, I would not be advertising it here , thereby ensuring there is a record of your ..silliness.. should anything happen in the future causing damage.

We all make our own decisions, I would really really recommend you change yours here. Good luck ..

mikechaudron

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data. Well anyways, apparently to exchange thru Best Buy for the recall, they have to return the unit and restore your upgrade (while calling VZ to do this) and then rebuy. And so Verizon would see that I used a workaround to retain my UDP, and then will remove it. If Best Buy had just done an equipment exchange without getting Verizon involved, I would be good. But that's not the case unfortunately.

So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected? And I do understand that Samsung may also gimp the battery to 60%. That hasn't happened here in the US yet. Hopefully it doesn't. And I know my phone's resale value is pretty much nothing as a result of it being a recall phone. But maybe sometime down the line I might be able to exchange it for a brand new one (when I move onto to another phone) if the recall is still in effect. Who knows.

So.... I think I'm just going to have to CHARGE IT TO THE GAME. :D
The great thing about living in the US is we have free choice on most things. Want to ride your motorcycle without a helmet in Texas? Knock yourself out.

I was the first person to return mine to the local Best Buy. The rep told me I really should keep it, it's no big deal.

I realize the odds of mine having an issue were extremely low, but in my case not one I was willing to accept. It was a pain to have to change phones twice, but I felt it was the right thing to do.

Now that I have my green battery Note 7, I'm extremely pleased. After all is said and done the Note 7 is an amazing phone.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

0.1% of the phones were turned into Samsung with failed or failing batteries in the first few weeks. That does NOT mean that 0.1% have the problem. If the failure rate is linear, it means that more than 1% per year would fail. But it is unlikely to be linear. More likely is that the problem will get worse with time until most of the bad batteries have failed. Unless you know exactly what was wrong with the batteries and what that means for failure rates over time, you are just making guesses based on almost nothing.

Why put yourself and your family at risk? Why make it harder for those of us who are responsible to deal with airlines and such?