I'm NOT going to exchange my Note 7 through the recall...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can. But there's a reason that most of us continue put up with slow or nonexistent updates, limited device availability, excess bloatware, an orphan network, and overpay for Verizon.
But point was vzw also charges less per line for 4 lines than 2

wolverine2003

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data. Well anyways, apparently to exchange thru Best Buy for the recall, they have to return the unit and restore your upgrade (while calling VZ to do this) and then rebuy. And so Verizon would see that I used a workaround to retain my UDP, and then will remove it. If Best Buy had just done an equipment exchange without getting Verizon involved, I would be good. But that's not the case unfortunately.

So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected? And I do understand that Samsung may also gimp the battery to 60%. That hasn't happened here in the US yet. Hopefully it doesn't. And I know my phone's resale value is pretty much nothing as a result of it being a recall phone. But maybe sometime down the line I might be able to exchange it for a brand new one (when I move onto to another phone) if the recall is still in effect. Who knows.

So.... I think I'm just going to have to CHARGE IT TO THE GAME. :D

I have UDP and used the "loophole" to maintain it. When i exchanged my Note 7, I had to activate it on the tiered data line and then swap the sim cards. As for Verizon finding out you're using the loophole, I flat out told them what I was doing and why. I don't get any resistance from them.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have UDP and used the "loophole" to maintain it. When i exchanged my Note 7, I had to activate it on the tiered data line and then swap the sim cards. As for Verizon finding out you're using the loophole, I flat out told them what I was doing and why. I don't get any resistance from them.
I understand that. I cannot because wife is not due for upgrade. I also heard that doesn't work anymore so pleased it worked for you.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I paid full price for my last 3 phones. Returned the Note 7 for money back when I heard about recall.

My bill goes up $20 in October so may go to Max 16gb shared plan and buy LG V20 or iPhone 7 plus in Oct sometime and go with subsidized plan.

I think then monthly bill about the same but will also have free hotspot.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data. Well anyways, apparently to exchange thru Best Buy for the recall, they have to return the unit and restore your upgrade (while calling VZ to do this) and then rebuy. And so Verizon would see that I used a workaround to retain my UDP, and then will remove it. If Best Buy had just done an equipment exchange without getting Verizon involved, I would be good. But that's not the case unfortunately.

So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected? And I do understand that Samsung may also gimp the battery to 60%. That hasn't happened here in the US yet. Hopefully it doesn't. And I know my phone's resale value is pretty much nothing as a result of it being a recall phone. But maybe sometime down the line I might be able to exchange it for a brand new one (when I move onto to another phone) if the recall is still in effect. Who knows.

So.... I think I'm just going to have to CHARGE IT TO THE GAME. :D

Dude turn it in . We've all decided it's the best way to put this lil issue behind us and to get the FAA warnings lifted just do it

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I don't get the attraction.u pay an extra 30 a month to have subsidized phone then another what 36 a month to pay for the phone? Wouldn't it be much cheaper to pay full price up front with a charge card?
No. The full price of the phone for me was $299, which I paid for upfront. My monthly bill is still the same as before I got the Note 7.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What subsidized price? When your device goes off contract your line cost drops $20 and that goes back on with a two year. All the two year does is stick you with a two year contract and $480 more on the phone bill.

No telling how many hundreds of millions they make with some folks not realizing this.

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
The same as your last 2 year subsidized plan right?
897697eda5677543ffa2d1e6ea8ec704.jpg

My monthly bill that should remain the same for next 2 years.

Oops, plus this part.

f42978fbc872a30382837764d53ef854.jpg

Then there's a $9.99 fee for my wife's basic phone, plus more taxes. Total of around $130 per month.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yup. My plan is very similar. Just 500 min instead of 700 but my wife has subsidized 2gb plan and she pays more. You finagled the bagel. Congrats. We just did what VZW would do at store.

I would have thought your wife's plan would go up $20.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
What subsidized price? When your device goes off contract your line cost drops $20 and that goes back on with a two year. All the two year does is stick you with a two year contract and $480 more on the phone bill.

No telling how many hundreds of millions they make with some folks not realizing this.
We don't pay the $20 a month on contract phone till the phone is paid off. Contract price we pay a flat price $299 for the note 7, no other charges.

We are on grandfathered plans that are priced different then the device payment plans. And most of us on these plans also have unlimited data, not available on DPP, or edge.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
We don't pay the $20 a month on contract phone till the phone is paid off. Contract price we pay a flat price $299 for the note 7, no other charges.

We are on grandfathered plans that are priced different then the device payment plans. And most of us on these plans also have unlimited data, not available on DPP, or edge.
They wouldn't let me do subsidized with udp.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That part gets complicated. I am typing you this on my note 7 on my unlimited data line. There's ways, you have to get creative
I remember the old thread about it but my wife doesn't have an upgrade and my phone uses dif sized sim.

That thread and reddit thread also said old method no longer works.

You did well my friend. Glad somebody getting the better of big red.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I remember the old thread about it but my wife doesn't have an upgrade and my phone uses dif sized sim.
Yeah, I don't get to use it all the time. I have 8 lines, 4 with unlimited data, so it gets fun juggling lines around to get upgraded for the unlimited data lines. Verizon usually gives up trying to figure out what line a phone was upgraded on my account.