I'm NOT going to exchange my Note 7 through the recall...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I believe during the official government recall they said they have something around 95+ cases confirmed of Note 7s "exploding". As to those that started fires .. that is the another story.

Yeah, the number of confirmed cases from Samsung was well over that.. I think the official count in the US alone was over 100. Now, that 26 number comes from a few articles that talk about Samsung suspecting that there were upwards of 26 incidents that were falsely reported as Note 7 failures. These 26 aren't part of the official counts we've received from Samsung.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Prepaid yes... But let's compare postpaid since that is what you're talking about with Verizon. With the unlimited from AT&T / T-Mobile and them they only slow down if over an amount (22 GB for AT&T / 26 GB for T-Mobile) and if the network is congested at the time. Once congestion is gone you go back to normal. Yes it still can suck but that isn't that bad. Verizon is coming for those data plans eventually .. the 100 GB cap is just a guess. People have reported losing their unlimited for less than that.
But as stated, verizon does not throttle you at any gig usage, that's what I'm saying. The 100 gigs is speculation of course.

Down the road if verizon does yank unlimited data then we will deal with it then, but right now it's a value to have.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe during the official government recall they said they have something around 95+ cases confirmed of Note 7s "exploding". As to those that started fires .. that is the another story.

95 in the US alone, which is roughly 40% of affected shipments. 26 cases globally (almost two weeks after that number) they're saying were not related.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And I think it was already posted here, but that Jeep that burned down wasn't a result of an exploding Note 7, the local fire department determined.

The fire department was unable to conclude that it was caused solely by the phone. That's not the same as concluding that the phone wasn't the cause or involved, it means inconclusive.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But as stated, verizon does not throttle you at any gig usage, that's what I'm saying. The 100 gigs is speculation of course.

Down the road if verizon does yank unlimited data then we will deal with it then, but right now it's a value to have.

This is true but I would rather a throttle during congested times instead of using "too much" and having Verizon send me a letter telling me to either swap plan or they will disconnect me... But I do get your point and it is the main reason I keep my grandfathered unlimited plan from T-Mobile (not the "unlimited" they offer now with toning down video quality).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would strongly recommend that you stop using it immediately.

Since it is a federally mandated recall,Samsung must take it back. There are people who bought from a third party who can't return it to a retailer either.

What I would recommend is that you give it to a family member or friend,and have them contact Samsung saying that they got it as a gift. Have them Tell Samsung that they are extremely concerned about their safety and would hold Samsung responsible should the phone cause property damage or injury or death if they don't take it back,and that it isn't legal to not take the phone back . also, tell them that if they don't take it back,that you would take them to court to get a replacement device,but you would rather resolve it amicably and don't want to drag it out if not necessary

I would guess that the regular reps might be useless but if that doesn't work,contact the office of the present

https://consumerist.com/2012/09/13/...ress-for-reaching-executive-customer-service/

Quoting this whole thing because it is a reasonable solution that is extremely likely to work. Read this stuff that was quoted ^^

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
After 26 GB of use and if the network is congested at the time. Once congestion leaves -- it is gone.

Got this from the T-Mobile forums

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/82144?start=0&tstart=0

If you're paying for the Unlimited Data plan (The $30 data plan on top of your standard monthly charge of $50 for a single line, meaning $80 for a single line, different base plan cost on family plans...), you should never get throttled.

If you're on the $50 plan (base plan), you have 1GB of up to high speed data before they throttle you. At the end of your bill cycle your speed returns until you hit 1GB again. Unlimited data at throttled speeds after that.

The $60 plan ($50 base + $10 2GB add-on), you have 3GB of up to high speed data before they throttle you. Unlimited data at throttled speeds after that.

The $70 plan ($50 base + $20 4GB add-on), you have 5GB of up to high speed data before they throttle you. Unlimited data at throttled speeds after that.

The $80 plan ($50 base + $30 Unlimited add-on), you have unlimited high speed data and shouldn't get throttled.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This is true but I would rather a throttle during congested times instead of using "too much" and having Verizon send me a letter telling me to either swap plan or they will disconnect me... But I do get your point and it is the main reason I keep my grandfathered unlimited plan from T-Mobile (not the "unlimited" they offer now with toning down video quality).
I get your point to. I was just trying to point out to some that unlimited data is worth keeping, but I would try to find a way to replace that phone or return it.

If verizon offered me 50 gigs with throttled after 50 gigs to give up my unlimited data, I might do that, I might do it for 30 gigs.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
#1 those are old

#2 in your own defense you just said ... "The $80 plan ($50 base + $30 Unlimited add-on), you have unlimited high speed data and shouldn't get throttled." -- We are talking about the unlimited plan obviously not the capped ones lol. Trust me .. I know the carrier stuff like the back of my hand ;).

Haha ok I was just testing ya

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
From what I've been reading, you'll still need to ultimately go thru a carrier. Samsung has had trouble trying to find a shipper that will accept to ship the bad phones.

You must be out of the loop. Verizon doesn't throttle LTE. They recently did sent notices to ppl that used in the top 1% of data (dudes that were using multiple TB's of data each month) had to change plans. And it was at the time speculated that number was over just 100GB usage to be flagged, but it was confirmed that 100GB was NOT the threshold and is more than likely a LOT higher. Anyways, AT&T & TMobile throttle/optimize due to network congestion or whatever they call it. Verizon UDP doesn't do any of that. I only average about 50-60GB a month anyways. A >100Gb threshold doesn't affect me.

My bad, did not know Verizon does not throttle under the UDP plan. Regardless, you do not have your old phone to use instead for now?

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
From what I've been reading, you'll still need to ultimately go thru a carrier. Samsung has had trouble trying to find a shipper that will accept to ship the bad phones.

You must be out of the loop. Verizon doesn't throttle LTE. They recently did sent notices to ppl that used in the top 1% of data (dudes that were using multiple TB's of data each month) had to change plans. And it was at the time speculated that number was over just 100GB usage to be flagged, but it was confirmed that 100GB was NOT the threshold and is more than likely a LOT higher. Anyways, AT&T & TMobile throttle/optimize due to network congestion or whatever they call it. Verizon UDP doesn't do any of that. I only average about 50-60GB a month anyways. A >100Gb threshold doesn't affect me.

Wow, I struggle to use my measly 6 GB...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They recently did sent notices to ppl that used in the top 1% of data (dudes that were using multiple TB's of data each month) had to change plans

While they did get those people it wasn't only those people. Many who do 150-200 GB got it as well.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
people managed to use multiple TB's in a single month? This is why we can't have nice things.
Most I ever used was like 18 gigs but that was on a family plan........a terabyte is crazy on a phone those people are definitely using their phone as a hotspot for their home internet lol