I'm NOT going to exchange my Note 7 through the recall...

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, regardless of the chance of this not happening (yes electronic components tend to either fail quickly or after a very long & normal usage period) I am happy to have changed out my N7.0 and not have to worry about it. (I swapped a month to the day, my N7.0 never had any issues, but that doesn't mean It couldn't have failed) Just my 2 cents. (something else to consider, if something ever does happen because you did not swap out a known "At Risk" device that was recalled, you could be held accountable for any mishap to you or someone else) I am not a lawyer, it's just my humble opinion.

Cheers,
BR

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected?

If you are going to play the numbers game, do it right. If 0.1% are affected (in a few weeks). The risk would likely be higher over a period of six months of year. Even worse, if the defect involves components of the battery subject to deterioration, the risk could be exponentially higher.

If you insist on keeping the phone just so you can keep your data plan, I hope you will have the good sense to not put others at risk. Six months from now, I hope you are not on plane with the phone, with me or someone in my family.

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data. Well anyways, apparently to exchange thru Best Buy for the recall, they have to return the unit and restore your upgrade (while calling VZ to do this) and then rebuy. And so Verizon would see that I used a workaround to retain my UDP, and then will remove it. If Best Buy had just done an equipment exchange without getting Verizon involved, I would be good. But that's not the case unfortunately.

So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected? And I do understand that Samsung may also gimp the battery to 60%. That hasn't happened here in the US yet. Hopefully it doesn't. And I know my phone's resale value is pretty much nothing as a result of it being a recall phone. But maybe sometime down the line I might be able to exchange it for a brand new one (when I move onto to another phone) if the recall is still in effect. Who knows.

So.... I think I'm just going to have to CHARGE IT TO THE GAME. :D

I saw where someone in a similar situation called the CPSC and told them they bought there phone from Craig's list and didn't get the info from seller to contact later so they couldn't do an exchange. CPSC got it exchanged for them.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7.

Verizon's UDP is not worth risking the safety of you and everyone around you. I mean, this isn't a 'wearing a helmet' sort of thing.... you aren't the only one at risk. I'm not saying this to be mean, but the choice you are making is really irresponsible and short-sighted and I truly hope that you don't hurt yourself or someone near you because of it. Yes, there might 'only' be a 0.1% chance your phone is vulnerable, but those are 1 in 1000 odds that something might happen. And you won't have any idea how severe an outcome might occur until it happens.

I mean, I'm no expert, but if something bad did happen, you could be be looking at criminal negligence charges. Is that UDP plan worth that much?

I'm not trying to be a pain here... really. I know it blows that you might be in that sort of position to have to make a sacrifice, but it is what is is... and you are absolutely making the wrong choice.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with Leo.

I know your situation with the UDP, but in my eyes, I would rather take the safe route and get it exchanged.

Yes, it's not ideal, but I don't think anything should get in the way of safety

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Can't you just return it and then buy a new one. The loop hole should still be there after the return.

People that comment about not worth it to keep the unlimited data don't know the value of unlimited data, and they don't know that verizon does not slow you down after 5gigs. Even with verizon capping you around 100 gigs month, the plans they have now, 100 gigs is $450 month. That's a $400 increase in cost, $4,800 extra a year. Data usage is going to do nothing but go up, so unlimited is with hanging on to.

With that said, you have till September 30 to return, I would return it and buy a new one. Even full price your saving a ton of money.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
BTW saw an article on another site that says of the 35 N7's that supposedly have exploded, Samsung has been unable to verify that 26 of them ever had a problem at all. In other words, sounds like crap to them. And I think it was already posted here, but that Jeep that burned down wasn't a result of an exploding Note 7, the local fire department determined.

As usual, the media hype is over the top.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want to gamble with your life and property, more power to you. However, unless you live out in the middle of the dessert by yourself, you are putting other people at risk for your unlimited data.

They aren't just putting other people at risk. They went online to brag about it and declare they did so knowingly.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data. Well anyways, apparently to exchange thru Best Buy for the recall, they have to return the unit and restore your upgrade (while calling VZ to do this) and then rebuy. And so Verizon would see that I used a workaround to retain my UDP, and then will remove it. If Best Buy had just done an equipment exchange without getting Verizon involved, I would be good. But that's not the case unfortunately.

So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected? And I do understand that Samsung may also gimp the battery to 60%. That hasn't happened here in the US yet. Hopefully it doesn't. And I know my phone's resale value is pretty much nothing as a result of it being a recall phone. But maybe sometime down the line I might be able to exchange it for a brand new one (when I move onto to another phone) if the recall is still in effect. Who knows.

So.... I think I'm just going to have to CHARGE IT TO THE GAME. :D

I would strongly recommend that you stop using it immediately.

Since it is a federally mandated recall,Samsung must take it back. There are people who bought from a third party who can't return it to a retailer either.

What I would recommend is that you give it to a family member or friend,and have them contact Samsung saying that they got it as a gift. Have them Tell Samsung that they are extremely concerned about their safety and would hold Samsung responsible should the phone cause property damage or injury or death if they don't take it back,and that it isn't legal to not take the phone back . also, tell them that if they don't take it back,that you would take them to court to get a replacement device,but you would rather resolve it amicably and don't want to drag it out if not necessary

I would guess that the regular reps might be useless but if that doesn't work,contact the office of the present

https://consumerist.com/2012/09/13/...ress-for-reaching-executive-customer-service/

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Talk to your carrier, I think with this recall situation they should grandfather or carry it over
Besides, if anything happens its at your own risk from this point forward...Samsung already has given a lot of notices

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
BTW saw an article on another site that says of the 35 N7's that supposedly have exploded, Samsung has been unable to verify that 26 of them ever had a problem at all. In other words, sounds like crap to them. And I think it was already posted here, but that Jeep that burned down wasn't a result of an exploding Note 7, the local fire department determined.

As usual, the media hype is over the top.

I believe during the official government recall they said they have something around 95+ cases confirmed of Note 7s "exploding". As to those that started fires .. that is the another story.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can't you just return it and then buy a new one. The loop hole should still be there after the return.

People that comment about not worth it to keep the unlimited data don't know the value of unlimited data, and they don't know that verizon does not slow you down after 5gigs. Even with verizon capping you around 100 gigs month, the plans they have now, 100 gigs is $450 month. That's a $400 increase in cost, $4,800 extra a year. Data usage is going to do nothing but go up, so unlimited is with hanging on to.

With that said, you have till September 30 to return, I would return it and buy a new one. Even full price your saving a ton of money.

Who slows you down after 5 gigs? I don't remember anyone doing that except AT&T and they stopped that awhile back after being slapped.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A lot of carriers slow you down on unlimited, Sprint, at&t, prepaid line straight talk. I was making a point that verizon does not slow you down at all.

Prepaid yes... But let's compare postpaid since that is what you're talking about with Verizon. With the unlimited from AT&T / T-Mobile and them they only slow down if over an amount (22 GB for AT&T / 26 GB for T-Mobile) and if the network is congested at the time. Once congestion is gone you go back to normal. Yes it still can suck but that isn't that bad. Verizon is coming for those data plans eventually .. the 100 GB cap is just a guess. People have reported losing their unlimited for less than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton