I'm NOT going to exchange my Note 7 through the recall...

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully Samsung and the carriers will work together to disable the affected phones that aren't returned. Hey there's only a .1 percent chance this phone will burn down my house and kill my grandson. Seems worth it to me for unlimited data.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to why you needed a loophole. I have UDP on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile (don't ask) - and for UDP on Verizon - you are eligible for upgrades of phones and retain your UDP because they increased the monthly fee by like $20 - but that was the "added bonus" of them increasing it - and that was making you eligible for upgrade of the phone with plans and retain your UDP instead of having to buy full price outright.

My Note7 is on the UDP on AT&T and I bought it outright so there was no issue, but AT&T also allows upgrade while retaining you UDP.

As far as any throttling for people with UDP (since I keep up with this info for obv reasons):

Verizon does not (as they claim) throttle especially after they upped the monthly fee by $20.
AT&T will network optimize after 22GB/month (they increased the fee by $5 recently - used to be after 5GB/month) but only if there is network congestion in the area and you are at the top 1 percent or something.
T-Mobile will network optimize after 21GB/month but also only if there is network congestion in the area and you are in the top tier of users.

So, while UDP may seem like relics of the past that aren't worth keeping - because the providers realized how many people have retained them - they found a way to monetize by increasing the fees but then throwing a bone to us in the same token. Keeping UDP still makes sense in a lot of cases (but not sure for the safety of the phone itself, though).

One disadvantage of the old UDP by Verizon and AT&T is unless you previously had a hotspot subscription previously before they got rid of the plans, you are not able use your data for tethering. I happen to have the unlimited hotspot feature on my UDP on Verizon, so it's hard to get rid of the plan now. LOL T-Mobile allows 7GB-14GB/month tethering depending on when you signed up for their Simple Choice plans.

Oops sorry to go off tangent!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as to why you needed a loophole. I have UDP on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile (don't ask) - and for UDP on Verizon - you are eligible for upgrades of phones and retain your UDP because they increased the monthly fee by like $20 - but that was the "added bonus" of them increasing it - and that was making you eligible for upgrade of the phone with plans and retain your UDP instead of having to buy full price outright.

My Note7 is on the UDP on AT&T and I bought it outright so there was no issue, but AT&T also allows upgrade while retaining you UDP.

As far as any throttling for people with UDP (since I keep up with this info for obv reasons):

Verizon does not (as they claim) throttle especially after they upped the monthly fee by $20.
AT&T will network optimize after 22GB/month (they increased the fee by $5 recently - used to be after 5GB/month) but only if there is network congestion in the area and you are at the top 1 percent or something.
T-Mobile will network optimize after 21GB/month but also only if there is network congestion in the area and you are in the top tier of users.

So, while UDP may seem like relics of the past that aren't worth keeping - because the providers realized how many people have retained them - they found a way to monetize by increasing the fees but then throwing a bone to us in the same token. Keeping UDP still makes sense in a lot of cases (but not sure for the safety of the phone itself, though).

One disadvantage of the old UDP by Verizon and AT&T is unless you previously had a hotspot subscription previously before they got rid of the plans, you are not able use your data for tethering. I happen to have the unlimited hotspot feature on my UDP on Verizon, so it's hard to get rid of the plan now. LOL T-Mobile allows 7GB-14GB/month tethering depending on when you signed up for their Simple Choice plans.

Oops sorry to go off tangent!
If I recall right, yes you can upgrade your phone at full retail price thru the device payment program. But for grandfathered plans that have unlimited data you have the option to do a contract upgrade for a lot less money, the note 7 was $299 with contract. If your line has unlimited data, you can't do the contract price, just full retail device payment, hence why you need to use the loop hole out there, 2 of them I know of. I'm glad I didn't have to use the loop hole for the note 7 as it would have created an extra headache above the one we all have already had with a normal recall

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If I recall right, yes you can upgrade your phone at full retail price thru the device payment program. But for grandfathered plans that have unlimited data you have the option to do a contract upgrade for a lot less money, the note 7 was $299 with contract. If your line has unlimited data, you can't do the contract price, just full retail device payment, hence why you need to use the loop hole out there, 2 of them I know of. I'm glad I didn't have to use the loop hole for the note 7 as it would have created an extra headache above the one we all have already had with a normal recall

Hmm, are you talking about Verizon? None of the carriers do subsidized contracts anymore in the US (except maybe Sprint?) but you can have contracts to pay the phone off in installments. I know that in my UDP for Verizon and AT&T, I am able to retain my UDP if I upgraded to the Note 7 and signed and installment contract. For Verizon, that was not possible until early this year when they changed the rules after increasing the monthly fee by $20.

I personally just paid for it outright because I didn't feel like signing a installment payment contract. I also have a GS7edge on AT&T where I did do that so I'm paying that off in a 2 year contract that I can end any time by paying the balance and I still retained the UDP.

That being said - you are totally right - all of this is a headache because many people that work there don't understand and they often can screw things up. All it takes is for a wrong button press that you don't notice and poof there goes your UDP and they can't get it back because now the carrier's corp office needs to fix it. Ugh - I've had issues like that before.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, are you talking about Verizon? None of the carriers do subsidized contracts anymore in the US (except maybe Sprint?) but you can have contracts to pay the phone off in installments. I know that in my UDP for Verizon and AT&T, I am able to retain my UDP if I upgraded to the Note 7 and signed and installment contract. For Verizon, that was not possible until early this year when they changed the rules after increasing the monthly fee by $20.

I personally just paid for it outright because I didn't feel like signing a installment payment contract. I also have a GS7edge on AT&T where I did do that so I'm paying that off in a 2 year contract that I can end any time by paying the balance and I still retained the UDP.

That being said - you are totally right - all of this is a headache because many people that work there don't understand and they often can screw things up. All it takes is for a wrong button press that you don't notice and poof there goes your UDP and they can't get it back because now the carrier's corp office needs to fix it. Ugh - I've had issues like that before.
Yes I'm talking Verizon. The plans that have unlimited data yet allow for subsidized contract unless it's unlimited.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If you still have an older plan, you can have a subsidized phone and a two-year deal with Big Red. I'm talking about the old Nationwide Plans, before the Verizon Edge nonsense and the new Verizon Plan. And that's even if you've given up your UDP.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's another angle, although I almost hate to suggest it... the bottom line is (IMO, of course)
1.) You didn't make the unsafe phone; you bought it with goodwill, expecting it to be safe.
2.) You shouldn't be punished because Verizon somehow uses this as a loophole.
3.) Approx. 100 issues (some probably faked) out of 2.5 million phones is 99.996% safe. You're probably safe for at least a day or two while you try to find reasonable people to speak with.

Again, call Sammy. Tell them how hot your phone is getting. Get them involved and let the chips fall where they may. If you lose your data plan, which I believe(?) you said was worth about $5000/year to you, then sue Samsung. Lawyers will salivate over working with you. They will likely settle out of court, and you will be done.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm talking Verizon. The plans that have unlimited data yet allow for subsidized contract unless it's unlimited.

But those who have unlimited data plans can get the subsidized contract price. I just checked online myself (I stand corrected, I didn't realize that Verizon still had subsidized contract pricing) and I have the old unlimited data plan and I can pay in monthly installments, 2 yr subsidized contract pricing, or full retail. I can do any of these and keep my unlimited data plan. Verizon allowed this ever since they increased their the old unlimited plan pricing by $20/mo.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you still have an older plan, you can have a subsidized phone and a two-year deal with Big Red. I'm talking about the old Nationwide Plans, before the Verizon Edge nonsense and the new Verizon Plan. And that's even if you've given up your UDP.

Yes, I stand corrected - I didn't realize Verizon still did subsidized pricing 2 yr contracts as I just checked my own account online that has the old UDP and I am able to do exactly that since it's not on any contract right now.

But I guess that is what I don't understand. Why did OP need a loophole to get the Note7 to retain the UDP when you can get the Note7 through regular channels via Verizon.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
But those who have unlimited data plans can get the subsidized contract price. I just checked online myself (I stand corrected, I didn't realize that Verizon still had subsidized contract pricing) and I have the old unlimited data plan and I can pay in monthly installments, 2 yr subsidized contract pricing, or full retail. I can do any of these and keep my unlimited data plan. Verizon allowed this ever since they increased their the old unlimited plan pricing by $20/mo.
I was not aware that you can do subsidizing contract with unlimited data, thought it was just the full DPP. I'll check that out thanks

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data.

So personally if I were in your situation I would be doing the same thing...the only issue is if you have received the update that is supposed to change your battery to green. I read a couple of articles and saw several comments saying that even though the phone is charging to 100% it's been reduced to the capacity of 2100mah (60%). At first I didn't think this was true but then I noticed my phone was charging extremely slowly and dying faster than before the update. Also I couldn't take the stupid recall pop-up every single time I plugged my charger in. I went and got a replacement right away but I have T-mobile so I have unlimited data.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I was not aware that you can do subsidizing contract with unlimited data, thought it was just the full DPP. I'll check that out thanks

Haha, I just found out myself when I went into my account. I thought you were only able to do installment pricing or full price! But there it is, 2 yr contract price too.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I have UDP and I was buying my phones at full retail until VZW started allowing subsidized phones again. I was able to buy the Note 7 subsidized @ $299 and able to keep my UDP and lock in a contract for 2yrs too...

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm with Verizon, and have UDP. I purchased the N7 at the subsidized price of $299. There were no "loopholes" to keep my unlimited data. But in the past there was, which is why I only just now upgraded from my Note 3.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well you guys got lucky or they closed the door. Not letting me to it without losing unlimited data.

ef876db4635dfed164b8b8d6c9f42ced.jpg

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Verizon, and have UDP. I purchased the N7 at the subsidized price of $299. There were no "loopholes" to keep my unlimited data. But in the past there was, which is why I only just now upgraded from my Note 3.
I don't get the attraction.u pay an extra 30 a month to have subsidized phone then another what 36 a month to pay for the phone? Wouldn't it be much cheaper to pay full price up front with a charge card?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you on the $29 UDP or the $49 UDP?
The one I was trying is the $29 plan. Damn, forgot about that, I was trying to get it under contract as I can upgrade it but the contract ends in October. Might have to play around with the loop hole deal, upgrade the 49 plan and then do the transfer upgrade on the $29 plan. LOL, lot of work but would put the $29 plan under contract for another 2 years.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the attraction.u pay an extra 30 a month to have subsidized phone then another what 36 a month to pay for the phone? Wouldn't it be much cheaper to pay full price up front with a charge card?
Not following you here.

With a subsidized contract we pay $299 for the phone, that's it. We agree to a 2 year contract or pay a ETF.

The ETF is $350 and goes down every month of we decide to shut off service and the phone is ours to keep. So even if I shut down service in one month, $300 for phone and $350 for ETF, grand total of $650. That's $200 cheaper then retail in the note 7. Device payment is in place of a contract.

I might be missing your point

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not following you here.

With a subsidized contract we pay $299 for the phone, that's it. We agree to a 2 year contract or pay a ETF.

The ETF is $350 and goes down every month of we decide to shut off service and the phone is ours to keep. So even if I shut down service in one month, $300 for phone and $350 for ETF, grand total of $650. That's $200 cheaper then retail in the note 7. Device payment is in place of a contract.

I might be missing your point
I was confusing subsidized with monthly payback. U do pay an extra 30 a month for the line for 2 years though right (if u stay with vzw) ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton