I'm NOT going to exchange my Note 7 through the recall...

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
What subsidized price? When your device goes off contract your line cost drops $20 and that goes back on with a two year. All the two year does is stick you with a two year contract and $480 more on the phone bill.

No telling how many hundreds of millions they make with some folks not realizing this.
I renewed my contract in 2013 with my Note 3. Last year when my contract ran out, my cost did not drop.

When I started another 2 year contract with this note 7, my monthly cost did not go up.

I pay the same as I would have if I would have never upgraded and kept using the Note 3, except for the $299 cost to buy the Note 7.

lions_lair99

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I've got a unique situation where I took advantage of a loophole in order to retain my unlimited data. And for those that still have UDP (you know what I'm talking about) losing it is unacceptable. If you're not familiar with this, Google the Slickdeals mega thread (almost 1800 pages) on how to keep your unlimited data. Well anyways, apparently to exchange thru Best Buy for the recall, they have to return the unit and restore your upgrade (while calling VZ to do this) and then rebuy. And so Verizon would see that I used a workaround to retain my UDP, and then will remove it. If Best Buy had just done an equipment exchange without getting Verizon involved, I would be good. But that's not the case unfortunately.

So... I think I'm just going to keep my original Note 7. It works great. I understand there is a risk of implosion, but Samsung did say that it's only what, 0.1% affected? And I do understand that Samsung may also gimp the battery to 60%. That hasn't happened here in the US yet. Hopefully it doesn't. And I know my phone's resale value is pretty much nothing as a result of it being a recall phone. But maybe sometime down the line I might be able to exchange it for a brand new one (when I move onto to another phone) if the recall is still in effect. Who knows.

So.... I think I'm just going to have to CHARGE IT TO THE GAME. :D
Just get one of the new batteries, and have it changed out...

bk41794

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I exchanged mine and I recommend the same. Not really because of the super small fire risk but because of the rare event that it would happen you would probably be given a used or refurbished phone. And the recall ends the 30th of this month and after that you're basically sol

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a great example of how people think they know SO much better than others, and that their way is, of course, the only right one. It pisses me off to no end

It's no different than the loser here in my office who FREAKED OUT (literally) when he found out I had one of the early Note 7s and that I sat about 6' from him and DEMANDED that it be removed from the building immediately. Even if the thing had popped it would have done NO harm to him at all. Worst case I might have gotten burned. I was aware of the situation and was willing to take the risk, and would have only had the thing another week anyway. But no, Mr. Know It All and his Emotions-Over-Facts mentality had to take precedence.

People wonder why personal responsibility doesn't exist anymore, and a big reason is because everybody else thinks they know better and won't allow people to actually exercise it.

So to everybody going nuts over him keeping his phone, get over yourselves. It's his choice.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You're 100% correct that it's his choice.

Just as it's 100% our choice to comment on how the choice he is making is a foolish one. He doesn't have to care what we think, and no one else does either. I don't personally care one bit whether or not he chooses to take the risk. Except for the off chance that there's a problem and the whole media frenzy is renewed because he decided to keep the defective Note. I will however, comment my opinion and state that I don't think even a 0.00000001% chance is worth my family's safety or that of my personal belongings. Especially when it's a complete unnecessary risk, as there's plenty of replacement units available.

exdrinker

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
You're 100% correct that it's his choice.

Just as it's 100% our choice to comment on how the choice he is making is a foolish one. He doesn't have to care what we think, and no one else does either. I don't personally care one bit whether or not he chooses to take the risk. Except for the off chance that there's a problem and the whole media frenzy is renewed because he decided to keep the defective Note. I will however, comment my opinion and state that I don't think even a 0.00000001% chance is worth my family's safety or that of my personal belongings. Especially when it's a complete unnecessary risk, as there's plenty of replacement units available.
"I will however, comment my opinion and state that I don't think even a 0.00000001% chance is worth my family's safety or that of my personal belongings."

Better not ever get in a car or on an airplane then. The odds of dying in these things is far higher than your threshold. House fires and lightning strikes are also more common.

That being said, it is absolutely an immoral and willfully negligent decision to not replace the recalled phones.

OP~Buy a new phone outright and return or destroy the old one.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
"I will however, comment my opinion and state that I don't think even a 0.00000001% chance is worth my family's safety or that of my personal belongings."

Better not ever get in a car or on an airplane then. The odds of dying in these things is far higher than your threshold. House fires and lightning strikes are also more common.

That being said, it is absolutely an immoral and willfully negligent decision to not replace the recalled phones.

While I get the point you were trying to make it is really hard to avoid airplanes or cars if you want to pretty much live and do things but you don't have to have a note 7 you can have many other phone choices in order to facilitate your needs so I think your comparison isn't exactly up to scale on what you were trying to say.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Im pretty sure most unlimited data nowadays are being throttled after certain GB's used. Are you on a single plan? family plan? Most family plan give a lot of data...
My unlimited data plan isn't throttled it's actually threw a 3rd party company uses verizon towers and I pay 135 a month through a Verizon netgear mbr1515 router. I use around 300gb-500gb a month no throttles.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My unlimited data plan isn't throttled it's actually threw a 3rd party company uses verizon towers and I pay 135 a month through a Verizon netgear mbr1515 router. I use around 300gb-500gb a month no throttles.

Be careful. They are snatching unlimited away from people who average over 100 GB a month. Ensure you haven't already gotten the letter in the mail / online bill.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Be careful. They are snatching unlimited away from people who average over 100 GB a month. Ensure you haven't already gotten the letter in the mail / online bill.
I don't even deal with the billing the 3rd party company does I just pay 135 a month and that's it :) I don't even see the bill just 135 comes out of my bank account and I continue to use unlimited data.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The difference is, I HAVE to get in a car so I can get to work. No one HAS to keep a phone that has even a minute chance of catching fire. My point was, if you have the control of the situation and can eliminate even a small percentage chance of danger, who wouldn't jump all over that chance?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca